Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2023 9:53:44 AM EDT
For a person who wants to hunt, plink, have a handy, muli purpose .308 for general use.

Personally I am really appreciating the lighter, more simplistic scout type bolt guns.

Of course a light AR-10 variant would probably be better than either. I know this has been best to death, resurrected and beat to death again..
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The Q "Fix" is a more modern and improved version of the Ruger Scout. The Fix is 6.4 pounds.

That being said, I'd take the Ruger SFAR (lightweight AR10) above the others. It's 6.8 pounds.

I wouldn't choose a M1A. They are cool, but heavy and obsolete to be honest.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your response and those well thought out recommendations Sir!

The reason I am starting to shy away from AR's is because I'm left handed with some post Covid lung issues, so unfortunately the less smoke etc.. I breathe the better.

I'll definitely have a look at the Q Fix and SIG Cross perhaps too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont own one yet,  but heard decent things about the mossberg MVP in .308.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger SFAR
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't seen a SFAR to compare too but my Ruger GST is a featherweight compared to my AR10 pr my M1A (scout version). The Fix has some bolt lift issues. It seems it's not talked about a whole lot but just about any video of the Q rifle shows a heavy bolt lift after firing with many guys using the scope body as leverage to lift the bolt. Not sure what that's about but I see it on a lot of videos. Even the Sig, isn't going to save any weight though it will be seen as a more accurate rifle. The GSR's I've had were very accurate with the right handload. The Mossberg offerings come with stocks that were shaped to feel like a cinderblock.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
M1A Scout is an ok choice, but not the best anymore.  I really like them, they are fun to shoot with irons.  Optics mounting is questionable really unless you are going to put on the forward mounted scope.

SFAR is probably the best choice now if you are going with 308.  Near the weight of standard AR, easy optics mounting.  Probably a TA33 on an SFAR 16" with a good sling is going the be the best all around.  My only qualm would be in long term SFAR use - hasn't been around that long, so not sure all the bugs are worked out.  If you get one, shoot it a good bit and prove it.  

If you must have a bolt - Ruger Scout is OK, Sig Cross or Q Fix as noted above, Steyr Scout would also be a nice option.   Sig, Q, and Steyr all are around 6.5 lbs I think.  Not sure about the Ruger.

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My polymer stocked 308 Ruger is 7.5 lbs with sling, mag, Aimpoint 9000SC and Hill People gear ammo carrier on buttstock.
The MDT 3 round mag makes the mag almost flush with the stock and more carry friendly, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You could always get a Howa 308 barreled action from Brownells and put it in what ever chassis or stock you want.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You can't really compare a semi-automatic battle rifle to a hunting-style bolt action.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I loved the M1A, shot it better than AR10s, FALs, HKs etc. It was more accurate than any of those when shooting anything except from a bench.

I've had standard, national match, and a Scout.

With the scout, a red dot can be mounted on the forward Picatinny rail, or a scout scope / pistol scope.

I've never had issues mounting a red dot or a scope on the standard receivers. Never had fitment issues, never had problems with repeatability, even when removing one optic for another, like switching between a scope and a dot, which I did, as well as a night vision optic. The mount was the same, was held in place tightly with the side screw and stripper clip guide, and one screw to level the mount on the side of the receiver top. But that screw is a one time thing.

I can't tell you what to buy, but if it were me, having had all the major players other than the SFAR, I would go M1A in some configuration, with a synthetic stock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I liked my m1a bush until I switched to shooting rifles left handed, then I was constantly getting pinched by the oprod.

Steyr scout was good
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The M1A is a great impact weapon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#13]
BULA makes a left handed M14 clone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Held a M1a tanker the other day and was impressed with its weight.

Have played with the Ruger scouts and always found them to be kinda meh.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I love a good M1A (I own two), but the only way I'd consider one for your requirements of being "handy" and "general purpose" is if you go for the SOCOM or Tanker models with their 16" barrels. In their Scout or full-length 22" guise, they're too bulky to be a "general purpose" rifle.

