Love em..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meyerco 18 X-ray if you can find one.
View Quote

+1, great knife. The Kershaw Launch line is good too, I've had a 6 for several years now. Usually my EDC
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

154CM for that money is a good deal...
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you going to use it for?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. If you're like me, and just wanted an auto for the novelty and going to use it like a regular light-use folder, then get the Spyderco Autonomy 2. It's a great little big knife.
Cool auto
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

EDC
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks promising, thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
For EDC Kershaw Launch 5 is a good deal.

The Microtech LUDT is a nice knife too, but kind of pricey and hard to get since they make them in batches.  They tend to sell out quick too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My 'nicer' auto is an Infidel OTF.

I click-clack my Lightning OTF open and closed a lot during the work day; use it for opening letters, boxes, etc., and for boredom of course.  I highly recommend it for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ll go with Protech as my vote.  I have a TR-3, Magic Whiskers, and Newport that all get rotated in my EDC.  Great knives
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1, great knife. The Kershaw Launch line is good too, I've had a 6 for several years now. Usually my EDC
View Quote

I have a Kershaw Launch 6 that has inadvertently deployed in my pocket a couple times. Once it sliced my finger pretty good as I reached in. The button can get depressed if you carry anything else in your pocket. For this reason I went back to carrying my Blurr.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a Kershaw Launch 6 that has inadvertently deployed in my pocket a couple times. Once it sliced my finger pretty good as I reached in. The button can get depressed if you carry anything else in your pocket. For this reason I went back to carrying my Blurr.
View Quote

Years of EDC and that has never happened to me but I keep it in a pocket by itself. I don't want anything hindering me pulling and using it quickly if I need to. Plus the Launch 6 slices and stabs great and is fairly easy to sharpen.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Pro-Tech makes a very “torquey” and “snappy” side opener. Meaning it opens with a presence that many of the others don’t quite offer.

I’ll suggest add adding a Gerber 06 G-10 Tanto to your list. It’s not as snappy as a Pro-Tech, but it’s a bit more utilitarian.

OTFs aren’t ideal for daily use.

I own or have owned  Pro-Techs, Gerbers, Benchmades, Microtechs, Spydercos and various others. I own many Kershaws, but never an auto. Because of this thread I have one on the way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up going with a Pro-Tech TR-5 and all I can say is WOW! It opens with authority!

I’m a little disappointed in how sharp it is out of the box but that’s nothing I can’t take care of.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up going with a Pro-Tech TR-5 and all I can say is WOW! It opens with authority!

I’m a little disappointed in how sharp it is out of the box but that’s nothing I can’t take care of.
View Quote

They have AMAZING customer service. I had to send a TR-3 in because it wouldn't lock. I got my fixed TR-3 back, with a personalized CQC-7 sent in addition to the TR-3, my shipping money refunded, and two thank you cards. Lastly, they had received my knife on a Wednesday morning; I had a USPS tracking number by lunch. There's a little more to the story, but they're good people.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
You have chosen both a great and a terrible first auto.

Your choice is great because the defining factor for what makes an Auto an Auto, is what happens when you push the button. That snap, no one does it better.

Your choice is terrible because you have started with the best “snap.” You may search for a knife with some other factors that this one is missing, but if you go to a different maker the “snap” will be lacking.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a few Pro-Tech autos and they are superb as far as fit and finish; and yes, some fire off like a rocket.  One that doesn't get much attention but is actually a pretty solid working-auto is Gerber's 06 auto

My favorite Pro-Tech has got to be the "Magic 2 Whisper".  I had the very first one ever to be snapped open in Afghanistan...my humble claim to zero fame

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Protech is never a bad choice. I have kershaw launches , they are fine knives, but for EDC usage I’ve found them lacking in certain aspects. Mostly geometry. Example, my launch 1 , the blade edge is even with the grip, no stop.

I have a bunch of autos. I find assisted flippers more useful. Like ZT’s or other kershaw. For autos, a good OTF is hard to beat for one handed open and close.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#22]
My only auto, and my EDC, is a Piranha Predator.  Excellent CPM S30V steel that takes and keeps a super sharp edge.  It is difficult to sharpen without a diamond sharpener.  I LOVE the 4" blade.  It's not heavy and is easy to carry.  Has a very strong spring and great *shwack* when it opens.  You can see some reviews of various models on the Blade HQ YouTube videos. Piranha makes very good knives with good prices but aren't very well known because they don't really advertise for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:18:12 AM EDT
[#23]
What is a good website to order an auto from?  I'm in Texas and want to get a Gerber 06 but Knifecenter.com doesn't want to send me one over state lines because I'm not in the military.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Pvk vegas
Blade play in utah.
Ive bought from both no prob
Theres another in utah the name escapes me
Also check out southern edges
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pvk vegas
Blade play in utah.
Ive bought from both no prob
Theres another in utah the name escapes me
Also check out southern edges
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Blade hq
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Blade hq
View Quote

Thanks, ill check em out.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#28]
MT Cypher OTF ($$$).
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m thinking about getting a OTF auto. Who makes a cheapish one I can try out before I get into spending the bucks for a quality one? I want to try one out for awhile to see if it’s just a novelty. Or something I really want and can use.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’m thinking about getting a OTF auto. Who makes a cheapish one I can try out before I get into spending the bucks for a quality one? I want to try one out for awhile to see if it’s just a novelty. Or something I really want and can use.
View Quote

I can't link from work, but checkout Lightning OTFs.  Cheap in cost, but surprisingly solid users.  I have a few and they are nowhere as near as polished as my Michrotech's, but they're still a good entry level to see if they'll work for you.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I can't link from work, but checkout Lightning OTFs.  Cheap in cost, but surprisingly solid users.  I have a few and they are nowhere as near as polished as my Michrotech's, but they're still a good entry level to see if they'll work for you.

ROCK6
View Quote

Thank you for the recommendation.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top