Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2018 8:43:16 AM EDT
I'm looking to get both a Mac 11 and 10 refinished as well getting some the weld upgrades down,  Lage kit function checked, etc.  I had spoken with Sam at practical solutions about a year ago but it now looks like he's out of business?

Does anyone have suggestions a good shop for the above? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Practical Solutions is still in business, they are just having issues with their website.

use their facebook page to get in touch with them https://www.facebook.com/macmachineguns/
or
call (410) 404-0320

I am going to have them do a magwell stretch on my M11 (1984 date) once the form 4 comes back.

FWIW do you NEED the lower re-welded? I'm new to the MAC world, are weak welds a common issue?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FWIW do you NEED the lower re-welded? I'm new to the MAC world, are weak welds a common issue?
View Quote
Texas MACs are notorious for having original (spot) weld breakage.  I'm not aware of any other particular issues, but there may well be others.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Dunno anything about welding them.  I did get mine cerakoted to match my Lage upper.   All new Lage internals.

Functions great and looks great.   Function and form, solid win.

I knew I was going to replace the internals.   Once all the original internals were out, it’s trivial to get it cerakoted
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dunno anything about welding them.  I did get mine cerakoted to match my Lage upper.   All new Lage internals.

Functions great and looks great.   Function and form, solid win.

I knew I was going to replace the internals.   Once all the original internals were out, it’s trivial to get it cerakoted
View Quote
Which Cerakote shade of black?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I suppose I could understand getting an M11/M10 refinished if it was heavily worn...but "weld upgrades done" and "Lage kit function checked"?? There are no weld upgrades for an M11, and as far as I know only the Texas Macs had poorly done backplate welds. As for function checking a Lage upper
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I suppose I could understand getting an M11/M10 refinished if it was heavily worn...but "weld upgrades done" and "Lage kit function checked"?? There are no weld upgrades for an M11, and as far as I know only the Texas Macs had poorly done backplate welds. As for function checking a Lage upper
View Quote
I'm not sure why the emoji in your comment?  Perhaps you could illuminate as this is a tech forum?

I've a had a long conversation with Sam and he most certainly recommends sending the Lage uppers in with the gun so as to verify fit and function due to the wide variances in tolerances of the various Macs out there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Do your guns run?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do your guns run?
View Quote
With the Lage Max 31 the M10 runs like a raped ape though I am getting occasional doubles in semi.  I don't have a .45 upper for it right now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Sam fixed my M10 which was a frankengun.

Welded up the rear which was cracking.

Removed/replaced the trigger guard assembly which was the wrong width, so the frame was warped. He straightened the frame in the process.

Removed and replaced the mag well which was damaged from abuse.

Welded in reinforcements at the front pin holes, which were egged out, which he also fixed.

Patched a weird hole in the lower behind the trigger opening.

Fixed issues with the upper that came with it, which had plates welded at the front pin hole.

Replaced the bulged barrel of the upper.

Worked on the Lage upper I had which needed a new bolt from Richard.

He repaired the folding stock which collapsed randomly.

Refinished the whole gun.

Got both uppers to run perfectly.

Sam did a great job.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#11]
@faldoc

Thanks. What was his turn around time?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#12]
My M10/45 was a mess.  Sam had it fixed in about a week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@faldoc

Thanks. What was his turn around time?
View Quote
About 5 months.  Not bad considering the amount of welding and work needed to repair all the problems.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

With the Lage Max 31 the M10 runs like a raped ape though I am getting occasional doubles in semi.  I don't have a .45 upper for it right now.
View Quote
run hotter ammo, or clip a coil off the recoil spring.

its fine
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Strange double tap
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
run hotter ammo, or clip a coil off the recoil spring.

its fine
View Quote
Oh I'm not worried about it, rather just mentioning it and yes, I'm running subs in it so I figured it was the occasional short stroke.  I just bought a complete lower kit from FTF and will replace the cast sear with a CNC'd one as well as some other upgrades from Lage.

What it is the consensus on a Grease Gun mag weld to run GG mags when using a .45 upper? Or UZI mag conversion?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh I'm not worried about it, rather just mentioning it and yes, I'm running subs in it so I figured it was the occasional short stroke.  I just bought a complete lower kit from FTF and will replace the cast sear with a CNC'd one as well as some other upgrades from Lage.

What it is the consensus on a Grease Gun mag weld to run GG mags when using a .45 upper? Or UZI mag conversion?
View Quote
I am rustly, here. My 10/45 uses moded GG mags. But I bought the mag catch with a double lip to use un modded mags too.

My first MG was a 10/nine and had Sam do the Uzi conversion. And it is great, cheap heavy duty mags.
The Lage upper needs to be modded though
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am rustly, here. My 10/45 uses moded GG mags. But I bought the mag catch with a double lip to use un modded mags too.

My first MG was a 10/nine and had Sam do the Uzi conversion. And it is great, cheap heavy duty mags.
View Quote
There's a mag well weld on conversion that Sam does that allows the use of regular GG mags in a M-10.  I saw the mag catch that you're talking about but the side tabs on the GG mag seem to bottom out also. Does the mag catch fix that also? Is this it?

The uzi conversion would be for a M-11 that I also have.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's a mag well weld on conversion that Sam does that allows the use of regular GG mags in a M-10.  I saw the mag catch that you're talking about but the side tabs on the GG mag seem to bottom out also. Does the mag catch fix that also? Is this it?

I have never used one of use GG conversions, but if it uses unmoded GG. Just do that. You should not run across to maybe filed mags

The uzi conversion would be for a M-11 that I also have. Oh, I did not know he could do that, I thought only Sten mags conversion for the m11
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never used one of use GG conversions, but if it uses unmoded GG. Just do that. You should not run across to maybe filed mags

The uzi conversion would be for a M-11 that I also have. Oh, I did not know he could do that, I thought only Sten mags conversion for the m11
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
My mistake. The UZI conversion is for the M-10/9, not the M-11.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#21]
For those of you in the Tampa/ St Pete area I ended up staying local and driving to Lakeland, to Lewman Arms, and had the M-10 parked in Manganese. When I looked into the shipping costs to send it to PS it became prohibitive.

Almost a perfect match to the OEM upper and came out very nice with good attention to detail.   The owner, Jared, seems like a very nice guy and I must have stumbled in just as he getting ready to parkerize some other guns as turn around for mine was under 24 hrs.  He also installed the Lage safety and safety lever during reassembly. Night and day from the OEM. Instead of the mushy safety feel it's now "click, click". Very nice.  Lage has really breathed some life into these Macs.

I normally run a lage upper but ran a few mags through the Mac upper for a function check. Have to say that .45 ACP at 1100 rpm is a hoot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top