Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2021 11:24:44 PM EDT
I bought this year's ago as a stock STG-58 and have not done much to it other the put a DSA piccatillion rail on it without a scope.

I know but like the LPVO options today that are out so I'm glad I waited. Magazine are hard to find good thing I bought a bunch when they where available.

Read and told the trigger is hit or miss or leave my trigger with DSA for 9+ weeks. So looking for advice and ideas to make it more it more user-friendly and more reliable that's key!

I have taken Russian steel ammo to High end back in 2009 $2.50 pop 308 win and this rifle eats anything. The $2.50 ammo was ammo a guy next to me who had a match AR-10 that would not fire. He left them on the ground and I asked if I could try them.

As I said reliable is most important part shot well and have had no problems with the 5k+ rounds that have been through this rifle.

Thanks for the help and advice!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The only "updating" I've done to mine was to replace the tritium in the Elcan that's been on it for 23ish years.

Not sure if there actually is anything that can be done to better them, other than improving the optics.

Interested to hear if anyone actually has a worthy suggestion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only "updating" I've done to mine was to replace the tritium in the Elcan that's been on it for 23ish years.

Not sure if there actually is anything that can be done to better them, other than improving the optics.

Interested to hear if anyone actually has a worthy suggestion.
View Quote

There is a trigger job that DSA does but kind of hate for them to have my trigger for 9+ weeks. Also heard word of mouth that there are night sights for the STG-58.

I also have been looking at a flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a LPVO, I'd mount it to a different rifle (AR-10 or SCAR-17) and leave the classic STG-58 as is, but that's just my opinion.

I did my own FAL trigger work and improved it significantly. They can be good but I don't think an original trigger group can be made great. They're easy to ruin if you're not experienced with trigger work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the same setup in a 16 inch barrel on a ban era DSA receiver made by LMT and put an Aimpoint Pro with a 2moa reddot on it in a low qd mount.  

Much easier shooting for my old eyes.  

It is a go to hell rifle for me and absolutely bulletproof reliable with all manner of ammo.

There is no way I would send it to DSA for work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking to take mine back to stock, so if you want to sell your OEM dust cover let me know!
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The more I've modded guns over the years, the more I like them in stock configs.
I really like shooting my FAL with irons. I have a 1-6x, but it just feels so bulky with it. Now that I've tried the LPVO, I think a 3x prism might be the way to go for the FAL if you must optic. And a 2x for AKs, red dots for ARs. Just my preference.
It's satisfying to be the old guy shooting tight groups with irons, while tactical clown at the bench next to me is shooting apart the target stand with his 6x / AR.

I'm not sure I'd dick with the trigger unless it's really gritty and total crap.
I've jammed metal polish in the trigger mech on some guns and dry fire it until it's smoothed out, clean it out and grease it and it's good to go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
FAL is a great rifle, my favorite cold war battle rifle.  But it is not a great gun for accuracy due to the separated receivers/sights.  Mounts are so so at best.  Triggers not great.  The locking block design is just not as good for accuracy either.

An AR design is better for optics.  Leave it as is is my vote as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
FAL's, like many vintage rifles were designed for open sights and the stocks have a lot of drop at the comb. I've tried LPVO's but more a chin weld than cheek weld.

So, this Winter I put a Holosun 510c reflex sight on one FAL for giggles. Shyte, it worked beautifully.
I put a 1/4" piece of closed cell foam on the stock and have a very comfortable cheek weld on the stock.

Used it last month at a 3gun with targets out to 200. No problem making hits and it was a hoot to shoot. 65 moa ring+dot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I would leave it in stock configuration. Clean up the trigger, but otherwise leave it alone.

Either take a polishing stone to the sear and hammer engagement surfaces and lightly smooth things up or cycle the action and pull the trigger by hand a few hundred times. Work in dry fire training while you're at it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not looking to alter the rifle or anything. Not wanting to sport it out.

I love this rifle I know it's not a sniper rifle it's a battle rifle so not looking for eyeball shots at 1,000 yards. What I want is something that is more user friendly like a stock and hand grip that is lighter and more ergonomic.

I can hit what I aim at out to 200+ yards iron sights with this rifle but it would be faster if I had an optic. Not looking to replace the iron sights at all just looking at the whole one is none type of thinking.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an all original 1959 stg58.. all I’ve done when I acquired it was replacing various springs with newer DSA production.. polymer handguard.. and SAW grip.
I’ve removed the bipod as well.. the balance is great now.

The SAW grip was probably the best upgrade.. followed by the polymer HG..

I also have an ARMS top rail but I’m not using it.. maybe in the future I’ll put a RDS.. I have an extra Romeo4T laying around.

Link Posted: 8/19/2021 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an all original 1959 stg58.. all I’ve done when I acquired it was replacing various springs with newer DSA production.. polymer handguard.. and SAW grip.
I’ve removed the bipod as well.. the balance is great now.

The SAW grip was probably the best upgrade.. followed by the polymer HG..

