Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2022 7:16:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There is an all original on gunbroker for 10 grand..and several others in the 5 grand range
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:33:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember passing on one in the mid 90s for $1,200

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]
They have them at the North store and TMP sometimes.  Last year at Perry during the national matches they had racks of M1Cs nad M1Ds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up my M1D from the S. store a few years back for $1200.  No leather or scope.

Picked up an original leather cheek piece for $275.  Still looking for a scope and mount.  Scopes can be had fairly easily, the mount not so much.  Original mounts are now in the $600 range while scopes are holding steady in the $800-$1200 range.  But they do make repro scopes and mounts for around $300-$500.

A complete M1D should be in the $3500 range last I saw.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Shoot, too late. Buddy has one for $3500, his Dad passed. CMP paper work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.

Well I foed on one. I should have it in a week or two.
View Quote

sweet! hope you got a decent deal! post pics when ya get it in!
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Neat! I missed out on the cheaper M1Ds when the CMP offered them online. I can't get away to go to the store either so I was limited. I was able to buy one of the Italian M1Ds a while back with the transit case. The good thing is they are in 7.62 rather than .30-06. My M2 ball stash is not what it used to be, but I can still buy 7.62 m80 at even Wally world. Lets see some pics when it arrives.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I remember passing on one in the mid 90s for $1,200

Good luck!
View Quote

I bought one of those via the first round lottery from the Director of Civilian Marksmanship.  

It came with a complete kit - scope, mount, leather cheekpiece, sling, muzzle protector,.. everything.  

I have never yet fired it.  I did not buy it intending to just "collect" it but that's the way it is.  I still have the box and packaging and all the parts.  

All these decades later, I don't see any reason to shoot it, as I have migrated away from shooting M1's.  

It is the only firearm of any type that I own which I have never fired.

I'm not bragging here, just sharing my related situation.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Take your time and look for a DCM lottery M1D, expect to be in the $6000 plus range . M1D rifles are easily faked or put together, without provenance is worth no more than the sum of parts.
You can probably find a CMP M1D that someone added mount, scope etc in the $3800 - $4000range
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Back in the old DCM days they had a lottery system for M1D sales.
At the time, the active duty  was shifting to the bolt action M24 from the M14/M21, shuffling those into the national guard, as a result the M1D’s in guard inventory got sent to DCM.
I was drawn to purchase one and if I recall they were about a grand ( in late 1980’s dollars)
I was all excited to get it and it would be a collectors dream ( I did eventually sell it to an avid garand enthusiast)
But as more of a shooter than a collector I was sort of let down.
Don’t get me wrong it was stone mint in the box!
All the associated accessories ( scope , mount, sling, cheek piece etc) were brand new in the wrap, so it would kill collector value to open the packaging assemble it and shoot it, and even to this day having collectibles I don’t shoot isn’t my thing.

As mentioned finding the associated gear is expensive

In reality the only difference between a regular rifle and a D is the barrel, and you can take a correct D barrel ( not easy to find) screw it onto any M1 and have a D
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing that may make a M1D more accurate than the standard garand is the scope. It has no accuracy mods
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#18]
As noted above, fakes abound, as all M1D's are conversions.  A CMP M1D and provenance are certainly something to be sought.  I have that and a reply to a FOIA request specifically mentioning my one such rifle is an M1D.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#19]
After World War II and especially after the Korean War, the M1C superseded the M1D, because the M1D scope mounting wasn't as solid or as secure as the M1C.

In the 1970's the US Army still had M1C's in inventory and they did receive some match rifle acculturating upgrades.

The M1D's had already been taken out of service and out of inventory by then.

In the early 1990's, I did see Italian troops working anti-Mafia detail in Sicily with M1D's.

The ones i saw all had USGI receivers, but were in 7.62 and I think some of the M1D parts may have been Italian-made clones, but they might have been mostly USGI parts.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I got 2 bare receivers from the CMP many years back and built one into a 7.62x51 and another into a D clone for fun. I could never justify the cost for an original

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got 2 bare receivers from the CMP many years back and built one into a 7.62x51 and another into a D clone for fun. I could never justify the cost for an original

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/20220116_125921_jpg-2428102.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/20220116_125935_jpg-2428103.JPG
View Quote

Nice.

I'm still on the hunt for the scope mount.  But they sell quick.  Scopes I can find pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Good score!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
A good original scope and mount will cost you more than the rifle. Replica scope and mounts not much less.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#25]
wow!! thats beautiful!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Beautiful rifle.

Got any pics of the scope mount?  Want to see if it's an original.  The pad is a reproduction, but with originals going for $350-$500 most folks go that route instead.

