Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2020 2:59:47 AM EDT
Good Morning fellow M16 owners...

Back in 2009 I bought a M16-marked Colt 614.  Shot it one time, put it in the safe and it sat until yesterday when I went out to the range to zero it.  Once I was done I realized I have a 40+ year old gun, with all original internals and zero spares.

Do any of you have a recommended place that is a go-to for complete M16 lower parts kits?  I don’t have a concept of what a reasonable price is either.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 3:17:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say Doublestar / J&T Distributing, but they seem to be sold out everywhere.
About $70.

You could just buy a new set of springs.
Probably you don't need anything unless something breaks, or it fails to fire from a weak spring, which may never happen depending on how often you fire it. I've got Vietnam-era M16s at the office still using their original FCG and springs and they work great.

I really like the Geissele SSF if you're looking to upgrade.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Shark Arms has FCG for ~$80

Specialized Armament for parts
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Brownells usually has Colt parts as well
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to grab an SSF soon. I'll throw the originals in a drawer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Any Colt or GI trigger group should last your lifetime+. Today there are many aftermarket TG parts of good quality, this wasn't always the case. The only parts I have found that do wear out are gas rings and extractor springs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah and you could maybe backorder at Brownells since you’re not in immediate need.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I really like the Geissele SSF if you're looking to upgrade.
View Quote
+1...you can sometimes find people selling them here on the EE.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a geissele SSF and Colt sear. Parts that came with the gun got cleaned lubed and stored incase I sell it or need a spare.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't you dare put anything but Colt parts in that beauty. I'll report you to the Colt police!  Its a mortal sin!

Seriously though you will love a SSF in her and get with SAW to get any replacement Colt parts Brownells dosent have in stock.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 2:06:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Found an LPK on M-16parts.com, supposedly OEM.   That’ll do for peace of mind until folks start getting stuff back in stock again.  Thanks all for the posts.  I don’t imagine a failure, but I’d hate to have a part fail and be unable to replace it, especially now that I’m actually shooting this thing.

I believe in redundancy...like quadruple redundancy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#11]
You might consider a spare bolt as well. I have broken one in half and know of another shooter that has as well. Couldn't hurt to have a spare extractor or 2 in your spares kit also.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might consider a spare bolt as well. I have broken one in half and know of another shooter that has as well. Couldn't hurt to have a spare extractor or 2 in your spares kit also.
View Quote

I broke a bolt in half too.  

Many of the M16 parts kits that were imported came with original Colt fire control parts.  Some of those are sold via GB.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know where I can find a SSF that's in stock?
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Definitely go SSF and put your original FCG away in storage. Then concentrate on uppers, barrels, bolt groups, gas rings, firing pin retaining pins, action springs, and other wear/replacement parts.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top