Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 9:50:38 AM EDT
A friend offered me one for 1K......... is it worth it? Has CMP paperwork that came with the gun....... don’t have the money at the present but was offered to let me pay over time....... good deal?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Grab it, NOW.

Do you have any kids you can sell?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grab it, NOW.

Do you have any kids you can sell?
View Quote
No kids, but he will hold it for me and is sending pics..... it’s mine if I want it, and I am going to look it over, but he got it from CMP and has the paperwork
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#4]
A few years back, I snagged a Navy Trophy for a grand, probably one of the best buys in Garands I have ever made, you have to opportunity to get a great buy to, don't drop the ball on it.

Just a decent run of the mill Garand is between 8 and 9 hundred now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A few years back, I snagged a Navy Trophy for a grand, probably one of the best buys in Garands I have ever made, you have to opportunity to get a great buy to, don't drop the ball on it.

View Quote
I think so....... I helped the guy out and he needs money for Christmas, so I am going to FO.......and he is letting me pay over time, so it’s even better....... the stock was refinished at one time, but it’s a genuine NM in .30-06, so I figured I better jump now........ it will be mine this weekend
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think so....... I helped the guy out and he needs money for Christmas, so I am going to FO.......and he is letting me pay over time, so it’s even better....... the stock was refinished at one time, but it’s a genuine NM in .30-06, so I figured I better jump now........ it will be mine this weekend
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Excellent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent.
Yep...... really excited to get it........ it’s a nice looking gun, and the NM sights and finish are nice
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#8]
no find a few boxes of M72 to put thru it!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Pics when you get it!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, after speaking to the guy, and looking at some pics, I am not sure its a National Match...............the op rod handle has "NM" but it's not marked anywhere else on the outside-on the barrel or side of the rear sight. The right rear sight has the lock bar, and the barrel has( at least the seller states it says) "vrb or brb Remington" on it...............the gun is in very good shape, and is probably still worth 1K, but he states he has the CMP papers, and the Serial number is in the 3 million range.............not knowing much about these guns, I am not sure what it is, but I am going to inspect it tomorrow

I know the 61 NM rifles had NM on the op rod handle.................the guy doesn't know anything else about it, so off we go to look at it
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:53:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah.... It wasn't uncommon to use the NM op rods during later rebuilds of gi spec rifles.  So it very well might not be a true NM rifle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah.... It wasn't uncommon to use the NM op rods during later rebuilds of gi spec rifles.  So it very well might not be a true NM rifle.
View Quote
Based on what I could find on the interwebs, it isn’t an NM rifle...... and for 1K I passed
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the barrel has( at least the seller states it says) "vrb or brb Remington" on it...............
View Quote
A Remington barrel?  Did Remington ever make Garand barrels?

ETA just saw your new post.  Good pass IMHO...
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Based on what I could find on the interwebs, it isn’t an NM rifle...... and for 1K I passed
View Quote
Good pass... If it was a legitimate NM rifle it's worth a grand. Anything less, which it sounds like this one is, isn't. If you want a Garand, go thru the CMP. Everyone and everywhere else will gouge you.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good pass... If it was a legitimate NM rifle it's worth a grand. Anything less, which it sounds like this one is, isn't. If you want a Garand, go thru the CMP. Everyone and everywhere else will gouge you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luckily for me, I snagged a nice Springfield 44 in 1990 for a very good price...... I thought this time I had found one of those deals everyone but me finds...... glad I passed
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Everyone and everywhere else will gouge you.
View Quote
If you had a Garand that you bought from CMP many years ago for $500 and it would sell it for $500? , would you sell it for $750? You like anyone would sell it for what the going rate is
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Humble brag thread. Nice score sure it will be a shooter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you had a Garand that you bought from CMP many years ago for $500 and it would sell it for $500? , would you sell it for $750? You like anyone would sell it for what the going rate is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone and everywhere else will gouge you.
I didn't take it as him talking about that, I think he's talking about passing off a sketchy rifle as a NM, cartouche fakery, "I had no idea that was a reweld," "It's my (family member's) issued weapon he brought back from the war," passing off corrected rifles as ALL ORIGINAL FROM THE FACTORY LOOK!! etc.

