Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2018 8:15:02 PM EDT
Asking for my dad. Want to steer him in a good direction. He wants one but not enough to spend an arm and a leg.

Use would be for hunting on 7mm mag, 25-06, and 6.5 Creedmoor bolt guns hunting hogs and whitetail deer. Occasional exotic. Direct thread is fine and probably preferred.

All together the can would see maybe a box of ammo at most in a year.

I suggested gemtech tracker through SS for the ease of trust and fingerprinting. And that’s where I got my can.

What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Griffin Sportsman hands down.   I have three, and have had great hunting success with them for the last three seasons.  The taper mount muzzle devices really makes it an easy can to use.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Griffin Sportsman hands down.   I have three, and have had great hunting success with them for the last three seasons.  The taper mount muzzle devices really makes it an easy can to use.
View Quote
Exactly what I was thinking
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If your local dealer doesn’t rape you on transfer fees @hansohnbrothers has them for a pretty good price
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two Silencerco Harvesters and have been happy with them. I also got a Griffin Sportsman Ultralight out of NFA jail last week and the can seems nice - just haven't had time to put any rounds through her yet to compare with the Harvesters.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at the Palidan, as stated above the Sportsman is also very good.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If the Harvester can handle the 7mm mag (check barrel length restrictions) it is light and the Anchor Brake front cap doesmitigate more recoil than a flat front suppressor.   Otherwise the other recommendations are probably best value.  If money is no object, Thunderbeast is amazingly light and nicely made.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I snagged a tracker for $330 a while back and it does the job just fine on hunting rigs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#9]
My harvester from Hansohn should clear in sept. It will live on my Browning .30-06
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I will second the Griffin Sportsman.    I have the original version, and the newer one looks even better.    Its rated for .300 Win Mag and sounds really good on my .308 with an 18" barrel.    The Gemtech Tracker or SiCo Harvester would be good alternatives.    All 3 cans are meant for hunting type applications.

One thing I have noticed about my Sportsman is that it heats up really fast, and mirage becomes a factor.    I limit myself to 3 rounds and then let it cool to keep mirage to a minimum.    In the manual, Griffin Armament cautions against using a mirage cover since it slows the dissipation of heat.    Other than the mirage, its been a great can.

I have roughly 500 rounds of .243 and .308 through mine and there is absolutely zero wear on the blast baffle.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will second the Griffin Sportsman.    I have the original version, and the newer one looks even better.    Its rated for .300 Win Mag and sounds really good on my .308 with an 18" barrel.    The Gemtech Tracker or SiCo Harvester would be good alternatives.    All 3 cans are meant for hunting type applications.

One thing I have noticed about my Sportsman is that it heats up really fast, and mirage becomes a factor.    I limit myself to 3 rounds and then let it cool to keep mirage to a minimum.    In the manual, Griffin Armament cautions against using a mirage cover since it slows the dissipation of heat.    Other than the mirage, its been a great can.

I have roughly 500 rounds of .243 and .308 through mine and there is absolutely zero wear on the blast baffle.
View Quote
It’s rated for 300 Ultra Mag

This is likely my next can (unless some crazy deal falls in my lap).

I don’t really see myself shooting much through the can other than zeroing my rifle and then taking an animal here or there with it so I don’t think mirage in my intended use will be a huge deal
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the Tracker for what it is, light weight. Fine on a hunting rifle. But the omega with titanium direct thread and flat end cap is also a fantastic option
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. I was leaning tracker due to lower price point. If it was going to be used more I could see trying to go with a more expensive option.

I’ll take a look at the other recommendations and run it by him.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#15]
For those with experience, would it be worth it to save $100 and get a tracker or spring for the harvester?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Liberty Mystic. I use it from 300 BO down to 22. My LGS uses his on a .308. He said they make one up to 300 Magnum.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Thunderbeast Ultra 5 on my Elk and Goat rifle.  It is a 4.8 lb titanium actioned 6.5x284.  Recoil is a little harsh without the can.  With the can it is very mellow and quiet.

And it only weighs around 7.5-8 ounces.

Dragging it around around 8,000 - 14,000 foot mountains feet isn't much of a chore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Harvester.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those with experience, would it be worth it to save $100 and get a tracker or spring for the harvester?
Harvester.
That makes me feel good about my purchase
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:55:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thirded. Taper mounts are awesome and it sounds good on a 556 sbr too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for the sportsman here. I use it on my 308 and it’s a good can for the money. Mount is solid and repeatable as all get out. Plenty of suppression and lightweight for hunting. Got mine for like $400 a while ago but not sure you’d get one that cheap now.

Another consideration is barrel profile for mounting such devices. If your dad is running sporter barrels that might figure into your choice.

