Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2020 5:31:53 PM EDT
I think I need a bolt action 22LR, preferably threaded, and the Ruger American Rimfire (RAR) would seem a good, cheap option. I know the M77/22LR is out of production, but is there any reason to think the M77/22 would be a better small game/target rifle? I'm not overly impressed with the cheap poly stock of the RAR but I guess a replacement stock is an option. The target model is nice but I want open sights. I want a Ruger for the interchangeable mags with my 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a M77/22WMR - it is a beautiful little rifle. LIPSEY’S MODEL: RUK77/22RSI don't know if they still have them
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy the RAR.  Then buy a stock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked at the CZ bolt actions? Either the 452, 455 or the latest 457's? Priced slightly higher then the RAR's but quality above anything that Ruger makes. The only advantage either Ruger has over the CZ is the magazines.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
May be old school and not a threaded barrel. A Marlin model 25 can be made into a slick bolt action rifle with minimal money spent. Meaning that a wood dowel and sandpaper to open up the stock to free float the barrel, some oil and scotchbright to slick up the bolt, and a little honing and spring change to slick up the trigger.

For scope use the receiver is grooved for claw mount scope rings. Weaver makes a low profile see-thru set for standard centerfire scopes, so the open sights are still usable, and high enough so that the front ramp sight is still clear of the scope view.

The rifles were mostly with hardwood stocks, with some upgraded to walnut. The model was produced from 1982 until around 2003, then changed to a model 925 with different magazine design.

The model 25 has a slightly curved 7 shot magazine, with the spring loaded mag release as part of the magazine. Just hold magazine front to back between thumb and finger and squeeze. The mags are plentiful on eBay new for $15.

The rifles on Gunbroker price around $150. I have one with a 3x9 scope I shoot at 100 yds. From a sandbag rest I get quarter size groups with Federal 550 bulk hollow point ammo. On a sunny day I can usually pick up the glint of the bullet at about mid range and watch it to the target.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm mainly looking for a lightweight, suppressible 22lr for small game hunting. I have a couple 10/22s and Marlin 39a plus a couple pistols and a single six. What I don't have is a bolt 22, which would be the most quiet when suppressed.

Didn't know about the Marlin. Could be a good option, but I don't see any with a threaded barrel. I know that can be done after, but I think some barrels are too thin at the end to do this well.

I have a CZ 457 (I think) in 17HMR. I had thought about getting a 22lr barrel but again I don't see threaded ones. It also kind of annoys me that the little 5 rnd mag sticks out the bottom.

In all honesty, it's mag compatibility that is the primary reason for going with a Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you looked at the CZ bolt actions? Either the 452, 455 or the latest 457's? Priced slightly higher then the RAR's but quality above anything that Ruger makes. The only advantage either Ruger has over the CZ is the magazines.
View Quote
Yep I have the .22mag and one in .17 Mach2 nice little guns they have the mag advantage but the CZ 457 that's the way to go...imo2
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a CZ 457 (I think) in 17HMR. I had thought about getting a 22lr barrel but again I don't see threaded ones. It also kind of annoys me that the little 5 rnd mag sticks out the bottom.

In all honesty, it's mag compatibility that is the primary reason for going with a Ruger.
View Quote
They have both models that come with treaded barrels and replacement threaded barrels for sale (or you can buy a standard barrel and have it cut and threaded). I admit the magazines leave something to be desired. I'll also admit, I've toyed with getting a RAR for the magazines but when I compare the 2 side by side, I just couldn't do it. The RAR's look and feel like a cheap toys compared to the CZ's
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Just measured barrel diameter on a Marlin 25. Diameter at 1/8” back from muzzle is 0.628” . Barrel length to receiver ring is 23”, and diameter at 12” from muzzle is 0.744”. Taper is even on barrel, but can’t get barrel diameter at receiver ring without removing scope. I am not familiar with suppressors so do not know if this is within standard dimensions for such modification.

