Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2018 11:40:48 AM EDT
Maybe someone knowledgeable on the M1903A3 can help me out. When loading from stripper clips the rounds jam up and won't feed smoothly into the mag. It appears that either the follower or the clip/round is hanging up on a nub at the rear of the mag. I'm questioning the fitment of the rear of the mag and the receiver. It almost looks like the rear of the receiver bent part of the mag inward. Maybe the stock inlet was too much on the front of the trigger guard and caused the rear of the mag to press into the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If it appears to be hanging up on a nub, maybe some judicious use of a hand file to knock it down would work...I just load singles myself....
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm delaying taking a file too it until I don't have another option. I can't find a picture of how it's supposed to fit in a properly functioning rifle. In pics of a new trigger guard the rear of the mag has a tab that is smooth and gentle curved rearward. I'm wondering if I should shim the front bushing on the trigger guard then point the dented in portion flat again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you post any pictures?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
03A3 pics

fixed your link up op
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it appears to be hanging up on a nub, maybe some judicious use of a hand file to knock it down would work...I just load singles myself....
View Quote
I think I only loaded singles too.  I will have to try a stripper clip next time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't see pictures.  Check out the sites FAQ's on how to post pics.

Never mind.  Followed the link and was able to view the pics.  Something has chewed up the top of the magazine box on your rifle.  It should be flat across that portion at the top, not notched like yours is.  Is your magazine box stamped steel or milled?  If it's milled, it's possible that somebody "fitted" a 1903 magazine box to function in a 03A3.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a stamped magazine. Idk if I can just hammer it flat then reinstall it. Curious as to why it got like that. Is there supposed to be a protrusion from the receiver that is pushing into the rear wall of the magazine or was the stock not Inlet properly. I can't find anything to compare it to. Tech manual drawings from the 40s aren't very helpful.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are two pics of the magazine box from my '43 Remington 03A3:
DSC_0470 by depercy, on Flickr
DSC_0469 by depercy, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the post. Was guessing from others I've seen that's how mine should look. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of it in the rifle and how it fits up against the rear of the receiver would you?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the post. Was guessing from others I've seen that's how mine should look. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of it in the rifle and how it fits up against the rear of the receiver would you?
View Quote
DSC_0473 by depercy, on Flickr
DSC_0471 by depercy, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the pic, this is a huge help.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm curious about the lack of a seam. I wonder if it's a "repaired" foreign part? Bill Ricca lists 03A3 trigger guards for $25-65. It might be worth buying a cheap one to see if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm curious about the lack of a seam. I wonder if it's a "repaired" foreign part? Bill Ricca lists 03A3 trigger guards for $25-65. It might be worth buying a cheap one to see if that makes a difference.
View Quote
That's why I asked if it was stamped or milled steel.  I suspected it was for an 03, but OP insists it's stamped.

OP - can you remove the magazine box from the rifle and post pictures from different angles?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's why I asked if it was stamped or milled steel.  I suspected it was for an 03, but OP insists it's stamped.

OP - can you remove the magazine box from the rifle and post pictures from different angles?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The milled guard has a scallop out of the rear tab. The metal also looks thicker. Image stolen off internet.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
It's in an 03A3. It is a stamped part, not milled. The rifle I believe was a Gibbs rebuild so I suspect it was a low quality replacement part. It does have a seam but the 2 sides were folded up poorly and the two sides weren't even when it was welded together. The rifle also has a trigger too light for my liking so I'll probably snag a new sear as well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Mild derailment, since OP's problem has been identified, and the fix soon to be applied:
The issue chargers for 1903s and '03a3s are essentially single-use items because the folding tabs break off.
The chargers for '94-'96 Swedish Mausers work just fine and are reusable multiple times.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, the Swedish clips are GTG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top