Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2020 12:16:14 AM EDT
Going to get back to reloading and casting soon and want to find a new bullet. I like to find a 452 255 gr HP mold if it can also do solid that would also be great. If not that's fine there are cheap solid molds out there anyway.

I'm also looking for a 357 mold also not sure about weight yet as I have to see what is best for Hog but would like it to also be able to do HP and solid. I posted on the Hog hunting about what Gr 357 would be best and once I hear more I'll add what GR I'm looking for!

I do know I want 452 255 gr because as of now I have a 45 ACP hope to buy a 45 LC soon then if I want I can go to the 325 GR with that but still be able to use my hi-cap semi-auto with the 255 GR.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
NOE Molds

Al is good people and his hp molds can be fitted with different pins for solids.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a Lyman 155grn HP SWC .358 mold, but have not been able to use it yet.

If you're casting bullets for hunting hog I would suggest a hard cast 180 SWC over a 158grn lead HP.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
For .357 mag, I wouldn't go over 180 gr for hunting because velocities drop dramatically beyond that point, limiting penetration.

For 45 ACP, I don't understand why you want such a heavy bullet because your velocities will also drop dramatically over 230ish grains in such a low-pressure cartridge, limiting penetration. Do make sure you choose a bullet design that will feed and chamber in a semi-auto. Probably the best designed "soft" target cast bullet design is the 230 gr LFN from Lead Bullet Technologies (LBT).

Cast hollowpoints aren't the best first choice for hunting muscular game. Expansion limits penetration, and the best cast bullet designs for hunting "kill" as a function of bullet design coupled with shot placement and... penetration.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For .357 mag, I wouldn't go over 180 gr for hunting because velocities drop dramatically beyond that point, limiting penetration.

For 45 ACP, I don't understand why you want such a heavy bullet because your velocities will also drop dramatically over 230ish grains in such a low-pressure cartridge, limiting penetration. Do make sure you choose a bullet design that will feed and chamber in a semi-auto. Probably the best designed "soft" target cast bullet design is the 230 gr LFN from Lead Bullet Technologies (LBT).

Cast hollowpoints aren't the best first choice for hunting muscular game. Expansion limits penetration, and the best cast bullet designs for hunting "kill" as a function of bullet design coupled with shot placement and... penetration.
View Quote

The lead HP are not going to be for hunting. I just like having the HP option if I'm going to cast! Also the HP ones weigh less so I can use them for training.

Why I want the heavy round for the 45 acp is because there is load data out there for them and they have a hell of a lot of knock down power. Also soon going to buy a 45 LC and it will make a nice plinking round for it.

I understand shot placement is key that's why I'm looking for bullets I can cast. I'm sure the reflex sight will also help!
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You want the MP molds 452 HP mold. I've got it and it is absolutely awesome.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Comes with penta, circular HP and flat nose pins iirc.

This is the non lube groove version for powder coating.

Let me see if I can find you the link...

Edit: it's 200gr HP or 215gr solid so it might be light for your applications. MP molds has by far the best HP mold design, a sheer pleasure to cast with. Here's the link just in case you're interested.
https://www.mp-molds.com/product/10859/
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
for 357 mag on hogs, this would be a good choice

http://arsenalmolds.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=65

or the LEE

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-6-cav-mold-358-158-rf-

factory SNS 130, factory bayou or MBC 158, Lee 158, 358429

loaded up with a max load of 2400 or H110/win296

for JHP,  I just buy XTP's or similar

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]

I like it a lot might get one after I buy my 45 LC but feel it's going to be a little to heavy for the 45 acp. The HP would be the right weight but don't want HP for hogs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NOE Molds

Al is good people and his hp molds can be fitted with different pins for solids.
View Quote

Them or MP molds out of Europe.  

Brass is nice but I suggest aluminum for four gang molds and up.  

I have brass MP molds and Aluminum NOE molds.  Either are sweet molds to use.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
for 357 mag on hogs, this would be a good choice

http://arsenalmolds.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=65

or the LEE

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-6-cav-mold-358-158-rf-

factory SNS 130, factory bayou or MBC 158, Lee 158, 358429

https://i.imgur.com/O0yV3sI.jpg

loaded up with a max load of 2400 or H110/win296

for JHP,  I just buy XTP's or similar

View Quote

How is the recoil on the 170gr this is for a novice female also any load data for it for 38 spl?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How is the recoil on the 170gr this is for a novice female also any load data for it for 38 spl?
View Quote

38 = yes for the LEE 158

pretty sure my lyman cast book has 38sp data for the 358429

i’ll check whn i get home from work

recoil is dependent on powder

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top