Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2018 2:00:20 PM EDT
what is the story on these and are they a good investment for the future?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just about any milsurp if you can get it cheap is a good investment for the future...as they say, they ain't making them anymore, and imports have just about dried up...
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
They've gone up, they aren't near the deal they used to be.  Ammo is hard to find but not impossible.  DO NOT buy a 308 version.

Trigger pull is stiff.  Buttstock is too short for most Americans.  The gun works fine just a bit different.  No manual safety.  I sold my quite a while ago and don't really miss it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I like collecting WW2 rifles, so I'm probably not a good one to ask.  I went from wanting a rifle from every major combatant, to wanting a rifle from every combatant, to wanting a rifle from even the neutral countries.  Its still a work in progress.

Anyway, my answer to your question, is I believe they will continue to increase in price, but they are not as sought after as some other rifles, so I don't look for them to increase at the same rate.  At one time, they were pretty cheap.  Now, not so much.  If you're looking for an investment C&R from WW2, I'd recommend a Garand or a non RC Mauser.  They seem to appreciate the faster than the rest.  If you have a line on a nice MAS that's under $350, and you like it, then go for it.  You won't lose money.

They're fun to shoot.  Ammo is available.  I'm shooting mostly PPU, but also reloading.  I have some surplus socked away as well, but since its corrosive, I tend not to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The MAS Mle. 36 is my favorite bolt-action- accurate, fast action, simple, durable, and quick-to-acquire sights.

As mentioned above, these do not attract the same attention as more common rifles, so don't expect them to appreciate in value at the same rate. The prices are increasing steadily, though, so you won't be losing money.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all
I have two m39s
German k98
Two m48s
M24/47
So far looking to add an Enfield and a MAS
Then a k31 which I wish I would have gotten a while ago! Oh well
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
They came in four major variations, including a very unusual folding version called the CR39. Other than the standard rifle, the other two you'll occasional encounter are the LG48 and 36/51, both intended for use with rifle grenades.

Pre-WW2 manufacture and examples retaining the earlier, non parkerized finish are uncommon.

France used a modified version of the '36 action as the basis for a series of sniper rifles, which are still in service.

I like the rifle very much and the cartridge. There's not a fantastic range of ammunition, but the cartridge is excellent to load yourself since it uses .308" bullets and many popular rifle powders.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
They're fantastic rifles. One of the last bolt-action military rifles adopted, and the French did their homework with them. Everything you want, nothing you don't.

The bolt handle seems funky on first observation but you will find it super-quick once you get the hang of it. The dogleg and the rear locking lugs give it a very short throw.

Sights are not great for precision work but excel at snap shots.

Compact, light, and handles very well. Carries its bayonet (an unpleasant little cruciform spike number) along with it.

No manual safety - no military French bolt gun has one. Use your brain when operating.

They used to be dirt cheap. Not so much these days. Still, you should be able to find one for a reasonable price.

You will never find a CR39. And if you do, it's probably not legit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I would agree they are fantastic rifles, like all things surplus check to see what kind of shape it is in.

Also the sights are not "user adjustable"....another thing to make note of.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also the sights are not "user adjustable"....another thing to make note of.
View Quote
It can be done, but it's a nuisance - requires a new rear-sight with a correction (IE: POI 2" inches right, etc). Numrich used to have a large selection of them, also Liberty Tree Collectors. The sights were coded depending on what correction they provided - I think Numrich had a chart which explained it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You will never find a CR39. And if you do, it's probably not legit.
View Quote
FWIW, I got into collecting milsurps just before importation was allowed again back in the mid 80s.

I still remember the add in Shotgun News from Hansen Cartridge Company for CR39 rifles for sale.  I don't remember the price, but I think it was in the $230s then.

Another of the "wish I would have bought" items from back then.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FWIW, I got into collecting milsurps just before importation was allowed again back in the mid 80s.

I still remember the add in Shotgun News from Hansen Cartridge Company for CR39 rifles for sale.  I don't remember the price, but I think it was in the $230s then.

Another of the "wish I would have bought" items from back then.....
View Quote
Yep - those were fakes. They were made using furniture taken off of demilled CR39s and reworked normal MAS-36s. I see them from time to time; they lack the correct CR 39 marking on the receiver.

The only legit CR 39 I've ever seen was a rough VN bringback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top