Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2018 8:06:30 PM EDT
Hi everyone, I ran across a really interesting carbine today. It has rack numbers on the stock and it is made by Inland. The stock looks fantastic to me. It has that been there and done it look. I keep looking at it and keep thinking that this can't be. The barrel and the serial number couldn't possibly match--at least not for it being an original barrel to this rifle. Information is posted below. Tell me what you think.

The barrel is stamped -

Inland MFG. DIV
General Motors
1-44

Serial number - 4946741.

Is the serial number for a Jan 1944 built M1 Carbine?

If the serial number is dated to be that of Jan 1944 could this be the original barrel?

What are the chances of it being re-barreled after a rebuild with a 1-44 barrel? I keep asking myself that very question and then I ask myself what are the chances of it being a correct year and month barrel if it has been rebuilt. What am I missing? Is my thinking correct or am I way off?

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Did I read somewhere that there are fake Inlands floating around?

How much do they want for it? Hard to believe they don't know what they have, if it is genuine.

How did they come by it, and when?

Any documentation?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did I read somewhere that there are fake Inlands floating around?

How much do they want for it? Hard to believe they don't know what they have, if it is genuine.

How did they come by it, and when?

Any documentation?
View Quote
It is being auctioned for $899.00. I emailed an offer of $750.00. I had not heard that about fake Inlands going around. Didn't someone buy the name of Inland and few others and are now making reproduction rifles? The serial number on it is also something that looks original to me. The seller has positive feedback (not that that means a lot sometimes).

Speaking of fake I did see something that caught my eye and it too was on an M1 carbine. It has a hand stamped M1 on it. The add says it was because of the M2 switch over and the receiver had not been stamped during production so that they could use for M2. I have no clue of that one and it just felt off to me so I have not dug into it more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
That serial number was made in the first part of 1944.  Your carbine probably has the original barrel.  .30 Carbine ammo never had corrosive primers so the barrels tended to last.  It really is not unusual for carbines to have the original barrel but chances are the rest of the parts are a mixture of parts.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what the add says -

Here we have an Inland MFG Div, General Motors M1 Semi-Auto Rifle chambered in .30 Carbine !
Our rifle is in good to very good condition and is NOT a reproduction !
This neat M1 1-44 has the type 3 bayonett lug/barrel band

In 1941, with the US being pulled into one of the greatest conflicts in world history, a division of General Motors was tasked to support the war effort.

The result was firearm history with Inland Manufacturing becoming one of the largest gun manufacturers in the US, producing nearly 3 million firearms in less than 5 years.

The most notable of Inland’s firearm production was the .30 Caliber M1 carbine and the folding stock variant, and the M1A1 Paratrooper model.

The Basic Stats:
Bore: Good Lands and grooves, SHINY bore

Barrel: 18"ish - Parkerizing holding up VERY well - No signs of cancer or discoloration

Length of Pull: 13"

Total Length: 36"

Action: Semi-Auto Action - Flows like butter on a hot grill...just THAT smooth !

Front Sight: Fixed blade nestled between two wings

Rear Sight: Type 2

Markings:
Barrel: Inland MFG. DIV. / General Motors / 1-44
Receiver: Barrel End - "U.S. Carbine / CAL. 30 MI"
Under the rear sight - Inland DIV / 4946741
On the stock: Left side - "AAX" ; Right side - "13 3 / 133" in white paint with the crossed ordnance faintly under. It also looks like something was affixed to the flank here, green edge rectangle, perhaps a picture or map or perhaps an inventory ticket?

Furniture:
We believe the furniture to be completely original based on the wear and condition.
There are normal signs of wear, handling and such on all wood parts. Some include dings, nicks, gouges and the like from field use.

This Inland M1 Carbine was made by the Inland Manufacturing Division of General Motors during WWII. This M1 uses almost all Inland parts. Only the rear sight and magazine MAY not be Inland parts. It is relatively easy to find an Inland magazine on-line or at a gun show.

This M1 is in nice shape with a strong bright bore and strong metal finish. This is a Nice M1 to add to your WWII collection!

Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That serial number was made in the first part of 1944.  Your carbine probably has the original barrel.  .30 Carbine ammo never had corrosive primers so the barrels tended to last.  It really is not unusual for carbines to have the original barrel but chances are the rest of the parts are a mixture of parts.
View Quote
I keep forgetting that the ammo was not corrosive ammo. I have ran into a couple of carbines that have what could be correct barrels for the rifle but this is the first Inland and with a date this close to the serial number.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see the problem, reality is most USGI carbines would still have their original barrel...again, since carbine ammo was ALWAYS non-corrosive, nothing but extreme neglect would render a carbine barrel un-useable to the point of needing a re-barrel.

Most re-furbs to carbines put a bayo lug front band on, the windage adjustable rear sight, upgrading the safety from push button to rotary, and installing the upgraded, stronger mag release. Barrels were usually good to go.

Nothing wrong with that carbine likely, original barrels are not unusual...

