Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2022 12:11:55 PM EDT
I’m looking to make the 12in MP5SD can in 22lr. What would be the best material for the tube and baffles?  I like aluminum, but would titanium be better?  As for the baffles would the first couple of them be gtg with stainless and the the rest being aluminum?  Or just stainless all the way through so I can rotate them when the start to show wear and tear?  Also who or where is the go to place now for tubes, cups and end caps?  I’m going to have the barrel cut and rethreaded to 1/2x28 or should I go with a tri lug adapter to be permanently attached to the barrel and get a tri lug end cap set up so I can move it to other sbrs that I have set up with that?  Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
To the best of my knowledge, the ATF hates form 1 cans now and I hear it will be denied.

Maybe others have more knowledge than me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#2]
All aluminum is fine for 22lr. People are going to complain about cleaning. Just knock the crud out, lube, and shoot. You should still be able to rotate positions to reduce focused wear.

You can also build a standard 1" x 5-6" and put inside a larger tube.

Several reputable sites still have parts available. Anything not drilled or spot drilled (center marked) are not considered silencer parts.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To the best of my knowledge, the ATF hates form 1 cans now and I hear it will be denied.

Maybe others have more knowledge than me.
View Quote

Stop or keep that shit in GD. Form 1 silencers are being approved faster than pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I did an sbr mp5 22lr, and I got a form 1 for it to make a fat can. I just said something like additional raw materials will be purchased on approval and sent a picture of my lathe and some bar stock. No problem.  Or even a design submitted.

in the end I figured it was actually much easier and probably quieter to use one of my spectre cans and 3d printed a shroud after cutting and chopping the barrel. The fat cans don't seem to add anything unless full auto and doing a can within a can coaxial design to cut down on gas. I think Ecco has some examples of that. I don't have that level of skill though!

ETA: a 12" can is really useless also, unless on a real mp5sd under the guard or a reflex/integral design. I have a 12" 9mm sub gun can and if it wasn't more trouble than it is worth I would cut it up and remove from registry. It is stupid long. A trilug 12" maybe on a 4.5" 9mm ar maybe, but hang that on the front of an mp5 or scorpion or something and it'll suck. Make a fake out of pvc to try it out. I wish I had. But it was one of my first cans, (Thompson SG 9mm, 12" x 2")

I may build a shroud for under the hand guard and drill a port to make an "integral" so a three stamp gun, just need to consider the legality of the hole in the barrel vs a clamping shroud being a "suppressor" even through it would just be a serialized clamshell tube. So far with subs it is everything I wanted it to be though. Stupid quiet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top