Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2018 2:53:01 PM EDT
So I am looking at purchasing an IWI Galil ACE in 7.62x39.  I had an Arsenal SAM7 and it was a nice gun, but I'm not a huge fan of the AK aside from the nostalgic factor of it.  The ACE looks pretty cool and now I am considering getting one so I have a new 7.62x39 rifle.  I am just not sure if I want the pistol or the rifle.  The pistol honestly seems like it'd be a lot more fun to shoot.  I can't find any around me so I am curious from those who have experience what you'd prefer?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are not stuck on magazines, I'd highly suggest taking a gander at the CZ Bren 2.

It is really the most modern 7.62x39 firearm on the market.  The ACE is still practically another AK. I couldn't get myself to get an ACE because of that. Already have Norinco NHM90/91, SIG 553R/556R. An ACE doesn't get me anything extra over what I had, where the Bren 2 did, with it's moden design and lightweight focus.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are not stuck on magazines, I'd highly suggest taking a gander at the CZ Bren 2.

It is really the most modern 7.62x39 firearm on the market.  The ACE is still practically another AK. I couldn't get myself to get an ACE because of that. Already have Norinco NHM90/91, SIG 553R/556R. An ACE doesn't get me anything extra over what I had, where the Bren 2 did, with it's moden design and lightweight focus.
View Quote
Honestly, I'd love to get a Bren 2.  My only issue is they seem kind of rare right now and the price is a bit more than I want to pay.  Originally they said they would cost less than the Bren 1.  Right now they're almost $2,000 and I'm assuming that's markups due to the limited availability of them.  The appealing thing to me about ACE is it is on sale at Buds for $1,420 for the rifle, and $1,280 for the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, in that case, it really is up to whether you want a braced pistol/SBR or rifle. I'd get a braced pistol, and SBR it sometime in the future.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Honestly, I'd love to get a Bren 2.  My only issue is they seem kind of rare right now and the price is a bit more than I want to pay.  Originally they said they would cost less than the Bren 1.  Right now they're almost $2,000 and I'm assuming that's markups due to the limited availability of them.  The appealing thing to me about ACE is it is on sale at Buds for $1,420 for the rifle, and $1,280 for the pistol.
View Quote
Mags are proprietary, not AK style.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
the short barrel Galil will be fun for a while, but will get old in a hurry, esp if you want to use a can...  would be nicer to see some of these pistol variants in a more usable 10-12" barrel length
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I was in the market for a proven "Modernized AK" ... the ACE has a lot going for it. And would be at the top of the list.

Just remember most AK's are pretty much over gassed so running a suppressor is bound to make feeding issues.

I also tend to think a pistol version , while fun for a while... might get old pretty fast.

I would prefer a 300BK in a pistol length... with its ability to easily find subsonic ammo.

Quake_Guy is right on track barrel length wise... 10"-12" barrel length with a folder stock would make me much more interested.
View Quote
That's why I jumped at the Bren 2 in 7.62x39 with 11" barrel.  Has a suppressor compatible gas selector, and many modern features despite the need for new magazines.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd get the pistol and sbr it. With a suppressor on the end itll be perfect.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd get the rifle and be done. But I'm not a fan of paying the government $200 to register my guns just so I can put a shorter metal tube on them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd get the rifle and be done. But I'm not a fan of paying the government $200 to register my guns just so I can put a shorter metal tube on them.
View Quote
This is how I feel.  I really want a pistol variant, but I don't care for the braces and I really do not want to pay $200 and have to wait however long to get approved for a stock.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is how I feel.  I really want a pistol variant, but I don't care for the braces and I really do not want to pay $200 and have to wait however long to get approved for a stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then why did you make this thread?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Then why did you make this thread?
View Quote
Because part of me thought it would be fun to shoot a 7.62x39 pistol.  Even though I dislike the braces I could live with one if the gun was a ton of fun to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top