Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2022 8:13:52 AM EDT
Yesterday I received a rack grade M1 Garand from the CMP.  Above the wood line looks like a recent refinish of the receiver and major parts, below the wood line has some small pitting.  But the stock itself has large wood pieces missing/split, maybe a 5"x2" section near the buttstock.  In other words, it's about a perfect candidate for what I was thinking of doing to this rifle, namely a .308 rechamber, a restock, and maybe a Mini-G/Ultimak conversion.

Anyway, since I was already thinking of altering this decidedly non-pristine example, I got to thinking about stocks.  My first .308 Garand wears a gorgeous Fulton Armory stock, and I'm thinking of using a different setup for this project.  I was originally thinking about a DuPage laminate stock, but the much cheaper "utility" stock caught my attention.

From reading online, the "utility" stock is likely "hackberry" wood, without the buttstock compartments.  While trying to research more on this type of stock, I largely saw reviews where it was not period correct, and possibly blanching to a weird color if a refinish is attempted.  

My rifle already isn't going to be period correct, and I'm not going to attempt to refinish the wood.

So I figured I'd ask here, what are y'all's opinions or experiences on hackberry stocks for M1 Garands?

Thanks in advance.

ETA:  Turns out the stock from my first rifle perfectly compliments the handguards of my most recent acquisition; I think I might save myself a few hundred $$$.  But this thread is here in case anyone wants to answer it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The story of the Hackberry stocks.  The. CMP approached Dupage on making several hundred to a couple thousand presentation Garands for various events and awards.  The rifles would be built on non-functioning demilled M1 Garands.  In order to meet the contract price and be profitable within budget the stocks needed to be cheaper than a walnut stock and still look decent.  It was decided that Hackberry would meet the requirements.  They had several thousand stocks made.  When part of the order for the presentation Garands was cancelled this left Dupage with a large supply of stocks that they would probably have a tough time selling individually.  The CMP agreed to purchase the extra stocks from Dupage and use them on sales rifles.  I would wager that Dupage has no interest in having more Hackberry stocks made.

The hackberry wood is functional.  Not sure how they are holding up to frequent shooting.  They seem a little on the softer side.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Just spend $50 or so on a surplus Italian Garand stock.

Here are a few examples

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Garand-stocks-and-the-magic-of-tung-oil-/5-2277815/?page=1
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
For reference, here's a close up of the stock that came on this rack grade:

I honestly wasn't worried about it because I was already planning to buy a new stock before I even received this one.

But then I got the idea to see if the stock off my old rifle would fit well or color match the handguards on this rifle; sure as shit, it's almost a perfect match for the dark color of the wood:

As an honest question, would it be a bad idea to leave this more recent rack grade in this darker stock that I can only guess is imbued with Greek cosmoline?  

I will absolutely defer to y'all's wisdom on this; as you can see, the extant stock is a little smaller than the buttplate, and I'm not sure if it's due to time, or erosion due to use, or what.  

But I also know that Fluffy's rifles tend to be works of art, and I also know that I don't know what I'm doing with refinishing or refurbishing these old stocks.  A woodworker I ain't.

I have half a brain to buy one of the Italian stocks and reuse the metal off the chipped up garbage that came on this rifle, just so the metal doesn't go to waste.  Then I'd have a spare stock down the road, but it wouldn't match the handguards.

I can easily see how Fluffy got started down this path.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For reference, here's a close up of the stock that came on this rack grade:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/424D1B6A-7F48-439B-B546-F7321AFDB4EB-2513502.jpg
I honestly wasn't worried about it because I was already planning to buy a new stock before I even received this one.

But then I got the idea to see if the stock off my old rifle would fit well or color match the handguards on this rifle; sure as shit, it's almost a perfect match for the dark color of the wood:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/1DD883B8-8891-4AC9-94F9-11F168A88E70-2513504.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/61A5B894-40E7-4A7B-9E8F-564579614DA3-2513503.jpg

As an honest question, would it be a bad idea to leave this more recent rack grade in this darker stock that I can only guess is imbued with Greek cosmoline?  

I will absolutely defer to y'all's wisdom on this; as you can see, the extant stock is a little smaller than the buttplate, and I'm not sure if it's due to time, or erosion due to use, or what.  

But I also know that Fluffy's rifles tend to be works of art, and I also know that I don't know what I'm doing with refinishing or refurbishing these old stocks.  A woodworker I ain't.

I have half a brain to buy one of the Italian stocks and reuse the metal off the chipped up garbage that came on this rifle, just so the metal doesn't go to waste.  Then I'd have a spare stock down the road, but it wouldn't match the handguards.

I can easily see how Fluffy got started down this path.
View Quote

That stock looks disgusting.

Get one of the Italian stocks from Sarco. These stocks are unused beautiful walnut and not crappy schmoeberry wood. Then degrease the stock with a rag and some Murphy's Wood Soap.  Then wipe it down with a clean rag and some tung oil.

https://www.sarcoinc.com/m1-garand-stock-only-wood-only/

Then get a new stock metal set from Ammogarand and install the new stock metal on your stock.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ammogarand.com/amp/m1standwo.html

Then get new set of handguards from Dupage Trading.  Wipe down the handguards with tung oil and install everything on your rifle.

https://www.dupagetrading.com/product/new-walnut-handguard-set/

The whole project will cost you about $200 and you will have a rifle that will fill your soul with happiness. The metal looks decent and with very little work you will have a beautiful rifle.

