Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2018 3:59:00 PM EDT
I have always wanted an M1 Garand, but an M1A might fill that "itch" for one and be a more practical buy.

Turns out my insurance company gives us money back (Visa gift cards) for completing four different "Health Tasks". I read it as giving us $250.00 for all four tasks, when it is instead $250.00 for each one. So I suddenly have $1000.00 in Visa gift cards, and I'm going to spend it on a gun. Add to that family gave me $300.00 in cash for my birthday, and I suddenly have $1300.00 for a gun that I didn't know was coming.

Although have always wanted the Garand, I want a shooter. With $1300 to go towards it, my choices are a CMP Special, a Service Grade with more ammo, or a Service Grade with the remainder going maybe toward an M1 Carbine.

But, I wouldn't mind having an M1A. It seems that GunBroker has some M1A's going for about the same price. Classic Firearms also has BM-59's going for $1300.00.

Would a BM-59 be considered a middle ground between the other two? Sorry, I'm not too knowledgeable about the BM-59 (or anything to be honest).

It will be a few years before I will be able to "get both/all" (two teenagers that will begin driving, etc.).

Just kind of wondering what everyone's opinion would be the best shooter, and the best all around gun out of the three (Garand, M1A, BM-59) considering that I won't be buying another for quite awhile.

Thanks and sorry for the rambling.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I vote Garand Service Grade Special, once you own one you will see why it is the best choice, just my input.

Buy it from CMP, mail order is GTG.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got an excellent Service Grade from CMP. WWII SA 2.4M receiver, SA 1965 barrel (+1 ME and +1 TE) in a new CMP walnut stock. Only $750 delivered. Only downside is 2 month wait from order to receipt, but no biggie overall.

First Garand is best Garand
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's your only one and you want something really nice looking and a shooter, go special.  If you want character go service, my favorites.

If skip the M1A for now and get a garand.  I love my m1A loaded but there's just something about a garand.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If you've always wanted a Garand then get a Garand.
CMP is your best option.

M14 type rifles are more practical, but AR10 and SCAR 17 even more so.

Best value would be the CMP Garand (since it is historical and will appreciate)
or Norinco/Polytech M14S (which will not appreciate as fast). You can replace a few US parts on one and clone a USGI M14 very nicely.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
My vote would be Garand and Carbine.  This despite always wanting an M14 come too.

I have both and wouldn't even beginning to think of trading one or both for the M1A/M14 clone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I chose to get an M1 Special in 308 and it was absolutely the right choice. Less recoil and cheaper ammo than a normal M1, and 100% more PING than the M1A.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a half-dozen Garands (2 of them Specials), 4 Carbines, and 1 M1A. I'm not a collector; all of them are "shooters".
While I really like all of them, and enjoy shooting each one, the distribution speaks for itself.
Get a Special Grade, lots of clips, and as much ammo as you can afford + 10% more.
Start saving for the Carbine. Get your cholesterol checked again, or schedule a colonoscopy: whatever it takes to get some more of those gift cards.
Worry about the M1A later: they'll still be making them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Garand, like others have said they are still making M1A's. If you are close enough to either Anniston,AL or Camp Perry,OH why not go to the CMP store and pick out your rifle from those on the sales rack. This way you get to see and handle what's available instead of letting someone at CMP pick the next one in line for mail a in sales order.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone. I thought to myself if I did buy an M1a/M14 my first thought after buying it would be "I still want a Garand". My first thought after buying a Garand would be "I want to go shoot it".

Debating between Service and Special now. Which I will be kicking back and forth over the next week. Buying a Service Grade with money left over for the Carbine is soooo tempting.

But, if this "Rewards Program" is still in effect next year (and no emergency needing extra funds pops up) it would mean $1000 for a Garand this year, and $1000 for/toward a Carbine next year. Which is even more tempting.

I have a Smith Corona 03a3, that I don't shoot much, but is my only 30-06 rifle. Sold my Remington bolt action .308, and don't have that caliber at all anymore. So I am thinking now about the Special in .308 just to have a different selection of calibers. Of course the flip side to that is caliber commonality with the 03a3.

Are enbloc clips different for .308? If so are they easy to come by?

I'm on vacation this week, and Anniston, AL is 5 hours away. Wife thinks I should go pick it out and can't believe I would even consider paying that much money for something and letting someone else decide what my gun would look like. She has a point honestly.

Thanks again for the input.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a field grade special, because I wanted a shooter also. It's my favorite rifle. A .308 special would be nice that was actually my first choice but the CMP was out of them when I ordered. With a 30/06 garand you have to shoot ammo made for it you can't just grab a box of anything off the shelf at Walmart unless you get an adjustable gas plug. The 308 uses the same enbloc clip. Like you I'm eyeing a bm59 pretty hard myself. Good luck on picking out your garand. One day I'll make it to the south store to get a couple more myself
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Everyone should have a Garand.

