Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2021 10:15:45 PM EDT
For those of you that have actually used the M2HB in action...what is the real world accuracy and range? The General Dynamics information says "highly accurate" and an effective range of 1830 meters but, I'm interested in the thoughts of those that have used it in combat.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
My Father was in a Sherman in WWII, he said he could shoot out a street light at one half mile on the third shot.  I never fired one when I was in, but I did fire a 20mm Towed Vulcan cannon. Street light? what light pole :-)
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Father was in a Sherman in WWII, he said he could shoot out a street light at one half mile on the third shot.  I never fired one when I was in, but I did fire a 20mm Towed Vulcan cannon. Street light? what light pole :-)
View Quote

Pretty impressive. I've always thought of them as "suppressing fire" type of weapon and not really made for accuracy but that was just my ignorance.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Good enough and far enough.

There are a few ways to employ an M2HB. "Accuracy" will be dependent on that. Range is as published.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are a few ways to employ an M2HB. "Accuracy" will be dependent on that. Range is as published.
View Quote

I was mostly thinking from a tripod or the Abrams.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was mostly thinking from a tripod or the Abrams.
View Quote

Two completely different employments.

I'm sure there are FMs online that specifically answer your questions. They express both area and point accuracy & max effective range for tripod (with T&E) as well as vehicle mounted.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The gun itself is pretty accurate; the method of firing will dictate the practical accuracy.

Typically what I've seen is a 4/1 ball and tracer mix is used to walk rounds on a target, rather than using the sights. But I come from employing it on vehicles. Others might chime in on using a tripod and T&E.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got to shoot a semi auto one.  Un trained in its use, from a tripod with the horrible sights and 60s surplus APIT we could easily hit 1 foot rocks at 500 yards.    

I’m sure shooting it more and getting familiar would lead to better results.  We were surprised at the accuracy
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Carlos Hathcock mounted an Unertl scope on one.

As l recall,  he saw a kid pushing a bicycle carrying arms and put a single round through the steering head.  When the kid came up with a rifle he had to put one through the kid.  It was at extended range but it's been so long since I've read the book (Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills by Charles Henderson) l've forgotten what it was.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
They're as effective and accurate as far as you can see aided or unaided to adjust fire.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top