Quoted:
A good original scope and mount will cost you more than the rifle. Replica scope and mounts not much less.
View Quote

Tell me about it.  Mounts go for $600-$700 and sell super fast at that price.  Scopes are hanging steady at about $1200.  I've found tons of repro mounts and scopes for around $300-$500.  But the repro mounts are known to not work well with USGI barrel blocks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After World War II and especially after the Korean War, the M1C superseded the M1D, because the M1D scope mounting wasn't as solid or as secure as the M1C.

In the 1970's the US Army still had M1C's in inventory and they did receive some match rifle acculturating upgrades.

In the early 1990's, I did see Italian troops working anti-Mafia detail in Sicily with M1D's.

The ones i saw all had USGI receivers, but were in 7.62 and I think some of the M1D parts may have been Italian-made clones, but they might have been mostly USGI parts.
View Quote

I don’t think this is correct. The D was the final version of the garand sniper and replaced the C. If there is documentation to prove otherwise would like to see it or if you could direct me to a link.
It is not unheard of for an older item to supersede a supposed replacement ( look at the single action Army 45’s sent to the Philippines to replace the 38’s for example)
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#28]
You are correct, the M1D came after the M1C and was superior to the M1C

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don’t think this is correct. The D was the final version of the garand sniper and replaced the C. If there is documentation to prove otherwise would like to see it or if you could direct me to a link.
It is not unheard of for an older item to supersede a supposed replacement ( look at the single action Army 45’s sent to the Philippines to replace the 38’s for example)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M1C was developed before the M1D, but the M1D was a quicker to build stop gap during WWII and were carried over to the Korean War, but was made obsolete later and the M1C was kept in inventory, even after the switch to the M14 and all during the XM21 program, before the M21 was standardized.

The US Army go rid of the M1D while still keeping the M1C as a current rifle for quite a while.

The scope mounting of the M1C was much preferred by the Army than that of the M1D.

The US-made M1D scope mount is forged and machined, while the Italian-made M1D scope mount appears to be completely machined from bar stock, or its forging lines have been completely machined over if it was machined from a forging.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I think someone has his facts mixed up
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#31]
If I'm not mistaken, I think I paid $650.00 in the mid 90's when the CMP was still the DCM. I have probably shot it less than 10 times the entire time I've owned it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think someone has his facts mixed up
View Quote
Big time....
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I saw racks of M1C's in 1973.

Later I learned the M1C production ran after the M1D production ended too, but I didn't know that at the time.

There was some sort of modification to fit M1D M84 scopes in M1C mounts, but but it wasn't a great success.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Later I learned the M1C production ran after the M1D production ended too, but I didn't know that at the time.

There was some sort of modification to fit M1D M84 scopes in M1C mounts, but but it wasn't a great success.
View Quote
Let's just sum all that up with a "nope".
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#36]
The M1C was developed at Springfield Armory for the use of Marines, Infantrymen, Snipers, and first adopted as a standard for Snipers on July 27, 1944 and served in the war up to 1945. However, they were developed with limited quantities by the wars end. According to Ordinance Records for World War II, only 7,971 M1Cs were delivered by the war's end. Also, because of the world's end in August 1945, several receivers were left incomplete when development was discontinued, but the start of the Korean War restarted production. Springfield Armory also had to fix up 4,796 M1Cs that were damaged during World War II. Although most of the fixed M1Cs utilized WWII era SA or WRA barrels, or dated early 1950s barrels, some did contain LMR or HRA barrels along with other mixes of parts.

Just a few months after the M1C was adopted, the M1D was adopted as substitute standard in September 1944. While it may seem strange to develop separate, specialized sniping versions of the same rifle, the explanation is quite practical

The M1D was adopted as a substitute for the M1C, creating an easier-to-produce fallback option in case production facilities were unavailable to build the required amount of M1C rifles.

The M1D project also resulted in the development of improved telescopic sights, culminating in the standardization of the 2.2X M84 scope, equipped with sealed optics, protective metal covers on the elevation/windage adjustment knobs, and a sliding light shade. The M1D’s scope could also be mounted without removing the rifle’s iron sights.

By comparison, the M1D was easily created by modifying standard M1 rifles, the conversion process requiring little more than replacing the standard barrel with the special M1D barrel which featured an integral mounting block.

Even though the M1D was ultimately superior to the M1C, the timing of its production effectively kept it from seeing extensive combat. The M1D did not see service in World War II, and when it was put into full-scale production during the Korean War, that conflict was over before the M1Ds could fire shots in anger against the Communist Koreans and Chinese.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/the-m1c-and-m1d-garand-sniper-rifles/

Also some good info on production of both in this article

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-m1c-garand-sniper-rifle/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top