Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2022 5:26:13 PM EDT

Well I am doing a bit of reevaluating things and realized I have a M1 Garand which I never have shot.

It's gathering dust and looks to be in great shape with a leather sling.

What is the history on a rifle like this?

Is it worth anything? What's the best way to list or sell it?

the receiver:

US Rifle
CAL. 30 M1
SPRINGFIELD
ARMORY
2XXXXXX

It's a pretty rifle and those guys that carried this thing were men.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
gonna need pics for any real eval. The serial number only tells us when the receiver was made.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Where you got it from would tell us something about it also. Is this a CMP gun or one you bought new or one you inherited?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where you got it from would tell us something about it also. Is this a CMP gun or one you bought new or one you inherited?
View Quote

I'll see about pics.

It's not a CMP rifle as the former owner said he bought it "new" in a box in the late 80's or 90's? Said it was a special running or something similar? Sorry for the light information.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Sold my CMP Springfield Feb '44 SN on GB for $1500 a month ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#5]
If you can, field strip it and get the stamped numbers from the barrel and from the front "leg" of the receiver.

Edit: You don't have to field strip it far, just enough to remove the receiver from the stock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe that serial # would put it mid 1940s.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'll see about pics.

It's not a CMP rifle as the former owner said he bought it "new" in a box in the late 80's or 90's? Said it was a special running or something similar? Sorry for the light information.

View Quote

As I see it, there are two possibilities from this information:

You have a CMP special, assuming they made them back then. This is an original Garand receiver with a new barrel and new stock. They are good if you want a shooter, not as good if you want more history in your rifle.
You have a chimera Garand, which was made from welded together pieces of demilled Garand receivers. These could be fine if they were welded correctly and then properly heat treated afterwords. But that would be difficult to verify.

The stamping on the front leg of the receiver can help identify which one it is, as can detailed pictures of the left and right sides of the receiver when it is removed from the stock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#8]
New in the box?  Maybe a Springfield Armory (the commercial Company not the arsenal) in Genesseo Illinois?

They used to make commercial Garands in the 80s and early 90s if I recall correctly - A mix of surplus and new parts like their M1A
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Back in the late 80s or early 90s, I remember seeing advertisements from Springfield Armory Inc.  These advertisements appeared in Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times magazines.

Anyway, back then you could send a Garand to Springfield Armory Inc., and they would rebarrel it and rebuild it for you. The ads were geared towards veterans and they said something about remembering when life was young and hedgerows etc. Also for a very limited time in the early 1980s, SA Inc built a few new Garands using Beretta receivers.

And later SA Inc., build new Garands based on cast receivers that were made in Australia. These cast receiver guns had serial numbers that were in the 7 million range.

You have a genuine World War 2 receiver, so it may be that you have one of the rifles that was rebuilt by SA Inc.

Draw back the operating rod and take a look at the barrel. Tell us about the barrel markings. If you have a vintage USGI barrel it will be marked "SA" and it will be dated.

Can you also take detailed pictures of the following parts:

Rear sight
Bolt
Barrel
Gas cylinder
Gas cylinder lock
Front sight
Stock

Check out this Springfield Armory Inc advertisement from 1985.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, those M1 have really tanked in value, I'll give you $500 sight unseen.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
New in the box?  Maybe a Springfield Armory (the commercial Company not the arsenal) in Genesseo Illinois?
They used to make commercial Garands in the 80s and early 90s if I recall correctly - A mix of surplus and new parts like their M1A
View Quote

The dude could have one of those crappy, forged receiver S.A. Inc. Garands, which were commercial not military M1s. He might get $600.00 for it on a good day. Most weren’t even worth that when new.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#12]
This is fascinating and impressive the wealth of knowledge.

Thursday evening or Friday, i'll see what I can do as far as pictures and more details.

The receiver is listed as exactly this:

U.S. Rifle
CAL. .30 M1
SPRINGFIELD
ARMORY
225XXXXX

What does the "other" Springfield receivers say?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is fascinating and impressive the wealth of knowledge.

Thursday evening or Friday, i'll see what I can do as far as pictures and more details.

The receiver is listed as exactly this:

U.S. Rifle
CAL. .30 M1
SPRINGFIELD
ARMORY
225XXXXX

What does the "other" Springfield receivers say?
View Quote

A cast Springfield Garand receiver will have a serial number in the 7 million range.

A Beretta receiver will be marked "PB" near the drawing number on the right side of the receiver. Some Beretta receivers were made for Beretta by Breda and such a receiver will marked "BMR" on the right side of the receiver near the drawing number.

