Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2018 9:32:03 AM EDT
Does anyone know the wavelength of the MAWL laser diodes in the restricted and civilian versions? The only reference I can see is the new CLAD version with 1064nm laser pointer which appears to just be for use with thermal?

Just wondering if the MAWL C1+ is using something with a shorter wavelength like 850nm and giving up some of the inherant covert advantages of a laser of 905nm or longer wavelength to gain back some percieved brightness lost with Gen3 tubes due to the power restrictions or some similar compromises if that makes sense.

For me, it is more practical to aquire a MAWL C1 instead of a MAWL, since I dont need super long range illumination for an offhand LE carbine, but if the covert nature of the laser illuminator in the visible spectrum is comprimised, I would either go through the headache of getting my dept to purchase or just get an LED based solution.

Does anyone know?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
MAWL C1
Pasted from the TNVC site

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO, the MAWL is by far the best civilian laser on the market. I've used mine compared to a few full power lasers, and like TNVC pointed out above, it performed as well or better.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have got to stop clicking on MAWL threads...going to make me up my NV budget for later this year.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn I need a MAWL.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the MAWL C1+ specs. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. I know the MAWL C1+ has enough output/utility,  but my question is only about the ability to see the illuminator, without I2, in the visible/red spectrum.

Does anyone have the specs for the MAWL DA? Does the MAWL DA use 860nm laser diodes, like the MAWL C1+, or does it use 905+nm diodes? Does the 860nm laser of the MAWL C1 leak into the visible spectrum? Is there any difference in visible signature of the IR illuminator when comparing the MAWL C1+ and MAWL DA?

I was pondering how there could be so much utility in a civilian legal IR laser illuminator and it popped into my head you could use an 850-860nm laser instead of a 905-950nm laser and get the same amount of output with less mW output when using a Gen3 tube, but it might cause there to be more emissions in the visible spectrum. I have no idea if it is true, it was just something I thought. It seems like the C1+ does use 860nm diodes, which begs the follow on question of what diodes are used in the MAWL DA?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the signature less from the DA compared to the C1+ or is it the same?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone have the specs for the MAWL DA? Does the MAWL DA use 860nm laser diodes, like the MAWL C1+, or does it use 905+nm diodes? Does the 860nm laser of the MAWL C1 leak into the visible spectrum? Is there any difference in visible signature of the IR illuminator when comparing the MAWL C1+ and MAWL DA?

I was pondering how there could be so much utility in a civilian legal IR laser illuminator and it popped into my head you could use an 850-860nm laser instead of a 905-950nm laser and get the same amount of output with less mW output when using a Gen3 tube, but it might cause there to be more emissions in the visible spectrum. I have no idea if it is true, it was just something I thought. It seems like the C1+ does use 860nm diodes, which begs the follow on question of what diodes are used in the MAWL DA?
View Quote
The data plate on the side of my MAWL-C1+ says:

520nm-5mW (green pointer)-Class 3R
852nm-0.7mW (IR pointer)-Class 1
860nm-150mW (IR floods)-Class 3R

I don’t have photos of the -DA model, but I’m sure google could scrounge some up.

CORRECTION: the TNVC photos of the unit also show the -DA dataplate, which says:

520nm-25mW
852nm-150mW
Class 3B

I’d expect naked eye signature from target side to be on par with other IR beams, but I don’t volunteer to test that particular one for you right now...
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The full power atpial shows 820-850nm for both the pointer and illuminator, for comparison. It's not like those are in the 900+ nm range either.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top