Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2018 11:20:51 PM EDT
Anybody have both in hand or experience with both that can compare them? Really concerned with IR performance, not white light. How do the beams compare? Range? Red glow?

I’ve currently got a solarforce IR led in an old 6p body as a weapon mounted illuminator. The 600v keeps tempting me because of its dual output but the TNVC torch is another option in the running.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two 600v’s with the more updated heads (lumen output). There is a slight red hue when the IR is on. Pigs do not spook. Both white and IR lights throw and spill nicely.  I don’t own a MAWL but like the V’s

Also, they are extremely durable. I can get out to 200y for illumination, maybe more.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow. Didn’t figure a range of 200 yds. That’s pretty awesome. Assuming that’s in pretty dark conditions. Maybe I’ll take a harder look at the 600 for weapon mount and keep the solarforce for a helmet mounted medium range/supplemental light.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The Solarforce IR drop-in is very bright and a bit floody. I believe it's only good to maybe 50yards or so. The visible red light signature is also much brighter than the Surefire.

I much prefer the Surefire 600V or 300V which have a much better and useful IR beam. But for $20, the Solarforce will certainly light things up (IR) .
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea that’s been my experience with the solarforce, as well. Good for $20 but not exceptional by any means. It’s good to hear feedback confirming the SF lights blow the cheap stuff away. I’m sure the solarforce will still have a place in my kit but primary weapon light/illuminator needs to be better. I just wish the SF stuff wasn’t so dang expensive. Oh well, first world problems!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#5]
In my experience, 200 yards with the newest m600v is pretty unrealistic. It may put a little illumination on objects that far out, but it's not useful in terms of enhancing contrast and helping you ID smaller objects, even viewed under filmless white phosphor.

Max range where I find the m600v useful is 75-100 yards. It also has a lot of spill, since the TIR lens is really designed for white light. With that said, it's certainly better than an atpial-c or dbal-a3 illuminator.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, 200 yards is very optimistic. Maybe if you are lighting up something with excellent contrast to it's background. But for really looking into totally dark corners, under thick brush, under a car etc, 75 yards is more reasonable for 600V.

And lets not forget the Surefire's ability to go white light, which can be very useful. I bet that is where most of the extra cost goes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, 200 yards is very optimistic. Maybe if you are lighting up something with excellent contrast to it's background. But for really looking into totally dark corners, under thick brush, under a car etc, 75 yards is more reasonable for 600V.

And lets not forget the Surefire's ability to go white light, which can be very useful. I bet that is where most of the extra cost goes.
View Quote
It's funny you mention the cost since the dealer prices for an m600u head and m600v head are the same. Also makes you wonder why the m600v complete light costs so much more than an m600u when sold in the same mount/switch configuration.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you both using the updated head?  200 may be unreasonable for spotting a cottontail but not hogs
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you both using the updated head?  200 may be unreasonable for spotting a cottontail but not hogs
View Quote
Yes, I have the latest head, because it's the km2-c, which differs from the km2-b in how you switch from white to IR. Instead of pulling forward and turning, the new C head lets you just twist it, and a detent holds it at white-off-IR. The C has the same output as the B.

In general I don't even bother with a vampire light on my night setups any more because I use a dbal-d2 or mawl, which are far superior to an m600v, and I don't have to fiddle with the light head to switch to white light.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 300v and the solarforce with the second battery attachment looks like a red lensed flashlight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top