Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2020 11:59:39 PM EDT
Which would you get? I am thinking of the shorter barrel just for transportation purposes, so there is no need to break down the rifle each time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Doing it all over again, the CQ just for ease of transportation. I have a place I can shoot medium distance (800 yards) but I have other guns for that. For kicks and grins, you don't need that long barrel.

Without removing the collar and collapsing the barrel, it won't fit straight side to side in the back of my Grand Cherokee.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the CQ, and would highly recommend it. If you're questioning the size and ease of transport or general handling, just go with the 20" CQ. Accuracy will be equal or better than the 29", just less velocity and more drop at distance. Having handled both models, I'd find it difficult to justify the 29" unless I had a really good reason I needed the extra velocity for some reason.  Also, I personally find that extra bit of muzzle blast a benefit as it makes shooting it all that much more exhilarating!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Which would you get? I am thinking of the shorter barrel just for transportation purposes, so there is no need to break down the rifle each time.
View Quote

I'm a vote for the big boy.  I wanted only the 29" and would not even consider the 20 even at the best price.  The reason for me is simple.  The whole point of the 50BMG is power and range.  When you lop off 9" of barrel you lose a whopping 300 FPS!  When you are talking about 650 plus grain projectiles, 300 FPS is enormous.  When you drop the barrel to 20" you lose only a couple pounds at best so you go from maybe a 38lb rifle to a 36lb rifle, which makes little difference in my opinion.  Nine inches shorter is nice but not enough to give up more than 10 percent of the power the rifle.

My last bit of advice is to think this one over carefully.  I think you will be happy either way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the old Batten Machine 33" barrels. I don't have any problems transporting it in the Pelican case.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I always thought the 29" was the no-brainer, but I have zero experience with either. The M82A1 is a dream rifle for me but I haven't put my research in. Maybe owning a pickup truck would tilt the scales towards the 29"?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven’t shot my CQ yet but went that way for size reasons. Only thing I’m worried about is the extra noise. The ballistics of the shorty are more than adequate for anything I can imagine ever doing with it.

Quoted:
View Quote

CQ still breaks down to go in it’s case. I’ll probably look for a longer case that will fit it assembled.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't mind the longer barrel. Just that the thought of breaking it down, reassembling it at the range then breaking it down again after would mean that likely it may be too troublesome to bring out and will get left in storage. The CQ on the other hand, can be stored in a 50" case in its assembled form.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't mind the longer barrel. Just that the thought of breaking it down, reassembling it at the range then breaking it down again after would mean that likely it may be too troublesome to bring out and will get left in storage. The CQ on the other hand, can be stored in a 50" case in its assembled form.
View Quote

It takes less than a minute
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone knows where to get one for a reasonable price? Prices seem to be going up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
You just have to keep an eye out. I got mine during Black Friday and they only had one at that price. Figure out what you think a good deal is and be ready to jump.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven’t shot my CQ yet but went that way for size reasons. Only thing I’m worried about is the extra noise. The ballistics of the shorty are more than adequate for anything I can imagine ever doing with it.

CQ still breaks down to go in it’s case. I’ll probably look for a longer case that will fit it assembled.
View Quote

Are cans on a 50 a worthwhile investment?  I've heard mixed things about them because it negates the brake.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are cans on a 50 a worthwhile investment?  I've heard mixed things about them because it negates the brake.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couldn't tell you as I have never come across one in person. On a semi like the Barrett it's probably fine but on a bolt action I imagine you want a heavy host. That's why I haven't bought one as $3k is a lot money to gamble with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fun of the 82A1 is the blast.  Just shot mine for the first time today and it was amazing.   Such little recoil for such a large cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The fun of the 82A1 is the blast.  Just shot mine for the first time today and it was amazing.   Such little recoil for such a large cartridge.
View Quote

The blast gets old especially if you are a bystander.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The blast gets old especially if you are a bystander.
View Quote
Not if the bystander has been pelting you with brass doing mag dumps right next to you. Its great to get them to stop pelting you. I dunno why people just seem to move over to a shooting lane a bit aways from you after firing one.

Well back to the original question. I like the 29". I have thought of finding a case large enough to transport it assembled. Other option is getting a case long enough to put the assembled upper in and then just have to mount the upper to the lower.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I just experienced a M107a1 with a suppressor and it's totally worth it. It's amazing how much the sound is reduced.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm a vote for the big boy.  I wanted only the 29" and would not even consider the 20 even at the best price.  The reason for me is simple.  The whole point of the 50BMG is power and range.  When you lop off 9" of barrel you lose a whopping 300 FPS!  When you are talking about 650 plus grain projectiles, 300 FPS is enormous.  When you drop the barrel to 20" you lose only a couple pounds at best so you go from maybe a 38lb rifle to a 36lb rifle, which makes little difference in my opinion.  Nine inches shorter is nice but not enough to give up more than 10 percent of the power the rifle.

