Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2018 5:40:54 PM EDT
I picked this M1 Garand up today at a local gun store, must have just come in because the guy hadn’t even put a price on it yet.

Every marking I can find on the gun is Springfield. The serial number puts it at around 1955-1957, so I’m assuming the 4-55 marking on the barrel means it is original to the gun.

I’m hoping someone with more knowledge of these could give me a better idea of what I’m looking at. From what I can tell, the gun looks to have been shot very little, if at all.

M1 Garand Pictures
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow..that looks damn near new.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks pretty damn good, almost unused!  The heel of the stock seems a bit rounded. They may have used a re-do stock.

I'd say remove some of that oil/grease. It's bleeding into the stock!!

You found a nice one. What did it cost you?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks pretty damn good, almost unused!  The heel of the stock seems a bit rounded. They may have used a re-do stock.

I'd say remove some of that oil/grease. It's bleeding into the stock!!

You found a nice one. What did it cost you?
View Quote
He was asking $850. I couldn’t pass it up, being as I just paid $730 earlier this year for a mix matched Springfield from the CMP.

Any idea what this one might be worth?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Crispy!  With metal/wood that clean, I doubt anything on it has been swapped.

Great rifle!  Virtually zero mileage.  That would be a service grade if you got lucky going through a LOT of rifles at one of the CMP stores--like 10 years ago that is.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that a CMP case?  My Springfield special is nicer than that, so it is a slightly lesser grade, is what I am trying to say. Rack or Field grade?

Just spit balling.   All I know is that I own one. Sounds like you made a decent deal.  Get that sumbitch out and shoot it!

Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a CMP case, but it’s one I had from my other gun. This gun didn’t come with a case.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesomeness, you bought awesomeness.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Prob a cmp Greek return from a couple yrs ago.

Much better SG  than what they are into right now.

$850 is verygood price, would easily sell $1k+ around here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He was asking $850. I couldn’t pass it up, being as I just paid $730 earlier this year for a mix matched Springfield from the CMP.

Any idea what this one might be worth?
View Quote
It's definitely worth more than you paid. The lug on the trigger group has no wear and the Gas cylinder lock screw is pristine, no wear on the bolt or follower.

That rings of little or no use

A late Springfield has been on my wish list for some time.

Value is in the eye of the beholder...but $1000-1500
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Me like.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Me like.
View Quote
I’ve seen the beautiful Garands you have, so a compliment from you means a lot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’ve seen the beautiful Garands you have, so a compliment from you means a lot.
View Quote
It looks original and I love the unfired look in cosmoline.  If I had that rifle, I would be tempted not to shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It looks original and I love the unfired look in cosmoline.  If I had that rifle, I would be tempted not to shoot it.
View Quote
I have another Springfield that is a mixture of IHC and HRA parts as a shooter. I’m kind of thinking I should wipe off enough oil and cosmoline that it doesn’t leech into the stock and leave it as is.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 1:17:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have another Springfield that is a mixture of IHC and HRA parts as a shooter. I’m kind of thinking I should wipe off enough oil and cosmoline that it doesn’t leech into the stock and leave it as is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm the wrong guy to talk to because I can't get enough Garands.  If I had that matching Springfield, I would still be looking for more.

That rifle is time capsule.

It might be a good idea to gently clean the stock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm the wrong guy to talk to because I can't get enough Garands.  If I had that matching Springfield, I would still be looking for more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But don't over-do it, and gawd forbid DO NOT sand and re-stain it.  First, you'll kill any inherent collector value, and second, it'll look 5x worse than if you'd just left it alone.

Sanding/re-staining these Old School mil-issue wood stocks adds ZERO esthetics to their look.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But don't over-do it, and gawd forbid DO NOT sand and re-stain it.  First, you'll kill any inherent collector value, and second, it'll look 5x worse than if you'd just left it alone.

Sanding/re-staining these Old School mil-issue wood stocks adds ZERO esthetics to their look.
View Quote
You're right.

I meant that he should use a very light amount of mild detergent or soap to remove some of the grease on the stock.

Then apply a little tung oil and leave it alone
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#18]
It's beautiful!

I agree with a light washing of the stock and leaving it at that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is that a CMP case?  My Springfield special is nicer than that, so it is a slightly lesser grade, is what I am trying to say. Rack or Field grade?

Just spit balling.   All I know is that I own one. Sounds like you made a decent deal.  Get that sumbitch out and shoot it!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41996/Springfield-Garand-260007.jpg
View Quote
his is original,

yours is new build from new and old parts refinished,

there is a difference,   and depending on how you like your Garands, his is better,

and likely Service or better not rack or field, if it was a CMP Gun
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's definitely worth more than you paid. The lug on the trigger group has no wear and the Gas cylinder lock screw is pristine, no wear on the bolt or follower.