That said, for an all around battle rifle / SHTF rifle / shooter, you can't beat the M14. Frankly, I'd get the 19.25" "paratrooper" from JRA/Classic Armory. In the spirit of full disclosure, those rifles did have some issues a couple months ago, but all reports I've seen show them having been worked out. They're some of the best M14s on the market. I have a full length M14 and it is rivaling my M1 as my favorite weapon. Frankly, if it was the "para" model, I think it might beat it.

My advice would be to get a Garand since they are iconic, good shooters, and some of the finest weapons ever made. However roll the extra money (the M1 should only cost you $750 or so from CMP) into a fund for a JRA M14 as soon as possible. You won't regret it.

Some pics for you.

Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice pics. I will eventually get them all I have decided.
M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A/M14, and BM-59. In that order. I got all my paperwork together for the CMP, and was going to mail it in, but wife wants to go on a day trip to "anywhere", so Thursday we are going to Anniston, AL and will see what things along the way or nearby interest her.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice pics. I will eventually get them all I have decided.
M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A/M14, and BM-59. In that order. I got all my paperwork together for the CMP, and was going to mail it in, but wife wants to go on a day trip to "anywhere", so Thursday we are going to Anniston, AL and will see what things along the way or nearby interest her.
View Quote
Awesome! Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a service grade for $730 last year. It's a 1942 with new wood. I love it. Everyone should have one.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Like many others, I have both an M1 Garand Special Service Grand and an M1A.  Both are great to shoot and as the M1A is a derivative of the M1 Garand (essentially an M1 with a detachable mag and slightly different gas system) you'll find them very similar feeling.  You can get a 5rd mag for the M1A giving it a flush mount hold just like the M1 Garand as well.

A Special Service Grade M1 Garand has a new Criterion barrel and a reconditioned GI parts giving you essentially a new rifle that shoots much better groups than a std GI model while a good, gently used M1A will give you the ability to shoot more than 8 rds w/o reloading.  I went through basic training with the M14 so I'm partial to the M1a.

However, I say go with what you want, the M1 Garand.  They are in limited supply and once gone are gone.  The M1A can be a, "the next gun I buy" sort of thing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an M14 and Garands.  The Garand is a better rifle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I probably spent too much, but I sent in all my paperwork to the CMP. We were going to go to Alabama, but things kept coming up to do with my family and hers this 4th of July week (and my vacation).

I did find some nice 308's on CMP marketplace and GunBroker, but finally decided I wanted 30-06 to match the 03a3 (that I already have ammo for).

So I have spent the past few days going back and forth on Service grade and Special. I have looked at pictures and seen what people are getting with the Service Grades and 9 out of 10 looked/sounded/were said to be great. I love the nostalgia of the Garand, but for some reason I want the best functioning Garand possible and having a new stock and a new barrel is what I really wanted. Wife told me to buy what I wanted the first go around so I'm not disappointed if the roll of the dice doesn't go in my favor. So I sent in for a Special (after going to my bank this morning to get the paperwork notarized).

I actually didn't want to wait for mail pick up tomorrow and drove about 8 miles in heavy traffic to drop the envelope at the Post Office around 6:00 CST (silly, I know).

Now I'm sitting here thinking I might want two Garand's (one Special and one Service) first and then get the M1 Carbine later on.

Thanks for all the help. I hope it gets here quick.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
(snip)
Now I'm sitting here thinking I might want two Garand's (one Special and one Service) first and then get the M1 Carbine later on.

View Quote
The first one hasn't even shown up yet and he's already jonesing for the next.
Welcome to the addiction: you can stop any time you want, honest. Ask Fluffy.
(enabling mode on) You'll definitely need at least one Service Grade and one Special. Don't forget spring kits, spare parts, tools, etc.: Garands are out of production, so you need a decent supply of USGI spares. And bayonets: gotta have correct bayonets.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
(enabling mode on) You'll definitely need at least one Service Grade and one Special. Don't forget spring kits, spare parts, tools, etc.: Garands are out of production, so you need a decent supply of USGI spares. And bayonets: gotta have correct bayonets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(snip)

Well, since I couldn't make up my mind, I figure the Arf motto of get both applies. Of course I also want one in .308.

Good point on the spare parts. I should have thought of that very important detail. I did look at bayonets at the CMP E-Store last night.

I wish both of my Grandfathers were still alive to shoot it when it arrives.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Purchase an M1 rifle from the CMP while you can.  I'm competing for the title of The World's Biggest Advocate Of The M14 as it is, but the U.S. RIFLE CAL .30  M1 you buy from the CMP is built to a very high standard from ordnance grade steel and which passed countless QA checks for materials, geometry, and hardness before leaving the factory.

Compare and contrast that with the current crop of M1A rifle where components are fabricated in Taiwan.

SAI has great customer service and I truly believe they give a damn about the customer, but they can't compete with a taxpayer funded procurement contract that spared no expense in manufacturing a very high quality product for the end-user.

