Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2020 2:02:05 PM EDT
I’m looking to get a .22 rifle in the next few weeks and I am torn between a few options:

Standard ruger 10/22:  I will upgrade the trigger and eventually the barrel, and most likely the stock.

Ruger 10/22 take down:  my least preferred due to accuracy issues

Smith and Wesson 15/22:  it’s nice because it is light, and same feel as a standard AR

Dedicated 22 upper for an AR:  downsides are that is could be excessively heavy and I’m not sure about the accuracy potential.

Upgraded CZ 455:  I like the idea of accurizing a bolt action rifle for NRL22 matches

My primary requirements are accuracy, and shootability for teaching my son to shoot.  This will also be a gun that I take into the woods to shoot squirrels and what not, so carrying it around most be relatively comfortable (I know it is just a .22, but putting it on the side of a backpack for camping is the intent).  My “acceptable accuracy is under .75 inches at 50 yards.    What do you guys think?   Is the 10/22  really the gold standard that all others will try to live up to?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had many 10/22s and other self loading .22lr rifles. I have had a few bolters too, and the .22 I take out the most is my CZ452 (very similar to the 455).

It is light, accurate, can't/won't jam (not that 10/22s are bad), and it just shoots so damn nicely. As an added benefit I got the threaded model so you only hear the "click" of the firing pin when shooting suppressed subsonics.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several 22 rifles of all action types, but the two that see the most range and field time are a 1960s vintage Marlin Model 39 lever action, and a Ruger 10/22 with a Kidd trigger and a couple of other minor mods. Both guns are very accurate, 100% reliable, and just a pleasure to shoot. Hard to go wrong with either one. For teaching a youngster, I would go with the 10/22. Small enough and easy to handle. Control the ammo supply until they are capable enough to handle the responsibility of a loaded magazine. ymmv
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want an AR pattern .22, you could build a standard lower, and stick a Chiappa .22 upper on it.  I've got two configured with the older M4 style uppers (standard FSB/handguards) and they work great.  Hits steel at 100 yards reliably, both the stock mags and the BDM mags feed well.  I just have standard carry handles on the uppers.  (Which are plastic, but they

Other than that, the 10/22 is a great platform with a bazillion options.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't tried to measure the accuracy of my 10/22 takedown with the backpacker stock, but it's good enough to put rabbit in my stew pot and it still has the factory trigger. In fact, I haven't done anything to it. I think the takedown is an excellent idea and easy to pack and carry. Not a benchrest rifle but then again I'm not lugging a benchrest rifle around in the woods.

I taught my daughter to shoot with a Marlin 39a, but she does just fine with the 10/22 as well. I've been thinking of a bolt action like the Ruger American Rimfire, but I like my 10/22 takedown so much I'm not sure how much use another one would see.

I have a CZ 455 in 17HMR. Now that the 457 is out, I wouldn't buy a 455 with the cheap bottom metal and wonky safety.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger 10/22 is a good choice, lots of ‘upgrades’ if that is what you are looking for, but lots of do it yourself things to make the action and trigger smoother. Don’t know if it’s the ‘gold standard’, I think it became popular when a shooter called Chief AJ set a world record for shooting a record 40, 000+ aerial targets without a miss. Upside: magazines for faster reloads. Downside: magazines to lose in the woods. Price starting at $230 at Rural King.

A rifle not mentioned much is the Marlin model 60. Semi-auto 14 shot front tube fed, wood stock, currently at Rural King for $179. Has been in production since 1960. Not much if any aftermarket items for it, but has the classic look, and can be one of those lifetime guns that can be passed down to grandkids.

I mention Rural King because no local independent gun shops, and pawn shops are ridiculous high on used beaters.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Consider a Ruger precision rimfire, more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  Not too heavy.
You guys will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
My son likes shooting when the rifle fits him. 10/22 or 452/455 in a chassis or chopped down stock were both good. Short length of pull and vertical grip help a ton. Suppressed will make it even more enjoyable.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my 10/22 Takedown with the Backpacker stock. It’s by far the .22 that I shoot the most. I also love my Marlin 60, my 39a’s, and my CMMG conversion kit in an M4 clone. For a first rifle, 10/22 is hard to beat because of the aftermarket accessories.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Savage FV-SR and a rim fire can.

Accurate and Hollywood quiet with a can and subsonic ammo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]
My factory CZ 455 Trainer did this 5 shot group today. Not sure how many yards. Can't put it out any further until I clear some of the brush/woods out.

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a Savage B22 FVSR and a 10/22 backpacker takedown.  Both have been very reliable and are great suppressed.  I’m thinking of getting the TCR 22 next just because it has LRBHO.  It takes 10/22 mags and accessories as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 4:08:33 AM EDT
[#12]
S&P Outfitters out of Texas, sells 10/22 parts very affordably.

If the child is young, you can assemble a Charger pistol receiver trainer.
A BX trigger, and all the parts to finish it into a braced stock. With an adjustable LOP buffer tube. Perhaps a bipod.

It will be lightweight. Accurate, and adjustable for growth. Upgrade it through the years if you wish. The parts are super easy to sell on the EE.

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#13]
My favorite .22 of all time...the Marlin 60 that my grandpa passed down to me. Not as customizable as the venerable 10/22 and slow to load with it's tubular magazine, but laser accurate and enjoyable to shoot. Can typically be found under $200.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Tough list of requirements for one rifle.

Depending on the size of the kid if both he and the op are to shoot it a AR type with adjustable stock will be handy.

.75 @ 50yd is pushing it with anything but a good bolt or a tricked out 10/22 and then only with good target ammo.

Everyone is hot to replace barrels on 10/22s but the Ruger barrels are fairly decent and many of the aftermarket ones gain some accuracy with tighter chambers but those same tight chambers tend to degrade reliability.

I would recommend a 10/22 TD with a decent compact glass (so it still fits in the stock case)and a aftermarket trigger. After break in it will shoot CCI std or Wolf mt under 1" at 50 yard and maybe the .75 if you have a steady set of sandbags and good technique

If you already have a AR consider a ceiner type drop in conversion (about $200 to $250) It will shoot resonably well with standard velocity ammo after some break in.
Use whatever you have for optics and such and you are training up the son for the ar when he is ready.

Another way to go (if the kid is real small) is to by a plain jane 10/22,(even used) ,saw of the stock to fit the kid and then make it a project gun as he gets bigger.

Life is too short to only have one 22 rifle
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#15]
If I were looking to get my first 22lr I would start with the birch stock 10/22.  Light, compact, 100% reliable, cheap easy to find/load magazines, a design that doesn’t require your hand near the muzzle to load/unload, etc
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the CZ.  Semiauto 22 lr is a pain in the ass to maintain.  Due to the nature of the lube and priming and the straight blowback action you have to clean them constantly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top