Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2018 9:53:14 PM EDT
So as many know. The AUG known as the A3 M1 here in the USA can use a number of different rail housings and optic housings by way of the M1 receiver. Austria's Special Operations, Jagdkommando and their airborne unit, Jägerbataillon 25 has been using what we call the A3 SF (they call it StG77A2 KDO (AUG A2 Kommando) for nearly a decade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Db8V38cLg
Jagdkommando:

Jägerbataillon 25

Essentially the main difference between the A3 SF and the A3 M1 (w/ factory optic) is that the SF model optic sits/is swept lower and has provisions for scope lens covers. Presumably to use red dot optics on top easier. Since the M1 optic sits at about the same cheekweld/overbore as a standard AR optic.

Of course, Steyr has what they call the A3 SF O. Which is essentially a full auto variant of the M1. Same of very similar optic housing of the M1 with a 20 in.barrel as opposed to a 16 in. barrel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjltybUkeA4

Onto the new info. Now this appeared online quite a few months ago. But it appears that Austria is giving their non Special Ops, front line troopers (ie their front line infantry, professional soldiers) a new AUG. Dubbed the StG77A1 KPE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljh_J8zQcJM This appears to an M1 like American consumers can buy. Except in this video it appears to have provisions to put on lens covers in the housing and more rails. 20 in. barrel which is how the Austrians roll for their main military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljh_J8zQcJM

Here's a couple articles on the procurement of the StG77A1 KPE. These images differ from the video a little. Considering the barrel has a bayonet lug(which Austria doesn't use bayonets) and the optic housing is identical (top rifles in the pics) to our M1 rifles. You'll notice the non QD front sling loops and the green colored trigger, etc) So it's not USA made.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://strategie-technik.blogspot.com/2017/08/alles-gute-aug-40-jahre-sturmgewehr-77.html&prev=search

http://sipol.at/en/2017/03/30/new-gear/

No idea on which (if not both) KPE variants will be fielded by Austrian troops. I guess your average Austrian soldier won't be getting a red dot anytime soon. :D I guess the new KPE variants will make it easier to mount lights and lasers than the old A1/STG77 did.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Good info, thanks.

I've tried really hard to get the SF optic to no luck. Guess there's something else to try to procure now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a shame they didn't go with the 3x SF optic, which would allow them to better use a stacked red dot.

Also, would really love to see the SF optic imported / become the new standard for the M1.

Any idea of what the minimum order quantity is for the SF optic to be produced?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, kind of weird that they wouldn't look to upgrade further:

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Who makes that case deflector in the photo?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#5]
All of those parts are made by Corvus Defensio - they are currently the cutting edge for AUG upgrades.

http://corvusdefensio.com/en/shop/

They ship to the US, so order with confidence.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good info, thanks.

I've tried really hard to get the SF optic to no luck. Guess there's something else to try to procure now.
View Quote
Yeah, I know I've followed your posts. I too wish you could have gotten them to make and send some SF optics here. It would be swell to have them. As you know, the 2 optic housings aren't that much different height wise. About 10mm or, .39 inches. When comparing the SF housing to the M1/KPE and A1 housing (they're the same). You can obviously use red dots on top of the M1. But it's not as ideal.

Like I said. I don't know if they're actually using the M1 civi housing we get. Or if they're using the housing with more rails and provisions for lens covers like in the video (or both). But at least for cloners, with this KPE variant. Not hard to do a KPE clone now. Nothing you can do about the QD socket on the USA receivers. But by an M1 w/ 20 in barrel. At an A3 brake and you're good> :D

No idea on what magnification the KPE variant is. I'm guessing it's gonna be 1.5x like the A1. I do know that Jagdkommando and Jagerbattalion 25 SF's are 3x.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The "real" SF optics are $2000 my cost, could order them but who the hell would buy one at that price? They have an illuminated reticle I was told.

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a shame they didn't go with the 3x SF optic, which would allow them to better use a stacked red dot.

Also, would really love to see the SF optic imported / become the new standard for the M1.

Any idea of what the minimum order quantity is for the SF optic to be produced?
View Quote
I'm guessing it just wasn't a priority or in the budget for the Bundsheer to give their frontline infantry troops red dots I suppose(of course this is an assumption). Austria has a somewhat small military. About 26,000 regular, full time troops. (12,000 at anytime are conscripts that do 6 months of duty). With another 27,000 reserve personnel. And of these maybe 2600 are the "front line, rapidly deployed" infantry.

No idea on a minimum order. But i do remember from a few years ago when maelente contacted Steyr Austria. They told him the only way the SF housing would be made again would be for a large military order.

The only other group(s) I know of that use the SF besides Austria's Jagdkommando and JB 25 are some of Indonesia's counter-terrorist police/military units:

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The "real" SF optics are $2000 my cost, could order them but who the hell would buy one at that price? They have an illuminated reticle I was told.

View Quote
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I had never heard of the illuminated reticle in them before....interesting....
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good info, thanks.

View Quote
Me and you both, i still check in ask from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I might just be stupid enough
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
What will $2000 buy me? SSG04, another AUG and a case of ammo, 7,000rds of brass cased 5.56, CZ TS Orange and a case of ammo, or a S&B 5-25x on sale. Yeah, no way am I paying $2000 for an optic housing with 3x meopta glass, that's outrageous.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:30:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, that is not for the baller on the budget.

Would the price come down if more were ordered? And any indication of the illumination source - tritium, battery, etc?

Maybe we can convince Steyr to do a limited run of A3 SF's, similar to their run of STG 77's, but using the regular M1 3X glass?

I know I would snag one of these:
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Great post OP! Thanks for the info and links.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Man are AUGs sexy.....wow good looking gun.... I want a SF bad I wish the M1 came with a lip for the scope covers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I literally stumbled on this the other day looking for info on something else. I'm not sure when they were adopted. But Oman's Army (Oman is an Arab country by Saudi Arabia w/ a dictator, I mean King). These images are from last year when Oman's army was training w/ US Marines.

No idea on scope magnification. But notice, it's an M1. Green stock, 20 in. barrel, bayonet lug, A3 brake.

Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Great pics Jack - the contrast between the traditional headwear and the space age AUG is great.

Very curious if they went with the 1.5x or 3x.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd love an illuminated reticled scope! Just not $2K worth of love.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I literally stumbled on this the other day looking for info on something else. I'm not sure when they were adopted. But Oman's Army (Oman is an Arab country by Saudi Arabia w/ a dictator, I mean King). These images are from last year when Oman's army was training w/ US Marines.

No idea on scope magnification. But notice, it's an M1. Green stock, 20 in. barrel, bayonet lug, A3 brake.
View Quote
Sultan. And be that as it may, he wrested control of the country from his father and fought Russian- and Chinese-backed insurgents during the Dhofar rebellion, and pretty much brought his country into the 21st century in record time. They're hardly non-aligned, with most of their weapons and equipment coming from the US/UK/France. Considering everything that has happened everywhere else since 2011, we should be glad they're working with us.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good info, thanks.

View Quote
You tried PJ? anyway finally got around to using that trigger spring you gave me in the 9aug. Seems good so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top