Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2019 10:41:42 PM EDT
What are some good sources for reasonably priced IIIA soft armor these days?

I saw this one for IIIA at $500ish, but didn't know if it was a reputable company or not:
https://www.safeguardarmor.com/bullet-proof-vests/ghost/

Then I saw this one listed on a couple other threads in this subforum:
http://www.cryeprecision.com/ProductDetail/lvsbv236md0_lvs-base-vest-patrol-cut

I'm specifically looking for reputable companies that sell to non-LE for a friend that's a Range Safety Officer. Who have y'all used that you'd recommend?
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Safeguard and safelite both sell super generic fairly heavy and thick vests that are not NIJ certified. If I was looking for a vest for RSO type use I'd look for a used within date level II vest from one of the big companies like PB or Safariland. Something generic and concealable. Also, as I understand it the LVS has a 6ish month wait time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out bulletproofme.com
I have never personally used them, but have heard good things about them in the past.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
BulletSafe is an option, especially if you want affordability. Their IIIA vest is $300.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Velocity Systems LPAC and panels from OPT, and they're great to deal with as a civilian. No mess, just an ID picture. And the LPAC is really great. It's a little bit more expensive, but you're paying for quality. Life and Liberty gear has a different type of the panels as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys! I'll pass this along. I checked out the sites and it looks like some great options there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Just ordered a BulletSafe ceramic plate on Wednesday, delivered today.  Seems like a quality company and their plate appears solid.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Velocity Systems LPAC and panels from OPT, and they're great to deal with as a civilian. No mess, just an ID picture. And the LPAC is really great. It's a little bit more expensive, but you're paying for quality. Life and Liberty gear has a different type of the panels as well.
View Quote
This. The LPAC is a great cut.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for bulletproofme.com
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
AR500's hybrid Level IIIA is rated to stop 44 mag at 200 + fps over NIJ specs. It's a very nice panel, but if you're looking for a more traditional IIIA vest and not panels, that won't help much..

AR500 IIIA

@AR500Armor Level IIIA Hybrid Armor. Advanced Threat Protection
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure if you’re still looking or not but I’ve used bulletproofme.com. I didn’t have any issues and they made sure I measured correctly before gave them my CC.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I checked out bulletproofme before I sent him the link to this thread, looked like they had some good priced stuff too. I'm not sure what he'll decide yet but I'll post back when I hear what he decided. Not sure when he's looking to buy, he said his current stuff was going to hit the expiration date soon though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I checked out bulletproofme before I sent him the link to this thread, looked like they had some good priced stuff too. I'm not sure what he'll decide yet but I'll post back when I hear what he decided. Not sure when he's looking to buy, he said his current stuff was going to hit the expiration date soon though.
View Quote
Wait, what does he have now? The "expiration date" on armor is just the warranty period. As long as he hasn't beat the ever lasting crap out of it and heavily exposed the armor directly to hostile elements it's still perfectly fine.

ETA: My point being he can most likely just keep wearing his current armor if he doesn't want to spend the money on a new set. There's not much reason to if he's only replacing it because it's hitting the end of the warranty period, unless he really just wants armor that's still under warranty.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm guessing he wants stuff that has the warranty. He said he gets flagged A LOT as a RSO and he's used his current armor a lot so it's not like he's just left it sit in a closet for the last five years. I've got another friend that just left the RSO/training scene because of all the people that would flag him and not even care after he called them on it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
BPM is solid and helpful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top