Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2021 8:53:17 AM EDT
https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/federals-firestick-will-be-a-game-changer-in-the-muzzlelader-hunting-world/

I'm intrigued by the advantages the Nitrofire has to offer, with its Federal FireStick propellant technology.  But also leery about investing in a system that might not be around for long.  Maybe it doesn't catch on among the more traditional muzzleloader crowd.  Maybe the cost per shot (around $4.50) will keep demand low.  And the Nitrofire rifle would be a paperweight without the FireStick being available.

I certainly don't need a muzzleloader for hunting here in Florida (although we do have a muzzleloader-only season.)

A Traditions Nitrofire gun (no optic) can be had for around $500, which is the budget I was considering.

I'm not too concerned about the per shot cost.  Just future availability.  But art of me asks, "Why get a muzzleloader if you don't need one for any reason other than to keep ammo costs down?"

What are your thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont really know much about the modern muzzleloaders, im sure someone who is will be along to help you out.

That being said, if you're looking for a muzzleloader as just a range toy and you are not planning on hunting with it, why not look at a trad gun?
View Quote

I might do just that.  I think it would be fun to learn how to cast bullets and shoot blackpowder.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Nitrofire is going to be way more expensive to shoot than just about any other muzzleloader. Wouldn't depend on supply for it being easy to find either.
Go with a more traditional gun...  Percussion, flintlock or even a regular inline using 209 primers.

One other piece of advice, before you run out and buy molds to cast your own, get the rifle you want first.
Its barrel twist rate will determine the bullets (or roundball in the case of slow twist) will work out best for you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Are the firesticks reloadable?

Drop another charge in, cardboard wad, hot glue seal.

Did it say that the primer actually goes in the plastic "case", or a separate nipple?

Better question, why hasn't anyone chambered their break action smokepole for 45/70 blanks? Or maybe I should suggest a Contender... seems straightforward, besides having to seat a bullet on a primed charge (which isn't BP impact sensitive anyway?).

Since not firing a fixed cartridge is the name of the game, what's wrong with breech loading? Why not just use a nice sturdy ramrod with large palm swell as a stop to prevent over-seating into the rifling. The ramrod would also fit in your pocket... then you can drop a 45-70/12ga/etc blank in the chamber.

Hell, I bet buckshot pellets and a 38spl blank would be fun for small game or beercan hunting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The whole thing just sounds like a bad idea. Requires a 4473 and you are locked into an expensive (~$3) per powder charge that is at this point single source non reloadable. This has all the signs of being an abandoned by the manufacturer $500 paperweight in 3 years.
Never mind that more than a few states will likely classify it as not a muzzleloader.
$500ish is getting into nice premium inline territory. I think your better served elsewhere.

Basic inline muzzleloaders start around $200 and go up from there. Los of good options and much cheaper and flexible to feed than a gimmick nitrofire. A traditional rifle will be more expensive but generally cheaper to feed especially with round balls. If you just want something to shoot and enjoy the process go that way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are the firesticks reloadable?

Drop another charge in, cardboard wad, hot glue seal.

Did it say that the primer actually goes in the plastic "case", or a separate nipple?

View Quote

The primer is in the plastic case not a separate nipple.

I would pass on this.. boat anchor in 3 years..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]
As others have commented, I'd steer clear of the gimcracks.  A traditional rifle will be a lot more supportable.  And I think you'll find it more enjoyable to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would pass on this.. boat anchor in 3 years..
View Quote

Came here to post this. As someone who shoots in lines a lot this appears to be a solution looking for a problem.  For people who don’t want to measure their powder the industry already offers pellets and at that price point I don’t see it being popular.  Also, just my personal opinion, Traditions muzzleloaders are pretty much bottom of the barrel so if that’s the platform they’re using I would never be interested.
Most of your 209 primer ignition in lines are already water resistant or can be modified to be by shimming the primer pocket for a few thousands “crush” when the action is closed. If your bullet is in a sabot no significant moisture is getting to your powder.  I’ve hunted in the rain for a few days and still took a deer when the opportunity came.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top