Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2018 10:35:55 PM EDT
So I'm wanting to buy a modern chassis for my M14, but not sure which one to go with. I'm leaning towards the sage, my only question with it is if the model for standard profile barrels will work with medium contour barrels? But I dont want to spend 800 bucks to find out there are better options. Weights not a big issue since I'm not gonna be doing any real work with it, but accuracy is. What's the hive suggest?
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Glass bed it yourself, it's  not hard to do.
Learn how to do it and give it a try.

My groups  went from 3-4 inches at 100 yds down to 5/8th inches with a  G.I. stock.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#2]
If the Sage EBR chassis is made for medium profile barrels (which at this point, I think all of them are), then yes it will also accept a standard GI-profile barrel. They are heavy, but generally tighten the groups as much as bedding would. They do not require periodic maintenance to maintain their accuracy, unlike bedding. Most shooters don't fire enough rounds to wear out a good traditional bedding job though. Think 20 years or more for a casual user.

The Blackfeather chassis is said to have the same effect on precision, but weighs much less. They are not as strong, but this is likely only a concern for combat applications. I do not own one. I went with a Sage before these were widely available.
http://www.m14.ca/m14m1a-blackfeather-rs.html
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I went J Allen Enterprises for my full length.  Awesome, but pricey as hell!
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I had the money for a JAE, but that's more than the rifle with a EBR stock. I've glass bed bolt guns before, but I'm wanting to move away from the classic stock. Just not a fan of it on a m14 with optics.
Does anyone know what stock, or adapters come with the blackfeather? Couldn't tell if it came with just to ace stock, or a few adapters and you buy the stock separately.
I really like the low weight and smoother lines of the blackfeather, but I'll need to do more research. Looks like it still uses the barrel band, so I'm not sure if draw pressure will still be a factor with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#5]
All chassis systems should help accuracy, its why the military went with the SAGE system.
If you have a standard or medium weight barrel the SAGE chassis will work but there are other options available.

Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish I had the money for a JAE, but that's more than the rifle with a EBR stock. I've glass bed bolt guns before, but I'm wanting to move away from the classic stock. Just not a fan of it on a m14 with optics.
Does anyone know what stock, or adapters come with the blackfeather? Couldn't tell if it came with just to ace stock, or a few adapters and you buy the stock separately.
I really like the low weight and smoother lines of the blackfeather, but I'll need to do more research. Looks like it still uses the barrel band, so I'm not sure if draw pressure will still be a factor with it.
View Quote
In the U.S., the Blackfeather comes with the two adapters: one for an AR tube and pistol grip, and one for the Magpul Mossberg stock. The rest of the pieces sold separately. One thing that's interesting is that the Bf stock either totally free-floats the barrel or secures it to the stock with the new oprod guide, either way you want it. Accuracy is impressive. I shot a few last week and ordered mine a few days ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top