Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2018 5:21:26 AM EDT
I'm looking for a quality, complete HEX driver set both SAE and metric...??
Typical sizes for firearms work.. Any recommendations..?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote
Brownells, MSC industrial, Enco or even Lowe's or Home Depot
I got a set years ago (US made) from the Depot never had a problem.

P.S. I would also get a set of Torx drivers some scope mounts are using them now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

P.S. I would also get a set of Torx drivers some scope mounts are using them now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two large sets that I got at Harbor Freight a couple of years ago for less than $20 bucks each on their sale and I have used them for everything, guns, cars, power saws,just about anything you can think of and they still look great and I have not had any problems with them, both came with their own stands, they sit on my bench next to my mill and lathe and just keep going.

My last set from Home Depot I twisted the heck of those and ended up throwing that set away , they were to soft and the shank would twist or bend on them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at bondhus. I have cheap chinese ones (don’t waste your money), craftsmen (ok), elkind (good), and bondhus (the best so far).

The cheap ones round over easily.

The huge craftsman set is ok, but just came in a bag. With long and short ones in every size imaginable it is a pain to keep organized. They stay out in my shop. They don’t round over, but seems to twist getting stuck fasteners loose.

The elkind ones in my work truck are good. No real complaints.

The bondhus are the cadilac. I got a ball end set for work. Then I got a ball end standard, a ball end metric, and a torx for my reloading room. They are priced close to the elkind, but they seem to be made of better steel or have a better heat treat.

Spend the $10-20 a set. For $40-60 you’re going to get standard, metric, and torx that will last a lifetime. I buy things at harbor freight, lowes, menards, etc. I have some snapon stuff, a lot of craftsman, husky, cobalt, etc. I generally go for the bang for my buck. I look at how much it will get used, if it’s something that has to work or can wait to be replaced, cost, quality, and judge according to that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Wera hex plus
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The brighter and shiner the weaker.

Palin old blackened steel that is correctly hardened is what you want.

I have a larger set from Brownell's and many additional tips in other 'odd' patterns.

When you see a set that is decent quality and do not recognize the tips just buy it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my Bondhus allen wrench set.  I've also heard Wera is good, but I haven't used them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Beware the famous warning.

DO NOT STARE INTO LASER WITH REMAINING EYE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top