Years ago had a chance at a Marlin 39A that had been threaded. The thread protector was of outside standard barrel diameter, and the original front ramp sight was  integral to the removable muzzle protector.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They have both models that come with treaded barrels and replacement threaded barrels for sale (or you can buy a standard barrel and have it cut and threaded). I admit the magazines leave something to be desired. I'll also admit, I've toyed with getting a RAR for the magazines but when I compare the 2 side by side, I just couldn't do it. The RAR's look and feel like a cheap toys compared to the CZ's
View Quote
I checked. My CZ is the 455 training rifle that I actually bought for my daughter. I can find threaded varmint barrels but so far not one for the training rifle.

Do you think the difference between the CZ and RAR is mostly the stock or everything - barrel, action, trigger? Can't say the 455 is amazing or anything, but the stock is nicer than my wood 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve had a Ruger 77/22 (.22 Mag) and have a RAR and 2 CZ 452s. While the 77/22 is a stronger rifle it doesn’t seem to translate  into any practical benefit over the RAR in my view. The CZs are very nice and I like them a bit better than the RAR, but when factoring price and mag compatibility I think the RAR is the best value overall for general use.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I checked. My CZ is the 455 training rifle that I actually bought for my daughter. I can find threaded varmint barrels but so far not one for the training rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

CZ makes threaded barrels in the Varmint and American profiles. I'm pretty sure the American barrel will fit your current stock without mods but you will loose the iron sights and will have to get a scope for it. CZ makes 3 different models of the 457 with iron sights (The Jaguar, the Premium and the Scout) but I do not see those barrels available separately yet? if irons are a must, you can either wait for those to become available (455 and 457 barrels are interchangeable) or just buy one of those 457 models.

Quoted:
Do you think the difference between the CZ and RAR is mostly the stock or everything - barrel, action, trigger? Can't say the 455 is amazing or anything, but the stock is nicer than my wood 10/22.
I think the CZ is better in every category (stock, receiver, barrel, etc.) Triggers are iffy (meaning luck of the draw) but even a bad CZ trigger can be tuned pretty easy. Accuracy is another thing that can vary meaning there are some RAR that can shoot and some CZ's that are duds but from what I've seen, your odds of getting a "shooter" are much better with the CZ. Another advantage to the CZ is the ability to easily replace the barrel. No idea why Ruger didn't do the same with the RAR?

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the RAR is a good value and love the BX mags so I don't think its a bad choice. Had Ruger designed it with a replaceable barrels like the CZ or 10/22, I think it would have been a bigger hit. Either way, I just think the CZ's in general are a couple steps ahead of the RAR in the quality dept.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Have a quality smith thread your 39A....I have on good authority they are fantastically fun suppressed rifles....
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have a quality smith thread your 39A....I have on good authority they are fantastically fun suppressed rifles....
View Quote
I don't think want to mess with it. It's not exactly in collector condition but it's been in the family since like 1950 something. My dad did drill/tap for a scope that he hated and took off so like I said not a pristine rifle, but still like to keep it original as possible.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:01:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the RAR is a good value and love the BX mags so I don't think its a bad choice. Had Ruger designed it with a replaceable barrels like the CZ or 10/22, I think it would have been a bigger hit. Either way, I just think the CZ's in general are a couple steps ahead of the RAR in the quality dept.
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'd agree based on what I know right now, but also not overly excited by any of the current CZ models. Barrels are too long (subs might go super) or not threaded or no open sights or 1/2 x 20 threads and still not thrilled about their mags. Still, maybe I'll find one that speaks to me. Or maybe I should check out the Tikka.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I have very few complaints about my RAR.

Short, light, accurate, decent trigger, threaded, takes 10/22 mags, mags sit flush,  cheap!  I paid like 250ish.

My complaints.  Not alot of options for peep sights. I prefer peeps over optics.
The mag release is a bit too long. I lost 3 or 4 mags in the woods.  Shaved it down and now its good.

Kills squirrels like a mofo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a RAR. It was fine for what it was, a cheap 22 for plinking and maybe a little hunting. the stock though was cheasy and flimsy, the pressed in barrel was disappointing, especially when the RPR is swappable. trigger was meh, I sold it shortly after getting it.

