Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2022 2:19:27 AM EDT
So I'm going to build a rifle. I've had an LRB M25 receiver in my safe for about 15 years now.  And I've got a TRW barrel that has minimal throat and muzzle erosion, still registered "new" by USGI standards last time I checked.

So would a modern nitride barrel "likely" be better than the TRW USGI?  

And is anyone making new op rods that are top-notch?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I had LRB install a TRW barrel on my LRB receiver about 10 years ago because I didn't want to risk the warranty. They did a good job, still have the rifle and still shoot it on occasion.

I would go with a USGI barrel over an aftermarket nitride but that's just me. Some say nitride is every bit as durable as chrome lined; I don't know about that but I do know they work good on ARs.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and don't forget to post pics.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, is this rifle intended for competition or just general plinking? I built mine for competition at Camp Perry and did pretty well with it. I used a medium weight Douglas barrel but if I had a TRW barrel already and in good shape, I would have used that. The Douglas barrel is not chrome lined but that didn't matter to me. For an Op rod, I would look for NM (National Match) or GI. Try Fulton armory for parts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, is this rifle intended for competition or just general plinking? I built mine for competition at Camp Perry and did pretty well with it. I used a medium weight Douglas barrel but if I had a TRW barrel already and in good shape, I would have used that. The Douglas barrel is not chrome lined but that didn't matter to me. For an Op rod, I would look for NM (National Match) or GI. Try Fulton armory for parts.
View Quote
I don't have plans for competition, but I'd like a rifle capable of competing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I'm going to build a rifle. I've had an LRB M25 receiver in my safe for about 15 years now.  And I've got a TRW barrel that has minimal throat and muzzle erosion, still registered "new" by USGI standards last time I checked.

View Quote

TRW got a waiver from cut rifling barrels to make hammer forged barrels for the M14.

The TRW M14 barrels are hammer forged and slightly thicker / heavier in the middle of the barrel, but only by a very small amount.

The thickness difference is very small, but the TRW barrels are very slightly heavier than the service barrels.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got a TRW barrel that has minimal throat and muzzle erosion, still registered "new" by USGI standards last time I checked.
View Quote
Awesome. Use it.

View Quote
No.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/m14/m14-m1a-usgi-contour-barrel/
This one could be just as good, or possibly better, but it's not "likely" to be better.
If you order a Criterion barrel, get one with chrome lining. There's no disadvantage (unlike with older manufacturing techniques in the 1960s which statistically resulted in decreased precision).

View Quote
Idk. Haven't looked for any in many years.
If you have an un-cut (not welded-back-together after DEMIL) USGI op rod, I'd utilize that as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the Criterion for modern chrome lining.  

The old barrels sometimes have their chrome lining flake off in the throat at which point it’s not going to help accuracy.  

From what I read the modern chroming is a much better lasting product.

I have on Stainless SA Inc NM barrel. 22”
One Winchester 6118 marked chrome lined USGI barrel 22”
and one 18” Chrome lined Criterion barrel.  

They shoot as good as each other.   The SA Inc. gun is scoped and bedded in a McM M3A stock.  It is a bit tighter than the others but still has a 1in 10 flier up and right from the group.  I did a lot of testing and never eliminated that egg shape group but it was respectable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top