Pics would be helpful...
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't see the problem, reality is most USGI carbines would still have their original barrel...again, since carbine ammo was ALWAYS non-corrosive, nothing but extreme neglect would render a carbine barrel un-useable to the point of needing a re-barrel.

Most re-furbs to carbines put a bayo lug front band on, the windage adjustable rear sight, upgrading the safety from push button to rotary, and installing the upgraded, stronger mag release. Barrels were usually good to go.

Nothing wrong with that carbine likely, original barrels are not unusual...

Pics would be helpful...
View Quote
I didn't think about the ammo being non corrosive. I will try and get some pics posted. I don't own this one but I am trying to.

How can I tell if a stock is original to the rifle? It has I believe two cannons marked at the rack numbers on the stock.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't think about the ammo being non corrosive. I will try and get some pics posted. I don't own this one but I am trying to.

How can I tell if a stock is original to the rifle? It has I believe two cannons marked at the rack numbers on the stock.
View Quote
The "two cannons" is the Ordnance Escutcheon mark.  Try and get a good detailed picture of it.  It will help determine original manufacturer.  Also wider picture to show the location of any marks on the stock.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Size and placement of Ordnance wheel, and what is stamped inside the sling well on opposite side.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is the link to the Inland. Tell me what you think of it. I talked to the owner and my offer as of right now was not excepted. He asked to give him time on the auction and then he would get back to me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Unfortunately, the detail of the Ordnance Escutcheon is lacking due to the picture lighting, or just wear on the stock.  Can't make out enough of the details.

The stock is "low wood" which is correct for a '44 Inland.  However the "P" mark indicates post war rebuild.  The "AAX" in the description is also indicative of a post war rebuild, although no arsenal is listed as "AAX".  AA, AAHO, AAL, AAP, AAR, and AAS would all indicated Augusta Arsenal work.  The picture on the auction is not clear enough, however the X doesn't appear to be the same as the AA mark, so perhaps it was added later.

The safety is a latter type than what would originally have been found, as is the barrel band w/ bayonet lug.  These were typically replaced during the post war rebuild, along with the rear sight.  Without a complete tear down, there is no way to determine the originality of all the parts.  If every part indicated Inland, I would suspect that it was "restored".  During arsenal rebuilds, parts from all manufacturers were mixed and used as needed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
It looks fine, it is what it is, post war use, probable arsenal refurb at some point....handguard is an earlier two rivet, has all other late war features. Rack numbers of some sort...

If no import marks, certainly he is in the ballpark with his price, I would not expect to get him much lower, unless it gets no bids possibly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]
About average on price, maybe a touch high.  Condition is ok, not great, but ok.  Pretty typical post-war rebuild.  Your $750 bid is not out of line.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#14]
There was a bunch of Chinese M1 carbine ammo floating around at one time that was prone to head separations and also made with corrosive primers.

DO NOT SHOOT THIS CRAP!  IT WILL FUCK UP YOUR CARBINE.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There was a bunch of Chinese M1 carbine ammo floating around at one time that was prone to head separations and also made with corrosive primers.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333347/2EE6E2CA-0357-469D-867D-272BBC79AE23_jpeg-725117.JPG
View Quote
Send it to me...I used 150 rounds last month in a 2 gun match...no issues.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333347/2EE6E2CA-0357-469D-867D-272BBC79AE23_jpeg-725117.JPG
View Quote
All of it I have shot worked fine
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

All of it I have shot worked fine
View Quote
Sure it shot fine, the issue is with the way the carbine works with its short stroke tappet being essentially sealed (unless you disassemble it everytime) the corrosive salts may build up in the chamber and rust it solid.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I only shoot my alpine so I'mnot real worried with it, but I still do the Windex soak treatment!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#19]
The big rectangle on the stock screams Korean to me. They loved plastering things on there. With the upgraded safety and mag release, and the later upper band, it's gone through at least one rework. So, the seller is FoS on the "Original" part. $900 for a run-of-the-mill Inland rework is about $200 too much IMO.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sure it shot fine, the issue is with the way the carbine works with its short stroke tappet being essentially sealed (unless you disassemble it everytime) the corrosive salts may build up in the chamber and rust it solid.
View Quote
It's not corrosive
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Just swapped some parts over to an IBM receiver, now I need to refinish this stock:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_14/493331_Functioning-carbine-built-up-on-IBM-receiver-.html

Attachment Attached File

I've got right around $650 in it, and a spare Choate folding stock.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just swapped some parts over to an IBM receiver, now I need to refinish this stock:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_14/493331_Functioning-carbine-built-up-on-IBM-receiver-.html

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84655/IMG_20181029_205004_jpg-721806.JPG

I've got right around $650 in it, and a spare Choate folding stock.
View Quote
Nice carbine! I would love to build one but not sure where to even start. I think I would have way more in a build than what you have in yours. It would be a fun project.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#23]
With in-spec parts and an action wrench, a carbine is as easy to build as an AR.  I was very surprised it was so simple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top