Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2020 8:23:45 PM EDT
A friend in the service asked me to cerakote an upper for him. I blindly said yes, not realizing what he had. Before I go buy the $100 special tool to remove this nut, I thought I might ask if someone here would be willing to loan one for a few days? He is in the Marines and has just shipped out again so there's no pressure to get it done, but I would use and return the tool as quickly as possible, and I'm totally ok with sending a deposit as well.

Anyone care to help a brother out?
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#1]
... anyone at all?
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#2]
TTT
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask over in the "Tool Loan" thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/The-TOOL-LOAN-Thread/4-696435/

If you think you might ever need to use one again just pick one up.  You can find them way cheaper than $100.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can find them way cheaper than $100.
View Quote
@Engineer5
Where?

The only source I've found is Arrington Accuracy Works and it's $90 for the one without a handle.

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@Engineer5
Where?

The only source I've found is Arrington Accuracy Works and it's $90 for the one without a handle.

https://d3gbcblfj930tw.cloudfront.net/images/502610/original/open-uri20131116-3966-1src19
View Quote

Sorry, My bad.  I was thinking 6920 not 6940.

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the 6940 not use a standard nut wrench?
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does the 6940 not use a standard nut wrench?
View Quote

No, and the only one that's worthy is the one that Specialized Armament made, but they won't sell me one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, and the only one that's worthy is the one that Specialized Armament made, but they won't sell me one.
View Quote

Well, it has to come apart, so the AA one will have to do
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ask over in the "Tool Loan" thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/The-TOOL-LOAN-Thread/4-696435/

If you think you might ever need to use one again just pick one up.  You can find them way cheaper than $100.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll give that thread a try
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread to see why the Arrington Accuracy wrench sucks. > Link. It will probably last for a couple of barrel nut removals and installs but then it basically becomes unusable.

This was a while ago, so hopefully the AA wrench has improved.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread to see why the Arrington Accuracy wrench sucks. > Link. It will probably last for a couple of barrel nut removals and installs but then it basically becomes unusable.

This was a while ago, so hopefully the AA wrench has improved.
View Quote

9 years is a long time to hold a grudge, especially when Arrington's offer to replace did not receive a response. 9 years later the Arrington tool is the only one I can find for sale, the other guys don't list it on their site (which is filled with some very overpriced common tools, btw).

The Arrington tool could still be crap, but apparently the only one (still) around, and the gun has to come apart.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

9 years is a long time to hold a grudge, especially when Arrington's offer to replace did not receive a response. 9 years later the Arrington tool is the only one I can find for sale, the other guys don't list it on their site (which is filled with some very overpriced common tools, btw).

The Arrington tool could still be crap, but apparently the only one (still) around, and the gun has to come apart.
View Quote

I'm not really holding a grudge against Arrington Accuracy, though I'm not a fan of tools that don't work well for their intended purpose. Now it is good to note (as you pointed out) that Arrington Accuracy did offer to replace the wrench, and the fact that it was so long ago things might have changed and the wrench might be improved since then.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered the tool, I'll update my experience with it here after it arrives.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I ordered the tool, I'll update my experience with it here after it arrives.
View Quote

Interested to hear if it fits the nut without modification.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Got it, took pics, it fit & worked perfectly. I will update with the pics when I get a little more time
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got it, took pics, it fit & worked perfectly. I will update with the pics when I get a little more time
View Quote

That's good to hear!
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#17]
https://imgur.com/a/kcyqetM

If you're mindful of the tooth engagement, I can see the tool lasting a long time. However, being mindful here means slowing things down well below "rip'n tear" speed... patience is key here, especially because the swing of the tool is limited. Patience is key.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry I missed this.

We have one of the tools.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you're mindful of the tooth engagement, I can see the tool lasting a long time. However, being mindful here means slowing things down well below "rip'n tear" speed... patience is key here, especially because the swing of the tool is limited. Patience is key.
View Quote

Interesting, the design definitely changed. The tool now has full engagement of the barrel nut, but it sounds like it's still made of pretty week steel if it's designed to fail before damaging the nut.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry I missed this.

We have one of the tools.
View Quote

Thanks anyway... maybe someone will see this in the future and get the help I needed
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Interesting, the design definitely changed. The tool now has full engagement of the barrel nut, but it sounds like it's still made of pretty week steel if it's designed to fail before damaging the nut.
View Quote

I wouldn't say the steel is weak. It's simply not hardened, and the teeth are cut to give way. The tool I bought suffered no damage in use. The nut was very, very tight. If the teeth on the nut were damaged to the point you could not get the tool on again, you would basically have to sacrifice the upper, barrel, nut, or all 3 to get the thing apart. I think they have the right idea with the tool as it is currently designed.

I do have 2 gripes about the tool, but they're not related to the function... A: the finish they applied is fairly poor - especially considering B: the price. They are making a wonderfully large profit margin...
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say the steel is weak. It's simply not hardened, and the teeth are cut to give way. The tool I bought suffered no damage in use. The nut was very, very tight. If the teeth on the nut were damaged to the point you could not get the tool on again, you would basically have to sacrifice the upper, barrel, nut, or all 3 to get the thing apart. I think they have the right idea with the tool as it is currently designed.

I do have 2 gripes about the tool, but they're not related to the function... A: the finish they applied is fairly poor - especially considering B: the price. They are making a wonderfully large profit margin...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What they did with designing the teeth on the tool to give before damaging the nut makes sense, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one now at this point considering the redesign and the fact that yours actually fit properly.

This has me wondering what the torque spec might be on the 6940 barrel nuts, for that I'm sure Ken at Specialized Armament would know the answer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey Sebspeed, would you mind posting some picture of the barrel nut and the chamber end of the barrel?

I've owned two 6940s, still have one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top