I also have an ARMS top rail but I’m not using it.. maybe in the future I’ll put a RDS.. I have an extra Romeo4T laying around.

https://i.postimg.cc/xCRsT6gz/2456-C0-ED-416-B-4631-83-F7-06-D0-B804-A8-CA.jpg
View Quote

That's a pretty battle rifle!
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 2:45:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I did my own FAL trigger work and improved it significantly. They can be good but I don't think an original trigger group can be made great. They're easy to ruin if you're not experienced with trigger work.
View Quote

FAL triggers clean up pretty reasonably and easily IME.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 3:59:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Mark Graham has discussed the work he does on trigger so that the layman can do it.  The best that can be accomplished while having a safe trigger is to reduce the weight to a bit under 6 lbs. and make the break crisp, like a glass rod.  Not ideal, but far from terrible.  Not sure what DSA does.  If done wrong, the trigger can be ruined and/or made unsafe.

I've seen some good results posted on the FAL Files with a StG-58 with a scope mounted using a DSA scope mount and decent ammo.  The following was the result of shooting by FAL Files member stubdog25.  His rifle is a very nice StG-58 kit built on an IMBEL receiver with a DSA scope mount and I think a U.S. Optics scope of some sort.

Following picture is of a target he shot that was 550 yards away.  Ammo was Federal 168-gr. GMM.  10-shot group.  Group size 9.75" (1.69 MOA).

Next picture is of a target at 715 yards.  10-shots.  Same ammo as above.  Group diametre 13.5" (1.8 MOA).

Finally, the next picture has a 15 shot group in the lower left target of German MEN NATO ball ammo at 100 yards.  1.7" group diametre (1.62 MOA).  Groups were also shot at 550 and 715 yards with this ammo, with 16.5" (2.87 MOA) and 21" (2.81 MOA) group diametres, respectively (not pictured).

I forget some of the details, but an Italian FAL Filer was able to get sub-MOA groups a significant percentage of the time using handloads and iron sights.  His rifle is a Lithgow L1A1 that he used to win at least one 300m service rifle match over there in Europe.  He did more extensive accurizing work on it, though, some of it designed to mitigate the effect that having the iron sights on two different assemblies can have on accuracy if things aren't perfectly tight, although shims exist now to do some of what he did more easily.  With a scope, this isn't an issue.  I think he also got a new barrel made by Lothar Walther or something (or maybe found a NIW Parker Hale; I forget, exactly) and reamed the flash suppressor (although this was because it was off-center).  Another thing he did was eliminate play in the rear sight and also a trigger job.  Unlike some folks here, he did not attempt to do any work on the bolt/carrier fit.  His handloads were tailored to this particular rifle. I recall that he found a bullet, powder, and cartridge OAL that was perfect and got him under 1 MOA part of the time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mark Graham has discussed the work he does on trigger so that the layman can do it.  The best that can be accomplished while having a safe trigger is to reduce the weight to a bit under 6 lbs. and make the break crisp, like a glass rod.  Not ideal, but far from terrible.  Not sure what DSA does.  If done wrong, the trigger can be ruined and/or made unsafe.

I've seen some good results posted on the FAL Files with a StG-58 with a scope mounted using a DSA scope mount and decent ammo.  The following was the result of shooting by FAL Files member stubdog25.  His rifle is a very nice StG-58 kit built on an IMBEL receiver with a DSA scope mount and I think a U.S. Optics scope of some sort.

Following picture is of a target he shot that was 550 yards away.  Ammo was Federal 168-gr. GMM.  10-shot group.  Group size 9.75" (1.69 MOA).

https://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/newton3407/fal3/500group2.jpg

Next picture is of a target at 715 yards.  10-shots.  Same ammo as above.  Group diametre 13.5" (1.8 MOA).

https://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/newton3407/fal3/715group2.jpg

Finally, the next picture has a 15 shot group in the lower left target of German MEN NATO ball ammo at 100 yards.  1.7" group diametre (1.62 MOA).  Groups were also shot at 550 and 715 yards with this ammo, with 16.5" (2.87 MOA) and 21" (2.81 MOA) group diametres, respectively (not pictured).

https://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/newton3407/fal3/100ydagmen.jpg

I forget some of the details, but an Italian FAL Filer was able to get sub-MOA groups a significant percentage of the time using handloads and iron sights.  His rifle is a Lithgow L1A1 that he used to win at least one 300m service rifle match over there in Europe.  He did more extensive accurizing work on it, though, some of it designed to mitigate the effect that having the iron sights on two different assemblies can have on accuracy if things aren't perfectly tight, although shims exist now to do some of what he did more easily.  With a scope, this isn't an issue.  I think he also got a new barrel made by Lothar Walther or something (or maybe found a NIW Parker Hale; I forget, exactly) and reamed the flash suppressor (although this was because it was off-center).  Another thing he did was eliminate play in the rear sight and also a trigger job.  Unlike some folks here, he did not attempt to do any work on the bolt/carrier fit.  His handloads were tailored to this particular rifle. I recall that he found a bullet, powder, and cartridge OAL that was perfect and got him under 1 MOA part of the time.
View Quote

I have seen mine not with me shooting it mind you  shoot 10 rounds in the X and then 10 head shots at a B-27 at 1,000 yards. Again I did not do it. It was an old friend I meet he was a former Marine Scout Sniper instructor.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I converted mine to a Para years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top