Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 7:06:45 PM EDT
This will be for duty use, so needs to be durable.  Looking for something that’s a good combination of the Level 3 (fleece) and Level 4 (wind/rain shell) of the ECWCS.

- Needs to be available in Multicam/OCP
- Moderately insulated (enough for brief periods spent outside in cold ass ND.  I have the Level 7 for lengthy periods of time spent outside)
- Wind resistant/proof (wind is the biggest issue up here)
- Water resistant
- Prefer the least amount of bulkiness as possible, although that’s kind of a tradeoff with the whole “insulated” requirement.
- Hood not required, and I’d almost prefer one not be there to cut down on bulk/snagging when wearing a plate carrier/helmet.

Cost is really not a concern within reason.  Any ideas?  I’ve looked at a whole bunch of options, but really looking for personal experiences.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You're going to end up paying out the ass, but Wild Things, Arc'teryx LEAF and Beyond Clothing are your friends. In terms of true tactical softshells, all three are of the highest quality and are priced to match.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're going to end up paying out the ass, but Wild Things, Arc'teryx LEAF and Beyond Clothing are your friends. In terms of true tactical softshells, all three are of the highest quality and are priced to match.
View Quote

This. Sounds like you’re looking for one of the above OEMs low loft jackets.  

Quite a few years ago I found some close out WT outer wear pieces.  Turns out they were extras from like a Jordanian SF contract and Botach was blowing them out for $30-40 apiece.  I got a thin hooded softshell, a GTX rain shell and low loft jacket for nothing. All in OD green which was a dead match for our uniform gear.  A combo of the thin softshell and thin puff got me they many CO winter shifts.  I’ve been keeping an eye out on eBay for the multicam versions for my new agency.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe one of those heated jackets? Project farm just reviewed some. I’m sure there is a brand that comes in MC.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Wild Things just posted their 2021 winter clearance (40% off). Maybe there’s something there.

https://www.wildthingsgear.com/collections/clearance-sale
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:33:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I got an Arc'teryx LEAF Atom LT off the EE. It is more of a cold weather jacket. With 2 layers underneath in the weather we're having currently, below 10 the past couple days, 13 today, I'm more than fine if I'm moving around. Could use a good hard shell over the top if I'm not moving as much.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got an Arc'teryx LEAF Atom LT off the EE. It is more of a cold weather jacket. With 2 layers underneath in the weather we're having currently, below 10 the past couple days, 13 today, I'm more than fine if I'm moving around. Could use a good hard shell over the top if I'm not moving as much.
View Quote

I have an Atom LT jacket and while it’s a great jacket, it definitely isn’t the most rugged. The outer material is fairly thin. I’d look at some of the other Arcteryx LEAF jackets if rugged is a main concern.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
What's wrong with just layering with a level 3 and Level 4 or 5 PCU in OCP?

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I had been eyeing the Crye Loft jacket.  Anyone have personal experience with one?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's wrong with just layering with a level 3 and Level 4 or 5 PCU in OCP?

View Quote

The issued stuff I have is a bit ragged looking on top of my unit’s insistence that the OCP blouse must be worn as a layer within the ECWCS system (which it shouldn’t be, at least according to the official guidance I’ve seen concerning it’s use/wear).  

The addition of the blouse significantly adds to the bulk when combined with other layers, making wearing and working in gear less than ideal when it comes to comfort.

My hope was to find a single layer that would decrease bulk over the 3/4 or 3/5 combo while still providing moderate protection from the wind/cold.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a snugpak sleeka in multicam I used on a deployment, its pretty warm but I wouldn't say it's real water resistant.  Ive worn it in light rain and was fine though.

Kifaru has one ive heard good things about, no experience with it.

Wild things has a pro deal on expert voice for mil, BTW. Although I just checked and it was down, no idea for how long.

Snugpak Sleeka

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a snugpak sleeka in multicam I used on a deployment, its pretty warm but I wouldn't say it's real water resistant.  Ive worn it in light rain and was fine though.

Kifaru has one ive heard good things about, no experience with it.

Wild things has a pro deal on expert voice for mil, BTW. Although I just checked and it was down, no idea for how long.

Snugpak Sleeka

https://i.imgur.com/cixQlLk.jpg
View Quote

Thanks, I'll take a look at those as well.  Water resistance is certainly a consideration, but I'm not talking about standing outside in a downpour.  Most of the precipitation during the times I'll be wearing this will be frozen anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Civvy-made Gen 2 ECWCS outer coat:https://www.opticsplanet.com/tru-spec-h2o-proof-gen-2-parka.html?_iv_mens-clothing-size=extra-large&_iv_length-alpha=long&_iv_color=multicam&_iv_code=7Q-AWJ-ACU23-2026026

Along with matching fleece jacket: https://www.opticsplanet.com/tru-spec-truspec-polar-fleece-jacket.html?_iv_mens-clothing-size=extra-large&_iv_length-alpha=long&_iv_color=coyote&_iv_code=7Q-AJ4-CF232E79-2436026

I had to tinker with the snaps at the neck of the fleece jacket to get them to snap-in properly onto the outer shell.  This happened on one of two fleece jackets I bought.  No big deal.  I have this rig, and it works well.

Disclaimer: no financial interest.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I just wear a lvl 7 for anything under 35°. Under 15° I need a fleece or wool shirt.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a UF Pro fan. They offer a "Pro" program if you have an ID (CAC / LE etc...) Just grabbed a 2019 version of the Ace Winter Combat Shirt on closeout - been in the teens during the day and that thing is Gold. They have many jackets. They ship DHL and it gets to the Upper Mid-West in 3 days.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This will be for duty use, so needs to be durable.  Looking for something that’s a good combination of the Level 3 (fleece) and Level 4 (wind/rain shell) of the ECWCS.

- Needs to be available in Multicam/OCP
- Moderately insulated (enough for brief periods spent outside in cold ass ND.  I have the Level 7 for lengthy periods of time spent outside)
- Wind resistant/proof (wind is the biggest issue up here)
- Water resistant
- Prefer the least amount of bulkiness as possible, although that’s kind of a tradeoff with the whole “insulated” requirement.
- Hood not required, and I’d almost prefer one not be there to cut down on bulk/snagging when wearing a plate carrier/helmet.

Cost is really not a concern within reason.  Any ideas?  I’ve looked at a whole bunch of options, but really looking for personal experiences.
View Quote

BTW, If you have ~ 45+" Chest measurement - they still have 2019 Delta Ace Gen 2's in 3X and 4X (European numbers - I'm 6'1" ~225lb 47" Chest and like looser stuff, so 4X is perfect) for $170.

This meets your requirements to a "T". The only difference between the 2021 production, is they upgraded the face fabric to be a little quieter/tougher... for $113 more in MultiCam. Click on the bottom left one with the yellow "percentage" logo:

UF Pro Delta Ace 2019

Here's the head guy going over the jacket:

Armin - Delta Ace Gen 2

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like the Brits also like the Keela Belay jacket.  Has a Nato NSN, I think they're only sold in UK though.

Looks more like a Sleeka, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top