Looking at that piece of firewood is getting you down. You don't have to be a skilled woodworker.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Stripped Hackberry with BLO applied.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hackberry stocks CMP sent out were terrible. There is a lot of other better options out there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Later this fall, I will have a new stock shipment. If you want, I will pick one out for you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
 Fluffy, I'm humbled you would even consider that.  Not an offer I could refuse.

But are you sure, even knowing that my tentative plan for the admittedly-pitted host rifle involves a potential tanker/Mini-G and Ultimak rail setup?

If it makes anyone feel better, I DO already have a better example of a Garand already.  The only picture of it I have right now kinda sucks though:

It's an old Greek field grade with a July '42 serial number that is a parts mixmaster (had a '53 barrel on it, for example); I just this week got it back from a .308 rechamber/re-Arsenal/repark job which included a stock set from Fulton Armory.  It also wears a legit Turner Saddlery 1907 sling.  And it definitely deserves better pictures, I just haven't been able to take any yet.

It holds about 1.5 MOA with IMI 7.62 NATO ammo, which surprised the hell out of me.  Opens up a bit with Norma 150 grain, though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But are you sure, even knowing that my tentative plan for the admittedly-pitted host rifle involves a potential tanker/Mini-G and Ultimak rail setup?

If it makes anyone feel better, I DO already have a better example of a Garand already.  The only picture of it I have right now kinda sucks though:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/F447689C-4D15-4336-AA8E-C9E57772A0CE-2514452.jpg

It's an old Greek field grade with a July '42 serial number that is a parts mixmaster (had a '53 barrel on it, for example); I just this week got it back from a .308 rechamber/re-Arsenal/repark job which included a stock set from Fulton Armory.  It also wears a legit Turner Saddlery 1907 sling.  And it definitely deserves better pictures, I just haven't been able to take any yet.

It holds about 1.5 MOA with IMI 7.62 NATO ammo, which surprised the hell out of me.  Opens up a bit with Norma 150 grain, though.
View Quote

Let me explain my situation.

I have five barrelled actions awaiting final assembly. Two .30-06 barrels, two 6.5s and a .308. I also have twelve new Criterion barrels. I will try to build a rifle a month for the rest of this year and next year

So I will need at least six or seven stocks in a month or two. They are $50 each, but when they are bought in bulk the price drops. So one stock more or less doesn't matter.

I don't care if you build a tanker or whatever.  You still need a basic stock and I still need to finish a bunch of them. After you do a few of them, it gets easy to refinish them in bulk. So I have a whole bunch of stocks to prepare and one more doesn't make a difference.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have five barrelled actions awaiting final assembly. Two .30-06 barrels, two 6.5s and a .308. I also have twelve new Criterion barrels. I will try to build a rifle a month for the rest of this year and next year

So I will need at least six or seven stocks in a month or two. They are $50 each, but when they are bought in bulk the price drops. So one stock more or less doesn't matter.

I don't care if you build a tanker or whatever.  You still need a basic stock and I still need to finish a bunch of them. After you do a few of them, it gets easy to refinish them in bulk. So I have a whole bunch of stocks to prepare and one more doesn't make a difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/F447689C-4D15-4336-AA8E-C9E57772A0CE-2514452.jpg

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
For what it's worth, I impulse ordered one of these stocks, and it's gorgeous with the finish that came on it.  I don't think it ever had metal installed.  Quite the excellent recommendation.

Throwing that original busted stock in the garbage after I stripped its useful metal parts, was a wonderful feeling.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, I impulse ordered one of these stocks, and it's gorgeous with the finish that came on it.  I don't think it ever had metal installed.  Quite the excellent recommendation.

Throwing that original busted stock in the garbage after I stripped its useful metal parts, was a wonderful feeling.
View Quote

Post pictures
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is an admittedly terrible picture, but the only one I have:

It locks up tight, and I'm not sure it ever had metal applied.  A great deal, and much higher quality than I anticipated.

The handguards are still original to the rifle in the above image.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's my latest rifle and it is also wearing one of Sarco's Italian stocks.

Wipe the grease off your stock with a damp cloth and some mild detergent. Then after the stock is dry get a clean rag and wipe it down with some tung oil.  Mine has three coats. Apply one coat a day for three days.

It is ridiculously easy to do.  Even Target Target could do it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone remember the days of pumpkin birch stocks from CMP? Much better than hackberry IMO.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I've gotten two rifles from the CMP lately that have ridiculously oversized stocks, and the wood is pretty pale. Is this hackberry? I have one that has clearly never even seen sandpaper and is so oversize you can't fit your finger through the trigger guard.

What the hell and I supposed to do? Sand away everything that isn't a Garand stock?

Italian stock inbound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top