Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 12:29:22 PM EDT
I've always wanted a MCR upper but never liked the modified bolt catches and hated the thought of having to hammer a roll pin in/out of my RR before and after a range trip.

But I stumbled upon this KNS Bolt Catch Retaining Pin. Basically just a mini version of a dust cover rod and c-clip.

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/kns-precision-inc-bolt-catch-retaining-pin/

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Spartikis: Interesting  idea. Going to try one out and see how it works.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting idea if they stay in place and don't lose the c clip.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting idea if they stay in place and don't lose the c clip.
View Quote

Despite what their ad text says, the ad photo shows all three retainers are e clips, not c clips.  You might say it's a total e clips photo.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Despite what their ad text says, the ad photo shows all three retainers are e clips, not c clips.  You might say it's a total e clips photo.
View Quote

What’s the difference?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What’s the difference?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s the difference?

As I understand it, E-clips are better than C-clips for resisting thrust loads.

And SecondAmend, as long as you're not playing "A Total E Clips of the Heart" in the background.

[Edit]

E-Clips - fastenal.com

External Crescent Rings - fastenal.com
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I totally forgot about this issue with the bolt catch and the MCR..

You can install a Fightlite MCR Extended bolt catch but with a regular AR-15 upper, it looks strange..
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Installed the KNS bolt catch pin and used it for one outing. The "E-Clip" seems to be holding, though it is very tiny. Pin is a little undersized, so it does not fit tightly, which I don't think is a problem. I suppose the hole in the receiver could potentially become "egged," just from the pin banging around as the bolt is caught and released thousands of times. I'm going to keep using the KNS pin, as I really don't like the extended bolt release hanging out there when I'm not using the Shrike upper.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just get another lower dedicated to the Shrike?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I was doing more research.. and I found these...

1. Some companies make threaded bolt catch holes for their lowers.  AeroPrecision lowers, Sharp Bros Gen 2 lowers use the screw version.  Of course this means if you want to use it on your specific lower, you have to get it threaded.  It's not hard to do, but of course you need the tools and make sure your doing it straight.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-threaded-lower-catch-pin
https://sharpsbros.com/bolt-catch-screw-6-40/

2. Other idea is finding a Phase 5 or other bolt lock/release lever into the trigger guard that can be modified to a lower profile... I use a Magpul BAD and love it, but imagine shaved down Phase 5 for the MCR/Shrike!

3. (This one I just found..) Lightning Bolt Release.. insert a full magazine it drops the bolt.  https://www.smith-tactics.com/products/accessories-smith-tactics-002b-3628

4. (this is what came originally on my MCR) a bolt catch without a paddle, hence need to use the charging handle to charge.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why not just get another lower dedicated to the Shrike?
View Quote

Works if you have a RLL, RDIAS or a post-sample lower.

But not an option for anyone with a transferable RR.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was doing more research.. and I found these...

1. Some companies make threaded bolt catch holes for their lowers.  AeroPrecision lowers, Sharp Bros Gen 2 lowers use the screw version.  Of course this means if you want to use it on your specific lower, you have to get it threaded.  It's not hard to do, but of course you need the tools and make sure your doing it straight.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-threaded-lower-catch-pin
https://sharpsbros.com/bolt-catch-screw-6-40/

2. Other idea is finding a Phase 5 or other bolt lock/release lever into the trigger guard that can be modified to a lower profile... I use a Magpul BAD and love it, but imagine shaved down Phase 5 for the MCR/Shrike!

3. (This one I just found..) Lightning Bolt Release.. insert a full magazine it drops the bolt.  https://www.smith-tactics.com/products/accessories-smith-tactics-002b-3628

4. (this is what came originally on my MCR) a bolt catch without a paddle, hence need to use the charging handle to charge.
View Quote

My thoughts:
1. If you have the ability to use a newly manufactured lower as a MG you can just get dedicate flower.

2. This would work and be low profile  but would require you.

3. Neat concept but may create issues when clearing jams.

4. If you use the original paddleless bolt catch you have to use your charging handle to release the bolt which just takes extra time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My thoughts:
1. If you have the ability to use a newly manufactured lower as a MG you can just get dedicate flower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My thoughts:

Unless your a 07 we know we can't just create a lower, but there is no reason you can't tap/tgread it so you can use it on you RR. If you don't want to mod a RR, totally understand. It was just a idea instead of using a E clip.. Which can get lost more easily than a screw.

2. This would work and be low profile  but would require you.

It isn't hard work.. Snip a minimum of 2 spots.

3. Neat concept but may create issues when clearing jams.

Actually I didn't think this one through.. On Shrike you still need to use the charging handle to release.. But at least when running a regular upper it will work fine. Plus how would it respond to the magwell adapter..
Not sure how much of an issue it would be but if it works..

4. If you use the original paddleless bolt catch you have to use your charging handle to release the bolt which just takes extra time.

Yeah, I don't like this one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I run the teal blue bravo BHOR on my MCR. The real issue here is that you should have a dedicated lower for this upper. That being said, the belt fed only lowers I make for the Shrike/MCR uppers doesn’t even have a BHO feature.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
If you don't mind scuffing the finish on the lower receiver, a 5/64-in x 1-5/16-in hitch pin (aka hair pin) clip can be used as an easy in/easy out, positive retainer for the BHO parts.  Cost is less than a dollar for a pair.  I occasionally use one on an 80% lower that I use as a fixture for working on uppers.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Best of luck, be well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Very cool
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you don't mind scuffing the finish on the lower receiver, a 5/64-in x 1-5/16-in hitch pin (aka hair pin) clip can be used as an easy in/easy out, positive retainer for the BHO parts.  Cost is less than a dollar for a pair.  I occasionally use one on an 80% lower that I use as a fixture for working on uppers.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Best of luck, be well.
View Quote

If you could find a brass hitch pin, it shouldnt, in theory scratch the lower.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I finally picked up a Phase 5 extended bolt release.  I cut off part of the top and now it functions the way I want.. where I can release or lock my bold using my index finger.  Seems like it is stable enough not to bend without the extra support.
I might fill the gap with some JB Weld or something to add extra support.

Just thought to share.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top