ETA: the tracker would probably work absolutely fine for your dads use. Don’t break the bank on something that isn’t going to get used a whole lot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Another consideration is barrel profile for mounting such devices. If your dad is running sporter barrels that might figure into your decision.
View Quote
This is also important
I’m going to use a 1/2x28 mount on my .30-06 because of the taper on my Xbolt
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Another good point for the Sportsman, you can use a direct thread adapter

Here
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been super impressed with my Harvester.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Too bad the anchor brake isn’t removable on the harvester. Could save some length there
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Too bad the anchor brake isn’t removable on the harvester. Could save some length there
View Quote
True, but its also very effective
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a Thunderbeast Ultra 5 on my Elk and Goat rifle.  It is a 4.8 lb titanium actioned 6.5x284.  Recoil is a little harsh without the can.  With the can it is very mellow and quiet.

Dragging it around around 8,000 - 14,000 foot mountains feet isn't much of a chore.
View Quote
I put my Ultra 5 on the scale. 7.4 ounces....crazy
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I'd go with my Ultra 7 for more suppression but they are top notch for accuracy and repeatability.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I feel like a Q pimp today, but look into the Trash Panda. Mount system is awesome, the can is very light, and seems to be very well made.

https://liveqordie.com/products/trash-panda-by-q
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I feel like a Q pimp today, but look into the Trash Panda. Mount system is awesome, the can is very light, and seems to be very well made.

View Quote
I have a SDN6 and if the trash panda would have been out I would have gotten it. When I get another 30 cal can it will be a trash panda.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a SDN6 and if the trash panda would have been out I would have gotten it. When I get another 30 cal can it will be a trash panda.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, I've gotten to handle mine a couple times at the gun shop and it's crazy nice. Feels the same weight as a TB ultra 7, and the same length but bigger OD. Can't wait to pick mine up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#32]
What are your (his) priorities in terms of weight, length & noise reduction?

The Harvester is an awesome can, lightweight with good suppression, but pretty long.

The TBAC Ultra 5 mentioned above is about as effective as you get in such a stubby critter, but being that short, it's still gonna have some pop; takes the edge off, but not hearing safe, dB figures in the mid 140's for full power rifle rounds.

The TBAC Ultra 7 will get you into hearing safe range, is still quite light, and splits the difference in length between SiCo Harvester and the super-compact Ultra 5.

Of course, the TBAC stuff is not as wallet friendly as SiCo, Griffin and others.  But it's top shelf, and the all titanium Ultras are gonna be tougher than Aluminum cans.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Here’s my Xbolt
I’m actually getting excited for my harvester

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#34]
For a dedicated hunting rig, i.e. carried a lot where weight and length matter, I second the recommendation for the TBAC Ultra 5.  It's well under half the weight of the other recs, a 7.4 oz can, and at the shooters ear on a bolt action is around 136 db per the silencershop testing on youtube on their .308, so hearing safe on a bolt action for a couple rounds while hunting.

The Harvester is a 22 oz can....so approaching three times the weight at the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#35]
The Harvester 30 is under 12oz and will be as quiet as a TBAC Ultra 7 on a bolt action 308.  For about half the price, but direct thread only. The anchor brake front cap works well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Harvester is a 22 oz can....so approaching three times the weight at the end of the barrel.
View Quote
You’re confused
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Harvester.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Love my Harvester and i just bought another.  The interchangeable mounts for me was the reason for the purchase but super light weight and the anchor break on the big calibers helps tremendously.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You’re confused
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re confused
It took me by surprise too, so I looked it up.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/harvester/

The Harvester is 22 oz, for the .338 version.

The Harvester 300 is only 11 oz.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah Silencerco isn't doing themselves any favors with their names. The original Harvester I believe was the lightweight 30 cal, and then they scaled it up for a bigger model and called it something like the Bigbore Harvester. Then they started putting bore numbers after them which most people drop because tongue mileage.

Companies like P&G figured out 8 decades ago that one syllable names are winners: Jiff, Tide, Pert, Crest, Zest.  Q got off to a good start with their company name and then went hillbilly chic.

People often confuse the Omega 9k with the Omega 30 when referring to the Omega. And marketing the Hybrid 46 as a pistol can is a stroke of sub-genius too.

The only thing worse than silencer names are the made up names colors of clothes from Patagonia.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It took me by surprise too, so I looked it up.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/harvester/

The Harvester is 22 oz, for the .338 version.

The Harvester 300 is only 11 oz.
View Quote
Lol nice
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Most of Texas hunting at least in our case happens from a box blind and ride a Jeep or side by side to the blind so weight isn’t as big a factor as someone climbing through mountains and packing game out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top