Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2019 12:52:47 PM EDT
So I'm on my second B.E Meyers MAWL. Sold the first one and missed it so much that I bought another. The problem I'm having and it could just be me, but I don't remember the first one doing this is when on mid-range and long range settings I'm seeing what I think are IR light abnormalities. On the mid-range setting the 16* IR Laser flood emitter looks "speckled", almost like it's dirty or has water spots on it, but this is brand new. On the long range setting there is a square like halo around the 4* IR laser flood emitter. I tried to capture this in photos the best I could, but trying to hold a camera and binos in one hand while hold the MAWL in the other is kinda tough. I read the manual and tried cleaning the lenses with a q-tip, but that did not fix it. Like I said, this could just be me, but I don't remember this with the first one.

The dark spots around the focused beam are what I'm seeing. They aren't part of the ground.
Attachment Attached File

You can kinda see the bottom of the square halo in the pic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Heres some more pics, might be able to see what I'm talking about a little better. First two are of the mid-range setting and you can somewhat see that outside the main beam it looks dirty. The last pic is long range and you can see the square halo.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't  noticed that. If I get a chance tonight I will check it out and report back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It's normal when using the mid range settings up close.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't  noticed that. If I get a chance tonight I will check it out and report back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks, I appreciate it. It almost looks like static on a tv screen or like the lens has dried water on it.

Quoted:
It's normal when using the mid range settings up close.
What about the glare/square halo on the long range setting?
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What about the glare/square halo on the long range setting?
View Quote
It's the same on mine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's the same on mine.
View Quote
Thanks for the info!

@thebomber were you able to test your yet?
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
No Birthday weekend
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No Birthday weekend
View Quote
Unfortunately its not very dark out. I didnt see the box on any setting. I will try again in a little while.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I went out again and no square on any setting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesting, what about the dark spots on the flood portion of the mid-range setting?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That sounds/looks more like the intensifier tube reacting and or autogating than a malfunction with your laser.
View Quote
@TNVC_Sam Thanks for the info. Would it be possible that I could replicate this with my Surefire X300V, or are the lights different? If so i will try it tonight when I get home from work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting, what about the dark spots on the flood portion of the mid-range setting?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those tombstone looking artifacts? I didn't see those but will check again as soon as it get dark.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll have to check mine, but I haven't seen anything like you are experiencing OP
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Those tombstone looking artifacts? I didn't see those but will check again as soon as it get dark.
View Quote
Nah, those are trashcans. If you look at the other pictures taken against the wall it looks like the flood portion (outside the main beam) has dried water spots or speckles, kinda hard to explain, maybe even like static from an old tv.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can try but the wavelength and pulse rate and beam are going to be vastly different, trying to compare a laser based illuminator to an LED is apples and oranges in this case. But give it a shot.
View Quote
Thanks, I’ll check tonight. The tubes are L3 WP inside RNVG’s, is what you’re saying something that is normal and I’ll prob have to live with?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top