And at that point, for your requirements, you'd be better off getting one of the new-age bolt actions you listed off, which will be lighter, more ergonomic, and not put any gas in your face (referencing your requirement for low gas).

Buy an M1A if you want one--they're super cool rifles--but I would not advise buying it specifically to fill your handy, general purpose rifle requirement.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]
M1A versus Scout rifle? Distinctly different horses for distinctly different courses.

I shot a Springfield Armory M1A supermatch in Service rifle completion for about a decade and hunted with it as well.  It worked just fine for that purposes, but it was high plains open country.

I currently use a standard grade M1A for casual shooting and the barrel profile makes it a bit lighter and  handier.  The standard M1A points and snap shoots extremely well, despite its size.  In fact they used to put a piece of tape over the rear sight assembly and run Marines through close quarter combat drills with them.  

However, I also like the BM-59 as it’s slightly handier than the M1A, but without the compromises and short comings of the SOCOM and Tanker M1As.  Plus the tri-compensator actually works and results in much softer recoil and less muzzle rise.  

Beretta spent 18 months developing the BM-59, using a high percentage of parts compatibility and parts that could be modified from M1 parts and created a battle rifle that is arguably better than the M14 we spent a decade developing with virtually no parts common to the M1 Garand.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Ruger SFAR is pretty amazing(I shoot lefty also and have had no issues with it. If you are going bolt the bergara b-14 SP is really with looking at. Short handy package at a good price. It is not really a scout rifle, but if you are not intending in forward mounting scope it would fit the desired purpose nicely.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an M1A Scout Squad i bought years ago when they first came out. Found this Hopco mount for an RMR that fits an M1 or M1A. The mount is fairly cheap. So I ordered one.
You can find them Here

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an M1A Scout Squad i bought years ago when they first came out. Found this Hopco mount for an RMR that fits an M1 or M1A. The mount is fairly cheap. So I ordered one.
You can find them Here

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89/7d4d5e_ed799e3569564ec7ad1151793b8cb582_-2791605.jpg
View Quote

Another option as well if you want some magnification.

Attachment Attached File

https://cogburnarsenal.com/product/m1-m14-microprism-mount/
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#20]

I have an M1A Scout and a Ruger Scout.....although my Ruger is in 450 Bushmaster.

The M1A is a great rifle, but too heavy for my backwoods purposes. If the Chinese paratroopers ever land on my lake, they are in trouble though.

I find the Ruger Scout to be about perfect for my use....cruising thick woods, deer or black bear hunting....just having a rifle handy.

Mine is extremely accurate.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I want to love the M1a but the 3 I’ve owned have underwhelmed

People shoot them well somehow, it can be done just not by me I guess.  AR15s spoiled me I think
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can find them Here

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89/7d4d5e_ed799e3569564ec7ad1151793b8cb582_-2791605.jpg

Another option as well if you want some magnification.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/IMG_4242_jpeg-2791622.JPG

https://cogburnarsenal.com/product/m1-m14-microprism-mount/

Oh snap
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#23]

If you order that, you better order these at the same time:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#24]
For op's stated purposes, the Ruger scout rifle really is a great option. Relatively lightweight (especially with the polymer stock), simple, effective.

I have a scout scope for it but i actually just enjoy shooting it with irons and never mount the scope.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't have an SFAR (yet), but I do have a 12.5" and 16" 308 Rogue, which are what the SFAR seems to have been based on.

They are what I would use if I wanted a carry around 308 in most cases. The gun itself is as light as the Ruger scout. I would want an optic and light on any gun I dedicated for "general use."

The SCAR is a fun option, but it wouldn't be my top choice.

A 12-13" 308 would be plenty for any hunting within a few hundred yards.