I have a 77/22 canoe paddle. The fit and finish of it is, imo, much above that of the RAR.  The bolt; smoother, the stock; much nicer and the trigger is very nice as well. Realistically, we're comparing a $350 RAR to a $850 77/22 (at least up here in Canada)

Additionally, the first gen of 77/22 have a 10/22 style v-block for attaching new barrels. The downside of the 77 is you're stuck with ruger bases and rings. Some like them, personally, I'd much prefer a rail.

For the money for a RAR, I'd personally get a savage fv-sr 16" with the traditional style and play with that, as they have a ton more aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had a RAR. It was fine for what it was, a cheap 22 for plinking and maybe a little hunting. the stock though was cheasy and flimsy, the pressed in barrel was disappointing, especially when the RPR is swappable. trigger was meh, I sold it shortly after getting it.

I have a 77/22 canoe paddle. The fit and finish of it is, imo, much above that of the RAR.  The bolt; smoother, the stock; much nicer and the trigger is very nice as well. Realistically, we're comparing a $350 RAR to a $850 77/22 (at least up here in Canada)

Additionally, the first gen of 77/22 have a 10/22 style v-block for attaching new barrels. The downside of the 77 is you're stuck with ruger bases and rings. Some like them, personally, I'd much prefer a rail.

For the money for a RAR, I'd personally get a savage fv-sr 16" with the traditional style and play with that, as they have a ton more aftermarket support.
View Quote
I had a Savage FV-SR and it was a noticeable step down in fit and finish from my RAR. They shot about the same but everything else was better on the Ruger (magazine, finish, stock, etc).
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, what did you buy?

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a CZ 452 Varmint with a Timney trigger. I like it a lot.

I also was lucky to obtain a 77-22 blued walnut Ruger, virtually unfired, in the last year, a grail rifle for me.  

It will shoot your lights out.  

You can easily find a picatinny adapter for the ruger, if that is your jam, and you can use any rings you want.  Mine shoots tighter than a gnats ass with Ruger rings and Burris glass.  

I hope I got that right.  Bourbon trying to kill my Covid right naw.

eta:  My CZ is threaded.  I would not fuck with my 77-22.  Other than a VQ $25 sear, that is.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Played with a new CZ, the "fancy" one, at the gunshop a month ago or so.

Ruger beat the brakes off it for fit/finish.

Sorry, not paying the like $800 or whatever they wanted for a rifle with a painted stock, rough machining, etc.

Trigger wasn't even that great.

Maybe it's more accurate, but I'll take my RAR at about $450 (for their "fancy"/sporter model, the 8329 iirc).

They also had a centerfire, I think in 7mm, doesn't really matter. Anyway, it was also lackluster.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Does the RAR have a better trigger than a 10/22? Even with a VQ trigger, the 10/22's trigger is meh.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Volquartzen Summit

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#23]
400$ difference. I can look the other way on alot of differences.  

But. I really like my RAR.  Nice trigger, factory threaded, accurate.  I miss the boat paddle stocks thou
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The downside of the 77 is you're stuck with ruger bases and rings. Some like them, personally, I'd much prefer a rail.
View Quote

I got the Weig-A-Tinny rail myself, but am actually using Ruger rings so haven't mounted it...

https://www.jackweigand.com/7722s.html
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a Ruger American Target in 22WMR and a Ruger Precision Rimfire in 22LR. Both rifles shoot lights out and sound fantastic with my AAC Element 2.

The bolts on both rifles were less than “buttery” and the bolt knob on the Ruger American Target was too small for my liking, despite being larger than the standard RAR models.

I spent some time with the RPR and smoothed out the bolt throw myself. I’ve not done a single other thing to that rifle and that’s not like me.

Because I didn’t like the bolt knob on the RAT, I sent the bolt off to The Polished Knob. He put on a much nicer bolt knob and did an amazing fluting job on the bolt.

One thing to note about the RPR is that it did not like to feed BX15 and BX25 magazines very well at first. I don’t know what changed but I haven’t had any issues with it after about 5 range trips.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a 77/22 with a trigger and a shilen barrel. It is extremely accurate.  I never shoot it, like haven’t even taken it out of the safe in 10 years.

I do have a RAR in .22 mag that I keep in my truck for squirrels, coons, porcupines, and coyotes. It is accurate and I don’t mind leaving it behind the seat. It also has a threaded barrel and with my axiom is pretty quiet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top