Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2018 9:15:03 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me more about these?

A belt fed under 10K has really got my ears perked up.

Link to Machine gun Central ad

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Seems to be listed correctly. link
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#1]
From what little I just have read is that the German made 08/15 are generally the cheapest. But they can not be head spaced by the user. I have also read to convert this into a caliber that you would want to shoot 7.62X54R you would have to find a russian 1910 kit and convert the German 08/15. By having the conversion done you would then be able to use PKM links, headspace your own barrel and fire 7.62x54R. I have no idea how much a 1910 kit runs and who can do the work, and how much they will charge.

If the above is wrong please correct me.

I am more of a turn key type guy. Im not sure I would want to drop 10K and then spend another 1-5k??? just to get it operational. If I already owned one then yeah I would spend the cash on a conversion.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Obsolete weapons platform, with no appreciable support or spare parts, somewhat hand fitted in construction.  If you are a machinist and like to tinker, this weapon is for you.  If you are a weekend shooter, perhaps not so much.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I researched them a bit when I saw this video years ago (that distant clack clack clack sound it makes at 2:35 is what I always imagined a first world war battlefield sounded like) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XTPWnV2rw

From what I gathered it's mainly parts availability and ammo that keeps their prices low. If you can fabricate your own parts or have a line on spares, as well as have the capability to reload a lot of 8mm Mauser then it's a great deal. Still have to lug it to the range, plus not many clubs allow beltfed fullauto, but I bet the experience of bringing to life a first world war relic is incredible.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I researched them a bit when I saw this video years ago (that distant clack clack clack sound it makes at 2:35 is what I always imagined a first world war battlefield sounded like) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XTPWnV2rw

From what I gathered it's mainly parts availability and ammo that keeps their prices low. If you can fabricate your own parts or have a line on spares, as well as have the capability to reload a lot of 8mm Mauser then it's a great deal. Still have to lug it to the range, plus not many clubs allow beltfed fullauto, but I bet the experience of bringing to life a first world war relic is incredible.
View Quote
I am mainly shooting at my house and family farm so GTG on that front. I am not a metal worker tho so this is probably not the belt fed MG for me.

For some reason the idea of having a super heavy cumbersome belt fed MG really appeals to me. lol
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For some reason the idea of having a super heavy cumbersome belt fed MG really appeals to me. lol
View Quote
gets old really quick
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

gets old really quick
View Quote
Do you have one? If so how do you like it? Would you buy it over again?
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
A 1919a4 is what you seek. Or perhaps a 1917 if you are more into ww1 stuff. Either way, it will require selling off some regular guns or saving up a bit more.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is a Vickers on subguns that you should buy.  Parts are plentiful and affordable, its a dead nuts reliable gun, and most importantly unlike the 08/15 in 8mm, .303 British is available, cheap and non corrosive.

You dont want an 08/15.
View Quote
10-4 thanks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want a light weight belt fed on a budget get a RLL and a fightlite MCR, prob can put a setup together for around $20-22k depending on the deal you find, parts, optics, etc... also will need to have the bolt machines to fit SP1 tolerance.

Another option would be a M1919, they are a classic looking beltfed that can be had for under $20k
water cooled guns are just a hassle to lug around, i bet most owners don't get them out more than once a year if that. I would love to own a M2 50 cal, they really aren't that expensive I've seen them sell for sub $35k, but I would have to buy a pickup truck just to haul the thing to the range and would have to bring a crew to help me set it up.

IMO if I had $10k burning a hole in my pocket I would buy a subgun,it will be cheaper to shoot, get used way more often and probably go up in value faster. Also won't take up as much room in your safe.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Maxim/Vickers owner here, but I neither own an MG08 nor an MG08/15.

Maxims are generally durable guns, but the main spares you will want are firing pins and lock springs.  Both should be adaptable from Russian 1910 parts that are more commonly available, but drying up as we speak.

The original German locks do not allow headspace adjustments as noted.  The 54R conversion replaces the internals with Russian parts and gets you a lock that can be headspaced.  The conversion does not require a complete Russian kit, but the parts are notoriously difficult to locate separately.  Kits will run from $2,000 to $2,500 right now.  Black River Militaria can do the conversion mods, but I can't remember what Bob charges.  You'd easily spend another $3,000+ to get the conversion going, which would buy a ton of 8mm reloading components.

There are techniques to keep the gun running when the headspace starts to run long, but we can save that for later.

I'd love to have an MG08, but many are in rough shape or missing parts.  The conversion aspect keeps me away as well
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Buying and owning a Maxim, either a Russian 1910 or German MG08 / MG08/15.

Pro's

1.) Very fun to shoot and always brings a crowd
2.) Piece of history
3.) Reliable
4.) Readily available ammo
5.) Simple and easy to maintain
Con's

1.) Needs to be filled with water and fully dried afterwards
2.) Heavy and a pain to move
3.) Parts are pricey and drying up
4.) Cloth belts can cost $80-$130
5.) Very few people can work on it for you if something major breaks
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#15]
You should go for it if you like heavy water cools as it's the cheapest one right now.  Don't let the parts scare you as there are repro bipods, boosters, caps and feedblock arms.  The barrel is the same as the MG08 except the add on bushing.  The only real expensive part for this MG is a complete/intact feedblock.  The U.S. got a lot of the 08/15s after the Great One and most were demilled by breaking the FB arms or cutting/torching the FB thru the middle and then given to various veteran associations.  But with CNC hours getting cheaper, it'll be a matter of time when aftermarket FBs/housings come out.

Browning 1919 belts will work but the current Soviet MG steels belts are much better and can be easily modified to run 8mm in the 08/15 by opening up the loop (and you don't need a belt loader).  There are also Turkish aluminum belts but they are a pain as you need to pull to keep rigid.  But unless you have lots of cheap 8mm already, it's simpler to convert the gun to run 7.62x54R or 308.  The FB needs grooving for the 54 rim and a spacer added to the front; neither of which affects using 8mm.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Maxims are fantastic guns.  I'll just leave it at that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:21:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I truly love maxims, and always buy whatever parts I come across.

There is nothing like them, I’ve owned dozens over the years and there is always 2-3 in my office at any given day.

The 54r kit is a game changer, cheap belts and all of the other benifits mentioned above. It’ll run like a current mg.

However 8mm  works just fine, especially if you have a plate loader and Vickers brass tab belts.

If it doesn’t have a belt it doesn’t interest me, add water and you have my attention.

If water cooled belt feds interest you, the 08/15 is a true bargain and every collection needs at least one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#18]
swampfoxoutdoors, I see you are in GA.  If you are ever anywhere near SW Louisiana, shoot me a PM. I have one (and another in jail) that you could come try out. That will give you a better idea if you want one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
swampfoxoutdoors, I see you are in GA.  If you are ever anywhere near SW Louisiana, shoot me a PM. I have one (and another in jail) that you could come try out. That will give you a better idea if you want one.
View Quote
Thanks for the offer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top