But if you're a lefty with issues getting gas in the face, the bolt gun is a better option.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Holy cow, that's some creative thinking. You just might have sold me on one from the picture alone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the Ruger Scout a lot, but for me with your intended purpose (if I couldn't get both), I'd go M1A or AR10. M1A if you want iron and wood/traditional rifle look, AR10 if you don't care about that. The AR10 is very versatile and easy for the end user to wrench on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#29]
As a lefty, I have an lrb 308 brush/scout rifle with an 18" barrel. It's nice.

I want a socom for a general bounce around .308 but I can't find one cheap enough to do it. If I ever find one for $1100, $1200, I'll be all over it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I mean, "a handy, multi purpose rifle for general use" is pretty much exactly what the scout rifle concept was intended to be.  I believe the Steyr is the only one that Cooper personally was involved with.  The Ruger obviously bears the "Gunsite" name, so it would seem to have some connection to Cooper's ideas, but the question would be how much...  I guess what I'm saying is, if you're into a scout, check out the options and see what you like.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#31]
If I were left handed and wanted a general purpose hunting .308 I would consider:

Browning BAR hunting semiauto in .308.  The synthetic stock version is only 6 lbs 10 oz.  I have a BAR in .30-'06.  Its light, reliable and has more than adequate accuracy.  If on a budget look for a lightly used Remington 742 or 7400 in .308.  I have a 742 and it is perfect for combination brush and open country hunting out to 350 yards or so.  Mine shoots good hunting handloads at about 1.5 MOA.

For a left hand bolt action, it would be the Savage 110.  This is a very accurate rifle that has been in production for many years with a great reputation for sub MOA right out of the box at a budget-friendly price.

I would not be looking at a military-style semiauto.

I would NOT want a scout rifle.  Those of us who have one, and I do, know that a long eye relief magnified optic has a very narrow field of view compared to a traditional 3 to 4 inch eye relief scope.  Unless you are familiar with the limitations of scout scopes or just want to use a 1x red dot, you may be disappointed.  My only remaining scout rifle is that way of necessity.  It has a fixed Williams receiver target sight and Lyman Globe target front sight.  Since the receiver sight can't be removed I have a QD return to zero mounted scout scope ahead of the action.  Its suboptimal, but the only was to scope that rifle.

The optic I would chose on either rifle would a low powered variable scope in the 1-6x range with a simple illuminated retucle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If I were left handed and wanted a general purpose hunting .308 I would consider:

Browning BAR hunting semiauto in .308.  The synthetic stock version is only 6 lbs 10 oz.  I have a BAR in .30-'06.  Its light, reliable and has more than adequate accuracy.  If on a budget look for a lightly used Remington 742 or 7400 in .308.  I have a 742 and it is perfect for combination brush and open country hunting out to 350 yards or so.  Mine shoots good hunting handloads at about 1.5 MOA.

For a left hand bolt action, it would be the Savage 110.  This is a very accurate rifle that has been in production for many years with a great reputation for sub MOA right out of the box at a budget-friendly price.

I would not be looking at a military-style semiauto.

I would NOT want a scout rifle.  Those of us who have one, and I do, know that a long eye relief magnified optic has a very narrow field of view compared to a traditional 3 to 4 inch eye relief scope.  Unless you are familiar with the limitations of scout scopes or just want to use a 1x red dot, you may be disappointed.  My only remaining scout rifle is that way of necessity.  It has a fixed Williams receiver target sight and Lyman Globe target front sight.  Since the receiver sight can't be removed I have a QD return to zero mounted scout scope ahead of the action.  Its suboptimal, but the only was to scope that rifle.

