Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2018 6:41:31 PM EDT
I have a FDE MCX Virtus pistol that came with a 11.5" barrel in 5.56 and a midlength handguard in FDE from the factory.  The factory FDE finish appeared to be duracoated and was nice and smooth.

For Christmas, I picked up a caliber conversion kit for the MCX with a 9" 300 Black Out barrel and bought the FDE PDW length handguard for it to fit properly.

After looking at the new handguard from Sig, it seems as though it is anodized in a slightly darker color and not duracoated like the factory handguard.

Has anyone else noticed a color and texture difference on the new handguards in FDE?

I bought my barrel conversion and handguard from an authorized reseller and it came in the factory sealed boxes for each.

Did Sig switch to annodizing instead of duracoat for replacement parts?
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought the factory coating was Cerakote, but could be wrong.

Id like to see a pic to see how off the two are
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. I have a FDE VIRTUS. Purchased a suppressor handguard and it is darker and appears to be anodized rather than Cerakoted. If anyone has the older version which matches my gun I would love to purchase. Just purchased a minimalist stock and having it Cerakoted. Might get the handguard done at the same time...

Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My handguard is the exact same color as the one above.  Looks almost like Coyote in certain light, and definitely too dark for FDE.   It is kind of growing on me, having the two tone look, but I am glad others have had the same color difference as I was worried I got a one off.

I have an FDE Carbine length rail in FDE if anyone gets one with the darker finish and wants to swap someday.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd keep it, it looks awesome. Very Scar-ish.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe that SIG uses a mix of Cerakote, Anodizing, and Ion-Bond for their FDE and what finish is applied where, varies on different parts of the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I think they switched from cerakote to anodizing in recent months.  I know I saw something from a factory rep on the receivers and it would only make sense they would do it on the rails as well.  Not great for matching but should be better for durability.  COREGON should know or be able to find out.  It may even been from him where I heard it just don't recall for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top