Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2022 4:21:21 PM EDT
My good friend recently acquired a M1 in an estate sale and he’s trying to research info about it.  Was hoping we might find out more here.

I have a couple of videos showing the condition of the overall rifle but they were in the wrong format for Imgur.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Additional photos here.

Video link

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it was made in May of '43 according to this site Garand SN's Could have been overhauled due to the missing lock-bar rear sight. Any date on the barrel?

ETA: There's drawing numbers on most of the major parts that you'll have to look up individually to see what you really have. Any markings on the stock?

2nd ETA: This book will tell you a good bit about the drawing numbers on most of the parts, and when they were made.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The receiver looks like it was made in May of 1943.

Attachment Attached File

The image is a list of what it may have consisted of when brand new. The image is of/from Scott Duff's booklet 'The M1 Garand Serial Numbers & Data Sheets'.

I'm really out of touch with any Garand info anymore but the finish on the bolt and elevation knob remind me of what I've seen on the IHC rifles.

Post more images if you can. Especially of the info on the barrel under the operating rod.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The bolt is a Springfield Armory bolt from 1944.

You should check with a .30-06 field gauge to make sure that you have safe headspace
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good, op.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some video to convert that shows overall condition but I’ll get with my friend to see if he can answer some of the questions.  Appreciate the wisdom!
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Added more photos and a video link that I hope works.  Sorry it took so long for me to get these loaded.  Appreciate all the contributions!
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That gas cylinder screw is interesting.
View Quote

LOL no kidding.  I'd pull that off and ditch it ASAFP.  Get a USGI cylinder screw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top