Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 6:20:33 AM EDT
I have a Colt SP1 RR, s/s/a.  Been rock solid for years, beta mag dumps no problem.  Never changed a thing since I've owned it.  Recently it started to only fire long bursts (6,7,8etc) but perfectly in semi.  Did a heavy cleaning, then tried again, a couple 3 or 4, then single, yet perfectly fine in semi.  This time spent good time cleaning and inspection shows no obvious issues, breakage, or excess wear with any parts (auto-sear appears pristine to my novice eyes).  Next took it out and tried swapping complete bolt carriers, same issue.  Multiple full auto carriers, magazines, ammo, no change.  Semi perfect, full only is bolt action.  First round fires, then nothing.  I pull the charging handle, and loaded cartridge ejects.  Now fires once, and same issue.

I'm at loss, maybe it's something obvious another pair of eyes would see, but hoping this sounds familiar to someone.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the lower isn't the issue. Have you tried different uppers?

Also I'm a bit confused, At first you say it shoots long 6-7 rd bursts, to me that's a bad sear or trigger not catching and letting it run long or a super high rate of fire making it hard to do short bursts. But the. You said it was not cycling and you had to cycle manually, that sounds like a bad gas block not letting enough gas in to push the BCG and eject the round.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#2]
If nothing has been changed for years, I would look at replacing all the springs in the gun and maybe the FCG.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Check or just replace the hammer/trigger/disconnector/sear springs. If they are weak/broken the timing will go off. Make sure the selector is not worn and that the selector detent (and spring) is not worn (allowing the selector to wiggle when firing). If the hammer is worn where it catches the sear it could allow hammer to follow the bolt and cause the stoppage. Also check the disconnector "tail" for wear .... after all it has been "years"
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Like changing your oil in your car X number of miles.

For an M16, need to change all the springs out in the lower about every 5k to 6k rounds.

That includes hammer/trigger, disconnector, and the buffer spring.

You shouldn't really need to change the sear spring, but you can if you want.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the replies.  To clarify, the first problems were shorter and short bursts, but now its become a bolt action in full auto.  Technically not full action because it does eject the spent round and chambers a new one, but longer fires and the trigger doesn't move, thus when I pull the charging handle a loaded round emerges.

I have tried swapping two other complete fullauto carriers/bolt/pin with no change.  Have no tried swapping complete upper half.

I'll give the area mentioned another inspection then proceed to investigate the springs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Couple more thoughts.

Does the fact that it functions perfectly in semi but not in full help diagnose this?  Makes me look to the auto-sear.

I have a couple lower parts kits (semi of course).  I've built several semi lowers, but never touch a full.  Any pitfalls I should watch out for?  Any springs that will be different?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I would just pick up a new fcg and springs and see if that fixes the problem.  They install just like every other AR fcg.

FA FCG
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Any updates on this?

My SP1 RR was approved last week..waiting on stamp
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not the OP, and I don't have any more info to give than what was offered above:

Change the FCG springs, and if necessary, the FCG parts as well.

After all, you don't know if the previous owner(s) never "changed a thing" on it for years

That's what I plan to do when my Olympic Arms/PAWS RR transfers to me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's functioning in semi, you know you have serviceable springs in the FCG, a functional disconnector, and good sear surfaces on your hammer and trigger.

FCG springs won't affect "timing".....the auto sear either catches the hammer and releases it when the carrier trips it, or it doesn't....

I'm guessing bolt bounce due to a weak recoil spring, or maybe something went wonky with your buffer......

With it empty, set to auto, pull the trigger, and slowly cycle to verify the auto sear is releasing the hammer when it should.....(check your timing).....if it's on, pull the recoil spring/buffer, and drop 3-4 quarters down the buffer tube....then return spring/buffer, and give it a try with ammo.....

If that fixes it, get a new recoil spring and make sure you have a proper weight buffer...
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For an M16, need to change all the springs out in the lower about every 5k to 6k rounds.
View Quote
your kidding right?

maybe every 20K
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you figure it out yet?  Where is the hammer?  When you shoot it on full-auto, and it fails, flip the upper open and see if the hammer is locked back, or if it followed the the carrier back.  If it's extracting and chambering, it's unlikely it's in the upper.

I am leaning towards something in the lower, as stated earlier, change all the springs.  If that doesn't work, I would look at the sear, hammer, and trigger.  If it works in semi, chances are it's either a worn sear or the sear catch on the hammer is worn.

Jason
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did you figure it out yet?  Where is the hammer?  When you shoot it on full-auto, and it fails, flip the upper open and see if the hammer is locked back, or if it followed the the carrier back.  If it's extracting and chambering, it's unlikely it's in the upper.

I am leaning towards something in the lower, as stated earlier, change all the springs.  If that doesn't work, I would look at the sear, hammer, and trigger.  If it works in semi, chances are it's either a worn sear or the sear catch on the hammer is worn.

Jason
View Quote
This is the question you need to answer.  I have seen bunches of different problems.  I had a dd big hole upper that sat a little loose and it would tilt up enough that the sear would not trip and the hammer would be back with the sear holding the back of it.  That problem went away with that upper, but it did not happen to where I noticed it when I first used that upper.  If the hammer is down on a loaded chamber you either have bolt bounce or a timing issue with the sear is releasing too soon.  A new buffer spring may help with bolt bounce assuming it ran fine with the upper before.  Google timing a drop in auto sear and check the timing using allen keys or such. If it is timing the safety or sear may need tweaking replacing.  I know you don't have a dias but it is easy to confirm the sear is tripping at the correct position and to take that off the list of possible causes. Any conversion could have tolerance issues that  causes some parts not to work or stop working with wear. The diagnosis all starts with where the hammer is.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#15]
“Beta dumps”, you say? I’m betting that the issue is with the upper, specifically the gas port in the barrel. It’s probably a bit toasted...

After thousands of rounds of use and (especially) abuse, the AR gas port becomes flame-cut, eroded, and in effect “larger”. This problem is more pronounced when the gas port is closer to the chamber, making “carbine” gas systems more susceptible to this issue than “rifle” gas systems. A larger than ideal gas port on an AR will manifest itself as good ol’ “bolt bounce”, which is almost certainly what the problem is with the OP’s rifle.

An easy way to check this is to swap in a heavier buffer. An SP1 would’ve originally had a standard carbine buffer, which is marginal for full auto at best. Try swapping the carbine buffer with an “H” buffer or even an “H2” buffer, and I’ll bet the problem “goes away”, at least until the gas port erodes a lot more. Then you can keep putting in progressively heavier buffers, install an adjustable gas block, or fix the problem by replacing the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had a dd big hole upper that sat a little loose and it would tilt up enough that the sear would not trip and the hammer would be back with the sear holding the back of it.  That problem went away with that upper, but it did not happen to where I noticed it when I first used that upper.
View Quote
I experienced the same problem with a large hole Daniel Defense upper. The holes had elongated enough to cause the malfunction, DD replaced the upper even though I was the second owner.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a stripped big hole DD upper that I'll build out eventually...using small hole with adapters for now. I bought like 5 in case some work better than others...

Hope you get this sorted out! throw a SSF into it anyway
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top