Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2019 10:11:54 PM EDT
Looking for a non-pc based package system for a remote location.

Something that can be accessed remotely obviously, but also would like to be able to do administrative work remotely as well if possible.

Adjust settings, reboot, etc.

I have a nice pc based system with 14 cams at our residence, but all the seperate pieces won't make sense at the other more remote locsfion.

I started looking at hikvision stuff on Amazon, but would like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
My Reolink POE system meets those requirements. You can adjust a lot of settings on the smartphone app but you can adjust even more using a desktop computer program remotely.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Reolink POE system meets those requirements. You can adjust a lot of settings on the smartphone app but you can adjust even more using a desktop computer program remotely.
View Quote
Can the system be rebooted remotely?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it’s connected to the Internet then yes. Theoretically if the system was completely screwed up and couldn’t even connect to the Internet then I guess you couldn’t. But a solution to that is to have a Wi-Fi enabled smart plug  between the power cord for the system and your outlet. They cost about $30 if you want one that can work without an existing smart home hub. The advantage is you can remotely, through your Wi-Fi, disconnect the power to the system and then reconnect it. That should take care of any major issues.  Basically a remote equivalent of pulling the power cord and plugging it back in.

But I have two of these systems running at two separate locations for the last four months and I’ve never had to reboot the systems
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the plug suggestion.

That would take care of most my concern.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I should also say, when you do the set up you can set your system up to automatically reboot once per week. I have it do that on my system at a time in which I would be least likely to need to have a record. I want to say that maybe the reboot interrupts the video recording for 60 seconds or so.

The advantage and theory to this is that in occasional reboot should help clear any issues that come up periodically. However, if you were still concerned with it I would have that separate Wi-Fi enabled plug  so that no matter what goes on with the system, as long as you have Wi-Fi access you can “unplug it and plug it back in“.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top