Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2019 2:20:04 PM EDT
I picked up an M1A in a trade a while back and it has a Sadlack mag release. I noticed while shooting, the recoil is causing the mags to come loose. I want to switch back to a USGI mag release, but was curious if I may need a stiffer after market spring to be safe?

Mags are USGI as far as I know. I don’t think it’s overpassed. Ammo was cheap Wolf steel case and recoil felt normal. Any thoughts or ideas outside of the after market mag release?
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Edit: See my post below
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Replace the mag release spring.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, to be sure, replace the magazine catch, spring, and pin for $24 plus shipping.  Go to Fulton Armory’s M1A parts page to order them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the gun bedded?  How does the tail of the op rod spring guide look?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The so called match op rod spring guides can be pretty soft and over time may get chewed to the point where it can no longer hold the mag in place.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is the gun bedded?  How does the tail of the op rod spring guide look?
View Quote
I’m guessing I had a bad mag or two. I shot it again this weekend with mags I just bought and the mags held in place just fine.

I’ll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Thanks to everyone that responded.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The so called match op rod spring guides can be pretty soft and over time may get chewed to the point where it can no longer hold the mag in place.
View Quote
Came to say this. Or the oval shaped hole that the op rod spring guide pin slides through isn’t big/open  enough for the mag to grab enough metal there in the front.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top