The optic I would chose on either rifle would a low powered variable scope in the 1-6x range with a simple illuminated retucle.
View Quote
you don't actually have to mount a scout scope on a ruger scout rifle. Agreed about the lpvo though.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#33]
A Ruger Scout is on my short list to buy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Have you thought of this one? Less expensive than some of the options here, MSRP of $749, and weighs 7 pounds. I like mine.
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-600-alpha/

Attachment Attached File

I shot the M14 with the US Navy back in the late 80s. HEAVY rifle, but accurate as the day was long. I have no experience with AR10s of any kind.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Have you thought of this one? Less expensive than some of the options here, MSRP of $749, and weighs 7 pounds. I like mine.
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-600-alpha/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360589/2_3_23_7_jpg-2800297.JPG

I shot the M14 with the US Navy back in the late 80s. HEAVY rifle, but accurate as the day was long. I have no experience with AR10s of any kind.
View Quote

Looks like a nice rifle. But, a general purpose, do all rifle, should have iron sights IMO.

A scope, in addition to iron sights is great. But it should have open sights.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Have you looked at the Benelli Lupo, just a thought!
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Those are all great suggestions/comments. The M1A love is great to see.

Any thoughts on 16" vs 18 inch Barrels on the Scout's?

The Tikka Scout configuration seems excellent but expensive!
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I mean, "a handy, multi purpose rifle for general use" is pretty much exactly what the scout rifle concept was intended to be.  I believe the Steyr is the only one that Cooper personally was involved with.  The Ruger obviously bears the "Gunsite" name, so it would seem to have some connection to Cooper's ideas, but the question would be how much...  I guess what I'm saying is, if you're into a scout, check out the options and see what you like.
View Quote

Savage made a scout model a few years back.  Springfield Armory also marketed an M1A "scout" with a forward scope mounting area.

Is the OP really in the market for a scout configuration, or just a bolt action with iron sights and scope mounting options?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Recently bought a ruger SFAR.  Only have 40 rounds through it, but I am impressed. The weight alone is crazy. And just leaning/bracing against a tree for support, I was putting 5 rounds into under 4" at 100 yards. Want to put more rounds through it, but I can recommend this as a do it all .308 rifle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Shuff’s Mini-G in .308 for the big win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlYJacucucQ

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't have an SFAR (yet), but I do have a 12.5" and 16" 308 Rogue, which are what the SFAR seems to have been based on.

They are what I would use if I wanted a carry around 308 in most cases. The gun itself is as light as the Ruger scout. I would want an optic and light on any gun I dedicated for "general use."

But if you're a lefty with issues getting gas in the face, the bolt gun is a better option.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20220716_002025_jpg-2454552_jpg-2793106.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20230312_222900_jpg-2743374_jpg-2793107.JPG
View Quote

I know you kind of discounted 308 AR’s, but Daggertt speaks truth. A POF Rogue or Ruger SFAR is game changing once you get to hold one. With an optic and loaded mag you’re still around the weight of a naked M14 platform.

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Well I've had both, and now only have the Ruger. It's the "huntin' rifle" in our house (though only my son hunts with it. The M1A was great, and I had it for 15+ years. But once I got my AR-10 I just never really gravitated back to the M1A. It's a "man's weapon" with a classic nod to history... but I rarely have the luxury on buying new things if I haven't sold old things yet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#44]
OP,
I've owned the following guns for the purpose you described ...

Mossberg MVP Scout with Aimpoint CompM4
Savage 110 Scout with Leupold Scout Scope
Ruger 16" Scout with Leupold Scout Scope
Ruger 18" Stainless Scout with Leupold Scout Scope
Springfield Armory M1A Bush
Springfield Armory M1A Scout with Leupold Scout Scope
Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM with Aimpoint CompM4

I concluded that the "scout concept" is cool and Jeff Cooper had a neat idea ... but ... it is outdated and doesn't really work well in real life.

Therefore, I tried the following ...

DSA 16" Para FAL with Aimpoint CompM4
Sig Sauer 716i Tread AR10 with LPVO
Springfield Armory SAR-48 18" FAL with Aimpoint CompM4

What did I find works the best?