My last bit of advice is to think this one over carefully.  I think you will be happy either way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m convinced. I prefer the big boy. Any preference on color?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:39:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just experienced a M107a1 with a suppressor and it's totally worth it. It's amazing how much the sound is reduced.
View Quote

Yep, totally worth it.  No concussion too
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm convinced. I prefer the big boy. Any preference on color?
View Quote
Mine is Desert Coyote.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. When I bought my M82A1, I had the shop I bought it from show me how to take it down and put it together. They weren't well versed on it either and there was a bit of fumbling around. I was thinking "Holy crap. What a pain in the ass."

After I got it home and did it myself a couple of times, that changed to "Yeah, this is easy."

I dont regret getting the 29" barrel at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This. When I bought my M82A1, I had the shop I bought it from show me how to take it down and put it together. They weren't well versed on it either and there was a bit of fumbling around. I was thinking "Holy crap. What a pain in the ass."

After I got it home and did it myself a couple of times, that changed to "Yeah, this is easy."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong I would much rather store it assembled I just never saw it as so much of an impediment that I wouldn't bring it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#24]
First off, buy a bigger truck.  My 29" fits with room to spare across the back seat of my full size Dodge RAM.

Second, the purpose of the Barrett M82 is as an anti-material asset which is why it was introduced with the 29" barrel.  Velocity equals energy delivered at the "other" end which equals penetration.  An important point when deployed in it's intended role.  

And speaking of intended role, how much "CQB" work is done with a .50 BMG anyway?

I understand your dilemma but if I had bought the 20" CQB I would feel like I was somehow getting shortchanged with every shot.

YMMV
TheMULE

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
First off, buy a bigger truck.  My 29" fits with room to spare across the back seat of my full size Dodge RAM.

Second, the purpose of the Barrett M82 is as an anti-material asset which is why it was introduced with the 29" barrel.  Velocity equals energy delivered at the "other" end which equals penetration.  An important point when deployed in it's intended role.  

And speaking of intended role, how much "CQB" work is done with a .50 BMG anyway?

I understand your dilemma but if I had bought the 20" CQB I would feel like I was somehow getting shortchanged with every shot.

YMMV
TheMULE

View Quote

CQ is just the name it wasn't meant for actual CQB but you know that. It was designed for closer engagements out of a helicopter. What percentage of people with anti material rifles use them for anti material work? My guess would be less than half of 1%. These guns are used for recreation the vast majority of the time and the short barrel doesn't seem to suffer there.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#26]
For me, the biggest, baddest Barret is what I want.  It's more of a novelty that I get more fun out of letting others shoot it.  The smile on their face after the first shot is worth it!

And since it's the baddest gun at the range every time, I want the full size.  Pulling that trigger and clearing out your sinuses is freaking great!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
... And since it's the baddest gun at the range every time, I want the full size...
View Quote

-----------------------------------------------------

Yeah, nothing worse than having someone come up to you while you are shooting your CQB and say " Nice gun, have you ever shot one of the big ones?"    LOL
The MULE
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Deleted
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#29]
CQ definitely has a lot more concussion/blowback to shooter/those right next to them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CQ definitely has a lot more concussion/blowback to shooter/those right next to them.
View Quote

I consider that part of the fun!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohh it's fun alright, ideally if you don't like the guy shooting next to you ;)
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have the CQ, and would highly recommend it. If you're questioning the size and ease of transport or general handling, just go with the 20" CQ. Accuracy will be equal or better than the 29", just less velocity and more drop at distance. Having handled both models, I'd find it difficult to justify the 29" unless I had a really good reason I needed the extra velocity for some reason.  Also, I personally find that extra bit of muzzle blast a benefit as it makes shooting it all that much more exhilarating!
View Quote

I'd like to amend my recommendation here for anyone who may be pondering the 20 vs 29 decision.  

I find the 20" to be a ton of fun, and if you're young and strong and want to mess around with it on a sling with a red dot doing drills, it's probably the most fun and greatest workout I've had shooting, period.  The concussion is exhilarating, and for me personally, doesn't get old.  It almost fills a void for me left since I sold my turbo'd gsxr1000.  It's convenient to transport, fits easily in a soft case, and I only disassemble it to clean it.

