Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2018 6:04:38 AM EDT
I have a fulton M14 receiver completed with all TRW parts in a Sage EBR stock.  I'm looking to increase the accuracy and was thinking of going with a Krieger Med weight barrel.  I really know nothing about these and am looking for recommendations on who to send rifle to for rebarrel?  It looks like Fulton Armory can do it for a decent price but checking for other recommended options.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Try these shops:
www.tedbrownrifles.com/   Ted Brown, Shooters Den

Isaac "Ike" McCaskill, near Cassett SC, Former marine armorer, with a gunsmithing shop at his house. He shoots matches with the M1 and M14 and does repair and mod work for a lot of match shooters. Phone 803-425-4329, (Wife may answer the phone.) He did an M14S build for me.

James River Armory in Burgaw, NC may be worth a try, [email protected], Office 910-300-6462
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Champion's Choice - LaVergne, Tennessee.

Douglas and Criterion barrels are very good and considerably leas expensive. The barrel alone will not maximize results. You want a complete National Match accuracy build-up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd call and ask about turn around time.  It's not that hard of a job and some shops are notorious for taking eons.  They guy I use back in California did mine in 3 days.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!  I'll make some calls next week.  I thought other things were needed for that as well (national match)  so I'll just have to call and talk to someone about getting the work done.  I've read good things about Criterion barrels too and they are a lot cheaper.  I'm not looking into making a benchrest tac driver, just would like to tighten up groups some and get a barrel on it that isn't 50 years old :).   I have a Gap built 6 Dasher tactical mag fed when I need to punch those tiny groups but these M14's sure are fun!
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#5]
http://wolfefirearms.com/products/barrels/

Get the modified medium profile barrel and have Jon install it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try these shops:
www.tedbrownrifles.com/   Ted Brown, Shooters Den

Isaac "Ike" McCaskill, near Cassett SC, Former marine armorer, with a gunsmithing shop at his house. He shoots matches with the M1 and M14 and does repair and mod work for a lot of match shooters. Phone 803-425-4329, (Wife may answer the phone.) He did an M14S build for me.

James River Armory in Burgaw, NC may be worth a try, [email protected], Office 910-300-6462
View Quote
The first two are fine ... But I'd avoid sending anything, including a single-shot .22, to JRA.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I emailed Jon Wolfe and waiting to hear back from him.  Seems to have good reviews from what I can find searching past threads on different forums.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I had Springfield change my loaded to a scout squad barrel a few years ago. Quick turnaround and it was pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I recommend just going with fulton. Just be sure to send your bolt too. If you buy from them, they'll guarantee the fitting.

Not to insult you, but m1a isn't a simple barrel swap. It requires fitting/lapping of the bolt and receiver. Once the bolt and barrel mates, that is it. Since you have a TRW bolt, most likely it'll be a drop in or a minor lapping. If the barrel is unlined, it'll have to be reamed. For chrome lined, you just have to take the luck of the draw but in most cases I found, it only required simple lapping. I wouldn't take it to a local gunsmith unless you know that person knows m1 rifles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I recommend just going with fulton. Just be sure to send your bolt too. If you buy from them, they'll guarantee the fitting.

Not to insult you, but m1a isn't a simple barrel swap. It requires fitting/lapping of the bolt and receiver. Once the bolt and barrel mates, that is it. Since you have a TRW bolt, most likely it'll be a drop in or a minor lapping. If the barrel is unlined, it'll have to be reamed. For chrome lined, you just have to take the luck of the draw but in most cases I found, it only required simple lapping. I wouldn't take it to a local gunsmith unless you know that person knows m1 rifles.
View Quote
The barrel needs to be timed so the front sight/flash hider is TDC when torqued in place.

The barrels come from the manufacturer chambered with a headspace approximately .010" too short. A reamer is installed in the chamber end and a rod (similar to a cleaning rod) is attached through the barrel. Final chamber headspace is carefully hand cut buy turning the handle on the rod while the bolt pushes the reamer under spring tension into the chamber. The bolt on a used rifle is already lapped as far as fitting the receiver lugs, it's called wear.

Most gunsmiths will try to cut the chamber at SAAMI minimum +.002". This is the midway point of acceptable headspace. Specialty tools, a lathe and years of experience all help get this perfect. A home gunsmith has very little chance that the barrel shoulder will magically align at TDC upon installation. If it does, buy a lottery ticket. A lathe and mathematical calculations are needed to remove just enough metal for the barrel shoulder to get the front sight/flash hider alignment to TDC. Specialty tools are needed to get it perfect.

I would never attempt this at home on a $400+/- barrel because you get one chance at getting it right. Send it to the company that manufactured the receiver if you're not comfortable with a custom gunsmith. They will guarantee their work and eat any mistakes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.  I know this isn't for a home installation and I wouldn't get it done by someone who doesn't have experience with these.  That's why I'm looking for some good places to send it.  I'm waiting to hear back from John Wolfe and I'll see from there.  I'll probably get some additional work done to help enhance accuracy, but at the end of the day, this is a battle rifle not like my GA Precision bolt rifles.  I just figured since I have the sage stock/scope mount, why not go all the way and see what happens.   I'm guessing to get a consistent MOA isn't easily accomplished with these?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The barrel needs to be timed so the front sight/flash hider is TDC when torqued in place.

