Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2018 11:13:11 AM EDT
Ive got an M1A with the select fire stock.  The painted brown filler piece has become cracked and now deteriorating.  I'd like to send it out to be professionally refilled and colorized.

Not interested in doing it myself.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't want the dummy kit like mentioned above and want a wood plug grafted to it, try contacting John Thomas at retro arms works. He can be found in the ar retro section. His work is museum quality and extremely price friendly. He re-parked my uncle's M1A earlier this year. The turn around time was only a week.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.

Thought about it and, no, I'm not really into the faux selector switch.  Just rather have a clean walnut plug fitted in, stained, and oiled to match.

I sent that fellow, John Thomas, an email to see if that's in his wheelhouse.

I'm open to any other recommendations of wood working guys that would do a nice job.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.

Thought about it and, no, I'm not really into the pho selector switch.  Just rather have a clean walnut plug fitted in, stained, and oiled to match.

I sent that fellow, John Thomas, and email to see if that's in his wheelhouse.

I'm open to any other recommendations of wood working guys that would do a nice job.
View Quote
Your rifle-your decison, but I like the selector kit in a surplus stock.  First picture below is my M1A in the commercial walnut stock as it came from the factory.  2nd pic is the same rifle in a surplus birch stock with the faux selector kit sporting a lockout button in place of the switch.  Best for me because it reminds me so much of my basic training rifle issued back in 1969.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
JB Weld or Devcon Steel Epoxy will fill the void nicely and can be sanded.

Consider having the rifle bedded by a service rifle gunsmith, not some local yokal. Marine Tex or Devcon Steel Epoxy are my first picks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top