That rings of little or no use

A late Springfield has been on my wish list for some time.

Value is in the eye of the beholder...but $1000-1500
View Quote
I sold a handful of mixmaster refinished (would have graded Service if CMP) for $1100 at the Hampton show a few months ago,

I would lean towards $1200+ if all the parts are SA, and dated correctly maybe a bit more
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're right.

I meant that he should use a very light amount of mild detergent or soap to remove some of the grease on the stock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.

I definitely was planning on only a light cleaning. I just wanted to prevent the oil from seeping into the stock. Is there any particular brand of tung oil you would recommend?

ETA: I’ve also heard of using linseed oil, so I wasn’t sure which one is preferred to keep the finish of the stock as original as possible?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#22]
The US military used both linseed and tung oil.

Linseed oil takes a devil of a time to dry whereas tung oil dries quickly.  Linseed oil can become gummy.

But all tung oil is not the same. Some of the so called tung oil contains other ingredients such as urethane.

This is what I use.  It has some teak oil in it.

I got this finish with it. (Rifle in the middle)

But only use a slight amout of tung oil.  Just a light wipe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The US military used both linseed and tung oil.

Linseed oil takes a devil of a time to dry whereas tung oil dries quickly.  Linseed oil can become gummy.

But all tung oil is not the same. Some of the so called tung oil contains other ingredients.

This is what I use:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20180901_103920-657812.jpg
View Quote
I buy mine from The Real Milk Paint Company. Excellent stuff.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#24]
You have a very nice Garand , from the parts shown they are correct for the serial as well as the stock.
If it were me I would send a request to CMP along with $25 . They in return will send you a letter stating if they sold it and if they did what grade it was sold as
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Clean it very well, inside and out. Buy a guide so your cleaning rod doesn't touch the muzzle.

You have one of the last models made. Every known upgrade that was ever made was incorporated into your rifle. It should be a solid reliable rifle that will serve you and your heirs well.

46.0 grains of H4895 or IMR-4895 w/168 grain Sierra Match King's will function 100% and shoot good groups on target.

Buy a decent National Match style leather sling.

Some people want WWII era rifles for historical reasons, I think yours is the one I'd want if I could only own one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I appreciate everyone’s input. My understanding of cleaning the stock is that if I apply some pure Tung Oil with cheese cloth, that it will act as a mild cleaner? I’m afraid to get any more invasive than that, as I do not want to remove any of the patina, just the dirt and grime that has collected over the years

Also my mixmaster WW2 Springfield has a new CMP stock. I would it be a good idea to give it the same Tung Oil treatment? The wood on it just looks very dry compared to this one. I’ve included a few pics of that one in case anyone is interested.

WW2 Springfield
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I appreciate everyone’s input. My understanding of cleaning the stock is that if I apply some pure Tung Oil with cheese cloth, that it will act as a mild cleaner? I’m afraid to get any more invasive than that, as I do not want to remove any of the patina, just the dirt and grime that has collected over the years

Also my mixmaster WW2 Springfield has a new CMP stock. I would it be a good idea to give it the same Tung Oil treatment? The wood on it just looks very dry compared to this one. I’ve included a few pics of that one in case anyone is interested.

WW2 Springfield
View Quote
A slight spritz of Murphy's wood soap won't hurt anything. Just a light spritz and wipe it down with a clean rag.

Just avoid anything abrasive or any harsh chemicals.  I knew a guy who would bleach his stocks with oven cleaner!

As long as you use a gentle cleaner, you will be fine.

If you try the tung oil first, you won't hurt anything.  Someone mentioned tung oil from the Real Milk Paint Company and their tung oil looks great.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A slight spritz of Murphy's wood soap won't hurt anything. Just a light spritz and wipe it down with a clean rag.

Just avoid anything abrasive or any harsh chemicals.  I knew a guy who would bleach his stocks with oven cleaner!

As long as you use a gentle cleaner, you will be fine.

If you try the tung oil first, you won't hurt anything.  Someone mentioned tung oil from the Real Milk Paint Company and their tung oil looks great.
View Quote
I’ll do the murphy’s wood soap first then. And yes I agree, I looked up their Tung Oil after he mentioned it, and it looks like they offer high quality products.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Great looking rifle
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#30]
sweet rifle!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41996/Springfield-Garand-260007.jpg
View Quote
His appears to be correct grade and if so it's more than just a decent deal. Yours may look nicer to you
but I'd rather have his
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top