LMT MARS-H 16" AR10 with Trijicon TA11 ACOG + RMR Piggyback

The LMT is light enough, fast, EXTREMELY ACCURATE, 100% reliable and the optic is plenty for non-precision use.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#45]
General comment on Springfield M1As....

I bought my first M1A in 1991, and have owned A TON of them since.  Standard, Match, Super Match, Loaded, Bush, Scout, and SOCOMs.  Several of each.  The ONLY reason I would own a M1A is for hobby use and nostalgia and then only if someone gave it to me for free.  They simply are not the best 308 option.  They're not even a good 308 option.  When SA ran out of USGI parts they went from "marginal" to "unacceptable".  I've had to have SA, Inc. replace receivers, bolts and barrels.  SA,Inc use to have great customer service ... they needed it. I do not own one now nor will I ever own another.    My father used a M14 in the Corps so I have an affinity for the general design, but they really kind of suck.  

It doesn't really matter if someone likes the design or not, but the SR25 pattern and HK417 pattern rifles are the standard for semi-auto 7.62mm.

ETA: I also can not fathom why anyone would consider a bolt action anything unless it was required by some draconian law.  They're like pump shotguns ... if an equally reliable semi-auto exits why would you hamper yourself with a manually operated arm?  It would be like carrying a single-action revolver.  Fun for range plinking once a year, but otherwise ...
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20220716_002025_jpg-2454552_jpg-2793106.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20230312_222900_jpg-2743374_jpg-2793107.JPG
View Quote

I owned "several" SCAR-H when I was trying to move out of FALs into a modern semi-auto 7.62MM.  After replacing lowers with aluminum, etc I finally just accepted that I needed to go to AR10s.  A couple of Colt 901s later I found LMT MWS and that was that.  Now I'm onto LMT MARS-H but wouldn't turn down any MWS.

ETA: I also liked my HK MR762 with Vortex Razor but it was almost a crew-served weapon based upon the weight (after adding a G 417 extended rail, etc).

MY FINAL ANALYSIS:  LMT MARS-H with MLOK chassis and your optic of choice is about as good as it gets.   With a stainless 16" barrel, match ammo, and quality (Vortex Razor, NF, Leupold Mk6) magnified optic it is an 800 yard gun that with an offset RMR or T2 can also clear houses.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For a person who wants to hunt, plink, have a handy, muli purpose .308 for general use.

Personally I am really appreciating the lighter, more simplistic scout type bolt guns.

Of course a light AR-10 variant would probably be better than either. I know this has been best to death, resurrected and beat to death again..
View Quote

Can't get any more simplistic than this.

The factory aperture has been replaced with a larger one manufactured by XS. It has been zeroed for M80 ball.

A second factory rear sight is zeroed for my preferred hunting load. A single screw secures the sight, return to zero hasn't been a problem.

A Ruger SFAR is on my wishlist.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP,
I've owned the following guns for the purpose you described ...

Mossberg MVP Scout with Aimpoint CompM4
Savage 110 Scout with Leupold Scout Scope
Ruger 16" Scout with Leupold Scout Scope
Ruger 18" Stainless Scout with Leupold Scout Scope
Springfield Armory M1A Bush
Springfield Armory M1A Scout with Leupold Scout Scope
Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM with Aimpoint CompM4

I concluded that the "scout concept" is cool and Jeff Cooper had a neat idea ... but ... it is outdated and doesn't really work well in real life.

Therefore, I tried the following ...

DSA 16" Para FAL with Aimpoint CompM4
Sig Sauer 716i Tread AR10 with LPVO
Springfield Armory SAR-48 18" FAL with Aimpoint CompM4

What did I find works the best?

LMT MARS-H 16" AR10 with Trijicon TA11 ACOG + RMR Piggyback

The LMT is light enough, fast, EXTREMELY ACCURATE, 100% reliable and the optic is plenty for non-precision use.

View Quote

Curious how light you were able to get your LMT?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top