Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2018 5:58:35 PM EDT
Greetings,

Im looking at a Springfield Armory M1A 16" kryptec highlander rifle .308. 1200$ or something like that.

My question is does anyone have any experience, accuracy advice, any input for a 16" M1A? And is this gun legal in CA (an 18" version)? I have residence elsewhere but itd be a nice gun for commifornia.

Gun control everywhere is bs but ca is wiping their ass with the 2nd.

thanks
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak to accuracy for mine (a SOCOM 16) quite yet. I got it kinda zeroed, but that terrible, super-wide front sight had to go, so I DX'ed it in favor of a scout NM sight, which is only a little shorter than the factory SOCOM 16 sight. I haven't yet had a chance to rezero with the new sight. I also ditched the scout rail and got a regular handguard, as I really like the M1/M14 irons. If I do ever decide to scope it or put a dot sight on it, I'll get a A.R.M.S #18. They're a little expensive, but it's my favorite mount by far. I doubt that will happen, though.

I can say, however, that it is a lot of fun to shoot, and contrary to what I'd been told, the muzzle blast isn't really all that bad (though having "artillery ears" may help with that). The muzzle brake that comes on the SOCOM 16 is very effective; felt recoil is less than a .30-30, at least to me. I did a very basic "fluff & buff" job on the sear/hammer mating surfaces, and have ended up with a more than acceptable trigger.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Greetings,

Im looking at a Springfield Armory M1A 16" kryptec highlander rifle .308. 1200$ or something like that.

My question is does anyone have any experience, accuracy advice, any input for a 16" M1A? And is this gun legal in CA (an 18" version)? I have residence elsewhere but itd be a nice gun for commifornia.

Gun control everywhere is bs but ca is wiping their ass with the 2nd.

thanks
View Quote
I have the rifle you are speaking of. I am fairly sure it is not legal in CA.

There is a CA/NY legal M1A but it's kinda funky.

I have a couple scouts as well. The scouts see the most amount of use. The Socom is still unfired, as I have only had it a week. Mine will be getting turned into a compact side folder here shortly. Accuracy is about 3-4MOA. These are battle rifles not really made for extreme accuracy. You can get them down to 1.5 or so MOA with some work. Bedding and unitized gas system are usually the first step. You may want to replace the front site on the SOCOM if you want accuracy. It's neat that it is a tritium post. The down side is that it is very WIDE. The NM site front and rear will help with the accuracy. For the SOCOM I am planning on leaving the wide sight and the larger aperture rear sight. I will likely be removing the scout mount as well. It isn't needed for my use. It will also shave some weight off.

I also paid 1200 for mine from PSA on their black friday deal. Be aware the kryptec finish chips easily. Mine has already started to flake off in one spot. I will likely be taking the stock off and not reusing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top