Buy the M1 first.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Purchase an M1 rifle from the CMP while you can.  I'm competing for the title of The World's Biggest Advocate Of The M14 as it is, but the U.S. RIFLE CAL .30  M1 you buy from the CMP is built to a very high standard from ordnance grade steel and which passed countless QA checks for materials, geometry, and hardness before leaving the factory.

Compare and contrast that with the current crop of M1A rifle where components are fabricated in Taiwan.

SAI has great customer service and I truly believe they give a damn about the customer, but they can't compete with a taxpayer funded procurement contract that spared no expense in manufacturing a very high quality product for the end-user.

Buy the M1 first.
View Quote
Agree. M1 first, all day everyday. They ain't making anymore of them.

I say that owning two S.A. M1As that were built back when USGI (M14) parts for the critical components were still plentiful.  One is a 1986 Super Match built and tuned by Glen Nelson. The other is a 1990 'standard' M1A housed in the last batch of the E2 birch stocks.

Love 'me both but would skip buying an S.A. product today if I had a shot at getting a CMP Garand, especially at the 'Service-Grade' level. They're still composed of all or mostly serviceable USGI barrels and internal parts.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I really like my M1A Standard in walnut. It’s a 2018 production rifle. Zero issues so far at 200 rounds in, shoots a solid 2.5 MOA with irons when I do my part. My only complaint was the spring guide was bowed and rough from the factory. New Sadlak NM spring guide made a huge difference in magazine lock up and cycling feel.

The only issue with an SAI rifle is some scope mounts may not fit without some work. I just installed an ARMS #18 mount. I had to clearance the mount around the receiver bulge as the receiver was a little over sized and wouldn’t let the mount fully seat. Now it’s perfect. Haven’t shot it yet but will soon. The other issue is some mounts might cause ejection issues. I have USGI bolt guts and a spare ejector spring to trim if I have an issue with ejection.

The Basset mount is a good alternative that works great on almost every receiver. The other thing is if you want to scope your rifle Bula is making some great options now.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]
M1 in 30-06, you'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Nothing feels better in the hands than an M1
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Once I got nearly 90% USGI parts in my M1A, I just love it. However, it is expensive to do that compared to just buying a garand.

I do not like my Garand, and I'll probably get heat for that. I like the historical feel to it, but the M1A feels better in the long run.

If all you have is 1300 bucks, I'd just go with a M1 Garand. But if you're willing to buy a M1A stock and then later on the year buy surplus parts (Fulton Armory still has it and usually at a slight dicount during holidays http://www.fulton-armory.com/usgi-m14-complete-semi-auto-parts-kit.aspx or http://www.fulton-armory.com/usgi-m14-complete-semi-auto-parts-kit-1.aspx) I would go that route as I think you'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more in the future.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Got my CMP Special delivered yesterday. H&R receiver. I haven't even got to take it apart or anything. This weekend is full of obligations too. Stock is dry, so I have some linseed oil (or I can go buy Tung or Danish) I was going to put on it. CMP Forums have all kinds of finishing opinions, so I don't want to start an argument here. I don't want a shiny or glossy finish though.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Congrats! That's a beautiful rifle.

Put some tung oil on the stock and you'll be gtg. Let us know how it shoots!
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#28]
That rifle looks to be in very nice condition.

Linseed oil rubbed into the stock was what was recommended for use in the TMs that were issued at the time.

Is that an original stock, or a new repro?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Its a new production. Might be able to go shoot it this weekend. Going to the lake and my parents land is on the way (just a 10 minute detour). Figured I would tell the wife and kids to go in their place (its unoccupied) and hang out while I fire off a few rounds.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't know they were filling orders that fast. Congratulations.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Got my CMP Special delivered yesterday. H&R receiver. I haven't even got to take it apart or anything. This weekend is full of obligations too. Stock is dry, so I have some linseed oil (or I can go buy Tung or Danish) I was going to put on it. CMP Forums have all kinds of finishing opinions, so I don't want to start an argument here. I don't want a shiny or glossy finish though.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/383867/garand2-606836.JPG
View Quote
Beautiful. IMO the best finish on a Garand stock is a well-aged oil finish. Just a hint of a shine, but obviously not a coating type of finish. The kind of thing that can only be obtained through years of maintenance and handling. Oil your stock, lube the metal in the right places and that finish will eventually come if that's what you like.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Its a new production. Might be able to go shoot it this weekend. Going to the lake and my parents land is on the way (just a 10 minute detour). Figured I would tell the wife and kids to go in their place (its unoccupied) and hang out while I fire off a few rounds.
View Quote
Use B.L.O on the stock. Let it dry for a while. Might take several coats though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow, that was fast. Less than two weeks?

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#34]
The people on the CMP forums say the specials come pretty quick. It's the service grade that takes awhile from what I understand.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Are you the Mr. Fumble Fingers type?

If you are.......may I suggest that you keep your fingers out of that action and use a magazine to reload.

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top