I recently added the 29" to the stable, and I'm very happy I did.  It has a presence to it that, for me, the 20" lacks. This is obviously a personal, subjective sentiment, but it's worth noting. The extra velocity, and thus energy, is definitely significant enough to make it better at what it's intended role is, anti-material use. If you're not planning to be "silly" with your 50 by attempting run and gun workouts with it, this is the version I'd recommend. The concussion is notably reduced, and that's a positive for most people.  It'll stay supersonic and be more accurate at greater distances due to this extra velocity.

If I were forced to pick one, I don't know I could. I enjoy messing around with the 20" on a sling far too much to make the decision I think I should, but for most people the 29" is likely the most logical choice.

Velocity chart. 29" seems to be a very good choice.

This was my first time shooting my M82A1CQ. I've got the mag change down since then At 6' I'm not quite tall enough to do stuff like this with the 29" without having to be very aware of the muzzles proximity to the ground, especially when changing positions from standing, kneeling, and prone.
First shots with Barrett M82A1CQ
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#33]
That is all definitely correct for you :) I'm a wuss, can't shoulder it for sure. Your drill looks like fun.

My only caveat to all of that was "it blows shit all over the shooter and people on the line next to you" in the CQ and the concussion jacks with spotters and those on the line next to you.

It's definitely fun though for sure to shoot.

I have the BFG50a with the 26". It still knocks shit everywhere, but not as bad as my buddy's CQ.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I like my shorty, especially with 5lbs of qdl suppressor hanging off the front.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like my shorty, especially with 5lbs of qdl suppressor hanging off the front.
View Quote

I wish you could suppress the 82’s
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wish you could suppress the 82’s
View Quote

Same here. It's really the only difference between the two that I feel really sets it apart
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I thought you could suppress the 82 if you took some parts off of it? That way it wouldn't destroy itself from the added recoil of the suppressor.

@50cal
View Quote

Removing the accelerator and accelerator rod from the carrier helps a lot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

YMMV
TheMULE

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/130328/20200502_155535-1679439.jpg

View Quote

What scope is that?  It looks like some sort of acog maybe?  Do you like it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What scope is that?  It looks like some sort of acog maybe?  Do you like it?
View Quote

Looks like the 6 power acog. Never played with one on a gun but they're huge and heavy. Something like a Barret or a Machine Gun make the most sense.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/JpCVxGj.jpg
I'd like to amend my recommendation here for anyone who may be pondering the 20 vs 29 decision.  

I find the 20" to be a ton of fun, and if you're young and strong and want to mess around with it on a sling with a red dot doing drills, it's probably the most fun and greatest workout I've had shooting, period.  The concussion is exhilarating, and for me personally, doesn't get old.  It almost fills a void for me left since I sold my turbo'd gsxr1000.  It's convenient to transport, fits easily in a soft case, and I only disassemble it to clean it.

I recently added the 29" to the stable, and I'm very happy I did.  It has a presence to it that, for me, the 20" lacks. This is obviously a personal, subjective sentiment, but it's worth noting. The extra velocity, and thus energy, is definitely significant enough to make it better at what it's intended role is, anti-material use. If you're not planning to be "silly" with your 50 by attempting run and gun workouts with it, this is the version I'd recommend. The concussion is notably reduced, and that's a positive for most people.  It'll stay supersonic and be more accurate at greater distances due to this extra velocity.

If I were forced to pick one, I don't know I could. I enjoy messing around with the 20" on a sling far too much to make the decision I think I should, but for most people the 29" is likely the most logical choice.

https://i.imgur.com/jizouzR.jpg

This was my first time shooting my M82A1CQ. I've got the mag change down since then At 6' I'm not quite tall enough to do stuff like this with the 29" without having to be very aware of the muzzles proximity to the ground, especially when changing positions from standing, kneeling, and prone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHzn-n2J08
View Quote
You're really making me want a Barret.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry and you're welcome
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/JpCVxGj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jizouzR.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHzn-n2J08

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I need to buy my wife a truck
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Make sure the truck has a bed mount for your M82!

If not, tell her to pass or to buy the kit to DIY.
View Quote

Aand you can get a soft mount for the 82
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#47]
What do you want to do with it?  The CQ is cool because it has a CL barrel. Toss an EoTech on it and you’re good to go for some close range fun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#48]
All barrels are chrome lined now from barrett.
I believe the change took place in the last year or so.

So the “full chrome lined” appeal of the CQ isnt isolated to the shorty. The 29” OG now has the entire barrel chrome lined.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top