not to put words in your mouth Gerry

But if I were to buy a CMP rifle in person from an individual I'd expect to pay $50-150-ish more than the current going CMP rate for the privilege of a) seeing before getting it, b) having it that day, and c) not having to find my birth certificate and a notary.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#20]
There are lots of features to look for in a true NM rifle- NM marked sights barrel op rod unitized front hand guard national match front sight oversized bedded stock often will have SN of rifle electric penciled in side trigger group and more I have probably forgotten.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But if I were to buy a CMP rifle in person from an individual I'd expect to pay $50-150-ish more than the current going CMP rate for the privilege of a) seeing before getting it, b) having it that day, and c) not having to find my birth certificate and a notary.
View Quote
good luck with that
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#22]
OP there's plenty of well documented info on the web, search, read, read, and read some more. I got my CMP M1 service grade last year for $720 I think it was, it's all H&R parts minus the receiver which I think was a Springfield. I'd have to look to be sure. Look at how to tell the difference, if it's a mixed back of parts then I wouldn't give more for it than the current price of the equivalent grade you think it is.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
good luck with that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good luck with that
Well, point taken.  Would be better said that I'd be *willing* to pay that much more.

But then again, I have dug out my birth certificate, gotten a notary, and crossed my fingers already...and been rewarded for doing so.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's not what I meant. Of course prices will rise to an extent... But outside of the CMP Garand’s are heavily overpriced. They’re not rare and at least down here in TX I can walk into a gun store and literally see a wall of Garand’s all priced at $1200+. They don’t move very fast. I get 1903’s and 1917’s running high prices as they’re pretty much out of circulation. But Garand’s are still trickling out on a regular basis... The market is mostly a manufactured value. People, using family members or friends, buy a bunch of rifles for what is a reasonable price, then turn around and sell them for $1000+. The people that don’t go thru the CMP don’t know any better and those that do aren’t gonna say anything that negativity impacts the value of their rifles.

It's a niche market, but eventually you run out of suckers.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Well the lock bar sights are worth a few extra bucks assuming they’re not buggared.

I doubt it’s a NM rifle with lock bars though.  Well unless it was a NM at one time and rebuilt as a rack rifle.  An army build would have pulled the lock bars off.

Likely just a parts gun or perhaps a civi built “match” rifle.

ETA at least in the late years cmp wrote exactly which garand was on the certificate and receipt.   If it doesn’t say NM there it’s a service, field or rack grade.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#26]
National match rifles are stamped NM on the receiver back where the sn is.
All of the Garand rifles that I have seen recently at gun shows were priced at a grand or more, especially if they were Winchesters.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Good pass, OP. With a 3 mil serial, it's just a regular service-type M1 with a NM Op rod from a rebuild. Could the barrel marking be VAR (i.e. Danish)? It kinda fits with the lockbar sights.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
National match rifles are stamped NM on the receiver back where the sn is.
All of the Garand rifles that I have seen recently at gun shows were priced at a grand or more, especially if they were Winchesters.
View Quote
A USGI National Match M1 is not marked that way.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is what a documented Type II National Match Garand looks like. Its one I picked up earlier this year

Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good pass, OP. With a 3 mil serial, it's just a regular service-type M1 with a NM Op rod from a rebuild. Could the barrel marking be VAR (i.e. Danish)? It kinda fits with the lockbar sights.
View Quote
I didn't find out..............another co-worker bought it for a little less (900) bucks and was happy with it. Its a nice looking rifle from the pics, but I decided to pass when it wasn't quite what it was advertised as..............and I already have a nice 44 Springfield

If I ever do find a nice NM Garand I am going to get it
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Before shelling out any cash for a NM Garand you need to do research. There are two types, Type I and Type II . These are also easy to fake , I would not buy a NM rifle without documentation.
The example posted above is a $4000 rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top