Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2023 12:11:26 PM EDT
So, i have a winchester 1904 i acquired from my family a while ago. its probably my favorite 22 i own (due to memories). Against my better judgment i decided it would be cool to get it threaded and suppress it. So its at the local smith right now getting worked on.

I am looking at these suppressors for it:
-Q erector (i honestly cant believe im considering this knowing my disdain for Kevin)
-CGS hydra SS or AL

Heres the thing: I need it to be a skinny can so it can clear the irons. So 1" (or less). I played with an erector the other day and i was honestly impressed with my initial impressions. Right now im leaning towards the erector due to the weight and the SS blast baffle (i prefer to prioritize durability over weight, but it seems like i can sort of get away with both here with it being a SS blast baffle). id really like to get a mask and be done with it, but its starting to get old having to chase down OOS DA cans.

are there any other cans i should be looking at? IIRC ECCO makes a skinny 22 can? i know they post here a lot, i just know next to nothing about their cans.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's too bad no one makes a nice Ø1.00 OD can with a classic blued finish. That would look right at home on an old school plinker like yours.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

are there any other cans i should be looking at? IIRC ECCO makes a skinny 22 can? i know they post here a lot, i just know next to nothing about their cans.
View Quote

The Ecco Salamander was the first can I thought of for your application.

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/ecco-machine/silencers/rimfire/ecco-machine-salamander/
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/10/22/ecco-machine-salamander-rimfire/

Would this be your first rimfire can?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's too bad no one makes a nice Ø1.00 OD can with a classic blued finish. That would look right at home on an old school plinker like yours.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

i think this is as close as we are going to get:

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/hansohn-brothers/silencers/rimfire/hansohn-vidar22-rimfire-silencer/

id consider it as i know hansohn are good people, but id like to hear someone's firsthand experience with this can before i commit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

i figured someone would give me grief over this, but honestly i love shooting suppressed and i love this firearm.

im never going to get rid of it, so why not? if i even wanted to, i could toss a thread protector on it and it would look pretty close to factory configuration.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]

not my first rimfire can. i have a rex mg22 on a threaded bobcat and its fantastic. i thought about getting another one for this host, but i want to try something different. i already have 3 rex cans.

same thing here as the hansohn i posted. i dont mind supporting smaller companies, id just like to hear a few peoples first hand experience with this particular can. i read a short article on TFB yesterday on it and they said the tone wasnt as good as its larger brothers.

we mocked up a EA nyx mod 1 to see if a 1" can would clear and it did. so now i guess i need to decide if i want to go full skinny for more sight picture or if i can live with seeing a can right below the front sight bead.

thank you all, still open to other suggestions!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The AB Little Bird is .860" and super light. It's all aluminum though, so that may rule it out for you. I have one pending and it sounds quite nice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

not my first rimfire can. i have a rex mg22 on a threaded bobcat and its fantastic. i thought about getting another one for this host, but i want to try something different. i already have 3 rex cans.

same thing here as the hansohn i posted. i dont mind supporting smaller companies, id just like to hear a few peoples first hand experience with this particular can. i read a short article on TFB yesterday on it and they said the tone wasnt as good as its larger brothers.

we mocked up a EA nyx mod 1 to see if a 1" can would clear and it did. so now i guess i need to decide if i want to go full skinny for more sight picture or if i can live with seeing a can right below the front sight bead.

thank you all, still open to other suggestions!
View Quote

Good to know. If you already have a solind Rimfire can, which the Nyx is supposed to be, I say worry less about chasing dB's and get something you'll be happy with. If that's the quietest can possible, than go for it, but if something that doesn't block your sigts or featherweight would work better for you, go for that.

You posted the Hansohn Vidar and it's allegedly an AAC Element II clone. I have an Element II but would still love to pick up a Vidar down the road.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i figured someone would give me grief over this, but honestly i love shooting suppressed and i love this firearm.

im never going to get rid of it, so why not? if i even wanted to, i could toss a thread protector on it and it would look pretty close to factory configuration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just bustin your chops. I would personally buy a random 1904 to thread and keep the heirloom original but to each their own

Zero personal experience with it but my first thought was a Salamander
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You posted the Hansohn Vidar and it's allegedly an AAC Element II clone. I have an Element II but would still love to pick up a Vidar down the road.
View Quote
the way the knurling is done on the Vidar, I think it might have the right look for this project.

Someone should make faithful repros of the Maxim cans.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the way the knurling is done on the Vidar, I think it might have the right look for this project.

Someone should make faithful repros of the Maxim cans.
View Quote

Agreed. The slightly convex end cap is a classic look.

As far as Maxim reproductions, I don't know if any company is closer than AB Suppressors. That baffle looks to be traced off of a Maxim patent.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
i was considering the vidar (for the period correct look); i just couldnt find enough people personally using it, and i dont follow old AAC cans. that was just too big of a risk for me, so i went with the Hydra SS in black. i can get a great deal on it through my work.

thanks ya'll. i still want to buy 3 to 4 additional 22lr cans, i just really dont shoot that caliber that much (or have hosts for it). although its amazing how quiet it is!

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Go Maxim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top