The barrels come from the manufacturer chambered with a headspace approximately .010" too short. A reamer is installed in the chamber end and a rod (similar to a cleaning rod) is attached through the barrel. Final chamber headspace is carefully hand cut buy turning the handle on the rod while the bolt pushes the reamer under spring tension into the chamber. The bolt on a used rifle is already lapped as far as fitting the receiver lugs, it's called wear.

Most gunsmiths will try to cut the chamber at SAAMI minimum +.002". This is the midway point of acceptable headspace. Specialty tools, a lathe and years of experience all help get this perfect. A home gunsmith has very little chance that the barrel shoulder will magically align at TDC upon installation. If it does, buy a lottery ticket. A lathe and mathematical calculations are needed to remove just enough metal for the barrel shoulder to get the front sight/flash hider alignment to TDC. Specialty tools are needed to get it perfect.

I would never attempt this at home on a $400+/- barrel because you get one chance at getting it right. Send it to the company that manufactured the receiver if you're not comfortable with a custom gunsmith. They will guarantee their work and eat any mistakes.
View Quote
Nonsense ! I have put together many a M1 and M14/M1A rifles at home and never needed any machine work. With the knowledge and the correct tools it's not very hard at all. I'm not the only one who has done it and there's other still building every day at home.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#13]
How well does the rifle shoot now and what are your goals?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How well does the rifle shoot now and what are your goals?
View Quote
It's around 1.75-2 MOA.  I have done a good deal of loadwork with 168 and 175 SMK and IMR4064 and that's about as good as I can get it.  I know these are battle rifles and won't be one hole shooters, but I was just thinking since I have the sage stock, etc. why not just get some work done and get a barrel that isnt 50 years old or however old it may be.  I would be very pleased with around 1 MOA consistently.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Or, you could contact Kreiger directly.
My last M1A barrel change was directly with Kreiger. Great shooting barrel and you eliminate the middle men.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Criterion mid-weight from LRB serves my rifle well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Douglas and Criterion barrels are very good and considerably leas expensive. The barrel alone will not maximize results. You want a complete National Match accuracy build-up.
View Quote

This. My Douglas barrel is a sub moa shooter. I am sadly not sub moa. From a bench with 168's it will shoot impressively.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a chrome lined midweight Criterion that is awesome, but the rifle does have all the NM mods. It took me months deciding if I would go with a new barrel that was chrome lined, but I eventually crossed my fingers, kissed my backside goodbye and placed the order. In that case, I made a good decision or it happened to work out great. Nice to have a parkerized barrel as well.

LRB does barrel work also.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone make a lightweight contour for these?
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Contact Ted and have a Douglas barrel installed
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. I had an M1 rebarreled through Champions Choice. Bought a Douglas barrel from them. It turned into an incredibly accurate rifle. I used it for 1000 yd matches for a long time with a short front sight so I wouldn't have to turn up the rear but about 10-12 clicks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
These guys and buy a Douglas barrel
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I had Fulton install my medium weight stainless Criterion for me and do a few accuracy improvements while it was there.  Before my son came along I could get
1" or less groupings at 100 yards while prone.  Though pricey, I'm very happy with the work Fulton did on my M1A Standard.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nonsense ! I have put together many a M1 and M14/M1A rifles at home and never needed any machine work. With the knowledge and the correct tools it's not very hard at all. I'm not the only one who has done it and there's other still building every day at home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn’t as simple as an AR but it is doable with a pull through reamer which is likely going to have longish headspace not minimum.   To do it on a lathe it is not terribly ha d if you buy the M1 and M14 shop manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen.   If you are ham fisted and cannot follow or understand technical instructions it may not be for you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone make a lightweight contour for these?
View Quote
The original USGI barrel design is the light weight version.  Part of the initial design was putting the Garand on a diet.   The medium weight and heavy weight  barrels came about for match shooting.  My memory is fuzzy but the medium weights may have been tested as for the automatic rifleman setup with the selector switch.    I have read on that but forget if it was ever fielded.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I have some rounds through mine now and it's not shooting too bad.   Using IMI match 7.62 brass with #34 primers and 42.0 IMR 4064 it's shooting better than I thought it would.  I ran it to 1000 the other day in the morning.  500 yards 6 rounds were right at MOA or slightly under.  I was surprised.  600 yards the same right at MOA.   800 yards the vertical held great but two rounds were out opening up the group to around 1.5 MOA.   Went to 1000 and guessed on my elevation and fired three rounds.  I was surprised to say the least that the 3 rounds were in a triangle group right at 9".   Went back and fired 5 more and 3 grouped well but had two flyers but overall it shoots better than I was thinking it would.

I called Jon Wolfe last week and asked about him installing a Med weight Krieger and he said it would definitely help especially since I'm using the Sage EBR stock.   It's like a 6 month wait so I'll send it out around August or so and see how it ends up.

I've read good things about Jon Wolfe so I don't think I can go wrong with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top