Here's a Beretta receiver.  The letters are faint, but there's the PB marking above the drawing number.

Here's a Breda-manufactured receiver. The digits at the extreme left are the inspector's number.

I'm not exactly sure how Springfield Armory marked the heels of their Beretta receivers. But you can always pick out an Italian receiver by taking a look at the drawing numbers. You will always find a PB or a BMR marking.

I remember reading an old gun magazine called Shooters Survival Guide and in the article it said that Springfield Amoury Inc was offering new Garands that were built on Beretta receivers. This article appeared around 1983 or 1984.  I'm quite sure that I am remembering this properly.

Here's the cover of SSG from 1981:

Here's the cover of SSG from 1983

I did some research and I read online that Mr Reese of SA visited Beretta around 1990 and that he found 200 unused Garand receivers in the basement of the factory. Although I am sure that Mr Reese did in fact find the receivers, I remember that article so vividly because at the time I really wanted a Beretta made Garand. I'm sure that he found those receivers prior to 1990.

The correct drawing number for your rifle should be D28291-30.  If the drawing number on the right side of your receiver is not D28291-30, then you probably have a receiver that was welded together from demilled stubs.

If your rifle has a correct drawing number, then it may have been rebuilt by Springfield Armory Inc. Take a look at the barrel under the operating rod. If it has a replacement barrel that was installed by SA Inc., you will not find any markings because SA Inc barrels were unmarked.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#14]
The charging handle(?) has “NM” engraved

The top of the bolt has
D28287-05A

C12A

I’ve got a few pics but don’t know how to post them.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The top of the bolt has
D28287-05A

C12A

I’ve got a few pics but don’t know how to post them.

View Quote

Go here. upload, post the link

https://imgur.com/upload

"grab link" - "copy link"

then post
https://imgur.com/a/u4JSoLR
or
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A cast Springfield Garand receiver will have a serial number in the 7 million range.

A Beretta receiver will be marked "PB" near the drawing number on the right side of the receiver. Some Beretta receivers were made for Beretta by Breda and such a receiver will marked "BMR" on the right side of the receiver near the drawing number.

Here's a Beretta receiver.  The letters are faint, but there's the PB marking above the drawing number.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20220518_120558-2388355.jpg

Here's a Breda-manufactured receiver. The digits at the extreme left are the inspector's number.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20220518_120440-2388358.jpg

I'm not exactly sure how Springfield Armory marked the heels of their Beretta receivers. But you can always pick out an Italian receiver by taking a look at the drawing numbers. You will always find a PB or a BMR marking.

I remember reading an old gun magazine called Shooters Survival Guide and in the article it said that Springfield Amoury Inc was offering new Garands that were built on Beretta receivers. This article appeared around 1983 or 1984.  I'm quite sure that I am remembering this properly.

Here's the cover of SSG from 1981:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/ASG-1502-ASG-History-03-756x1024-2388381.jpg

Here's the cover of SSG from 1983

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/ASG-1502-ASG-History-04-751x1024-2388383.jpg

I did some research and I read online that Mr Reese of SA visited Beretta around 1990 and that he found 200 unused Garand receivers in the basement of the factory. Although I am sure that Mr Reese did in fact find the receivers, I remember that article so vividly because at the time I really wanted a Beretta made Garand. I'm sure that he found those receivers prior to 1990.

The correct drawing number for your rifle should be D28291-30.  If the drawing number on the right side of your receiver is not D28291-30, then you probably have a receiver that was welded together from demilled stubs.

If your rifle has a correct drawing number, then it may have been rebuilt by Springfield Armory Inc. Take a look at the barrel under the operating rod. If it has a replacement barrel that was installed by SA Inc., you will not find any markings because SA Inc barrels were unmarked.
View Quote

Great info, I remember those Magazines.  Funny how the early 80s had driven a lot of survival magazines with concerns pulling out of the Carter inflation woes and fear of Russian nuclear war.

The articles within those magazines would be apt reading interest today for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Go here. upload, post the link

https://imgur.com/upload

"grab link" - "copy link"

then post
or
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

The entire unit (handle, rod, and the gas piston) is generally called the operating rod or op rod.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I believe that serial # would put it mid 1940s.
View Quote
If it's an original SA rifle, you're looking at late 1943, early 1944. I have a 3.2M serial that was made in November 1944. In September of 1942, the were only in the 800,000 range. I have one of those too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it's an original SA rifle, you're looking at late 1943, early 1944. I have a 3.2M serial that was made in November 1944. In September of 1942, the were only in the 800,000 range. I have one of those too.
View Quote

Jan-Feb of 1944 to be more specific.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top