Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2022 2:06:56 AM EDT
Who does a good job with a top quality barrel in a rational amount of time?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quality, price, time - pick 2

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Garand? Finding a barrel will be the hard thing right now IMO. I would try Orion 7, they list a package at $600 that might fit your needs

https://www.m1garand.com/shop-services/

I've never used them myself.

I have used Fulton Armory to rebarrel M1 Carbines and been very happy, but they are severely backlogged right now. Looks like 5 months there for Garands.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Services.aspx

Looks like they have barrels in stock and looking like $500ish with return shipping

If you can find a local smith who could do it that might be faster.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on how close you are to me lol..
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't really understand why, but I have a tremendous reluctance to ship my rifle off to a company for six months or a year awaiting a rebarreling.

If I bought & rented the tools, it might cost more but it would get done right away.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's too bad, we're in different countries. We could get your rifle barreled in less than 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't really understand why, but I have a tremendous reluctance to ship my rifle off to a company for six months or a year awaiting a rebarreling.

If I bought & rented the tools, it might cost more but it would get done right away.
View Quote

Why isn’t the correct answer to send your M1 to Tim @ Shuff’s Parkerizing for a quick turn-around?

He built my .308 Mini-G and had it back to me in 90-days.

A simple re-barreling job, assuming you also send him a new barrel to install with the rifle, could be done in 30-days. That includes finish-reaming and cleaning up the chamber, if it needs it.  

Now that’s just for the re-barreling work … If Tim’s got to chase down a new barrel for you, and none are source-able due to backlogs, lack of inventory, and/or supply-chain issues, then you’ll have to wait for as long as it takes for him (or you) to find one. But that’s not on him. He’s not a barrel-maker.

Shuff’s Parkerizing: 517-896-0523.

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Try reaching out to John Thomas at retro arms works. He does museum quality work at reasonable prices with a quick turnaround time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Where are you located?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for Tim Shufflin-- the BM59 Master
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

… If Tim’s got to chase down a new barrel for you, and none are source-able due to backlogs, lack of inventory, and/or supply-chain issues, then you’ll have to wait for as long as it takes for him (or you) to find one. But that’s not on him. He’s not a barrel-maker.
View Quote

Lots of good pointers, guys.  Thanks for the help.

Are M1 barrels in short supply?  Who has them for sale?  From their web site info, I could not tell if Krieger had them available or not.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#12]
What are you looking for?

I have some new criterion 308s in stock. And some lightly used USGI 30-06 ones.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are M1 barrels in short supply?  Who has them for sale?  From their web site info, I could not tell if Krieger had them available or not.
View Quote

I just bought a new 3006 criterion barrel on Ebay a few weeks ago $315 shipped. That was the only place I could find them. My Springfield is essentially a musket at this point it will swallow a 30cal bullet at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just bought a new 3006 criterion barrel on Ebay a few weeks ago $315 shipped. That was the only place I could find them. My Springfield is essentially a musket at this point it will swallow a 30cal bullet at the muzzle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great snag!  -  even at $315. Criterion M1 barrels are inherently very accurate. All they need is to be installed competently by someone who’s experienced and thus knows what they’re doing. Why I recommended Tim @ Shuff’s Parkerizing, but there are other M1-knowledgeable ‘smiths out there who could do it too.

If the OP has access to any current copies of the GCA Journal, the Classifieds in the back under “Services” frequently have ads by ‘smiths who can do barrel work.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Orion 7 does good, fast work. Email em for a quote.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Great snag!  -  even at $315. Criterion M1 barrels are inherently very accurate. All they need is to be installed competently by someone who’s experienced and thus knows what they’re doing. Why I recommended Tim @ Shuff’s Parkerizing, but there are other M1-knowledgeable ‘smiths out there who could do it too.

If the OP has access to any current copies of the GCA Journal, the Classifieds in the back under “Services” frequently have ads by ‘smiths who can do barrel work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya I plan to send it off to Tim. The rifle is a blue sky and is in desperate need of a complete refinish. I saw on his website he was limited/ out of barrels that's why I went ahead and purchased the one I did.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-gunsmithing/

Not sure about the wait time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I had my Fulton M14 receiver barreled at Accuracy Speaks in Mesa, AZ. At least one of the guys used to be a High Power shooter, and they did a brilliant job on mine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Adco did mine. Great job, with a 1-day turnaround a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]
If you provide the barrel Orion 7 did it in 8 days.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I usually do it in 2 days depending on how much I have backed up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was from shipping to them and back USPS and UPS back.  Price included shipping too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can vouch that Jeremy2171 is quick with his turnaround, depending mainly on what needs doing.  Top notch work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I may have to get Jeremy to rebarrel mine. I hesitate to do it, but I have tons of 308 and like 200 'o6. Can't even shoot it much before I run out and last I checked 06 is over a buck a round. I can save the 06 for my o3A3 that I rarely shoot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I may have to get Jeremy to rebarrel mine. I hesitate to do it, but I have tons of 308 and like 200 'o6. Can't even shoot it much before I run out and last I checked 06 is over a buck a round. I can save the 06 for my o3A3 that I rarely shoot.
View Quote
Jeremy rechambered one for me already, and I'm about to send him a second, hopefully tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd just like to take advantage of the 308 ammo I have. Considered sending it to Shuff, he's done stuff for me before and very fast turn around, but I'm hesitating on modifying my last M1....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top