Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2022 12:02:47 PM EDT
Looking to invest in a thermal optic and trying to narrow down what I should consider.

I know budget is the major factor so let's say sub- $3k and I'm open to new or used. Hog/varmint hunting is main purpose, rural security/detection (handheld) is second.

Some kind of clip-on or unit that rides in front of a daytime scope seems best though as I research I understand there may be major drawbacks to this kind of setup. So a rifle scope/optic that can be quick detached and used in the handheld role is also considered. I realize jack of all trades master of none applies here.

Here's my roughly prioritized attributes list for features I'm looking for:

- Detection range / image quality for ID and longer shots in open areas
- Battery life / external battery extensibility etc.
- Simplicity
- Robustness
- Flexibility (big plus if some kind of clip-on that can be QD mounted and used handheld or quickly placed in front of a scope or at least if a rifle optic that works decently as a handheld)
- Zoom range

Features I absolutely don't care about and would actually prefer not to have, and which would be a negative as I prefer a simpler unit and would not use these features:
- Video recording, video out, etc.
- Wifi, bluetooth, etc.
- Any kind of remote control
- Any other extra bells and whistles or additional digital ad-ons or connectivity

With this in mind, are there units out there I should consider?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yoter C is your huckleberry but is out of that price range. Keep in mind a lot of clip ons need an eyepiece attached to work as a magnified hand held so it's not just slap it on the rifle. The image through the clip on lens is functional but is more like 1x and is a little weird. There were used yoter C going for 4k but I think all the cool kids upgraded so the 2nd hand market kinda dried up.

As far as functionality put a lpvo in front of a lpvo and that will give you an idea of weight and handling. Also controls would be on the forward lpvo which is kinda awkward offhand.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given the budget you mentioned, Hogster C clip on probably the best choice.
View Quote

Thanks, surprised how few reviews of this I can find - appreciate the suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yoter C is your huckleberry but is out of that price range. Keep in mind a lot of clip ons need an eyepiece attached to work as a magnified hand held so it's not just slap it on the rifle. The image through the clip on lens is functional but is more like 1x and is a little weird. There were used yoter C going for 4k but I think all the cool kids upgraded so the 2nd hand market kinda dried up.

As far as functionality put a lpvo in front of a lpvo and that will give you an idea of weight and handling. Also controls would be on the forward lpvo which is kinda awkward offhand.
View Quote

This is all extremely helpful thanks for the considerations. Helpful to know the kinds of drawbacks I'm looking at.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:This is all extremely helpful thanks for the considerations. Helpful to know the kinds of drawbacks I'm looking at.
View Quote
The negatives of the Hogster C, along with most clip-ons, in this price range:

1. You are adding extra weight with two optics

2. You need to attach an eyepiece to use as a scanner

3. Focus of the thermal is in front of day optic so can be hard to adjust

4. You pay a lot more for equivalent specs

Many people when they think ease of operation think a clip-on makes this easier. It might be easier to move from day to night since you aren't removing your day optic but to go from scope to scanner a stand-alone thermal weapon sight is preferred. I admit clip-ons are not my personal favorite.

Based on what you listed, I would recommend the Hogster Vibe 35 if looking for new. However, since you state you don't need recording/WiFi and actually prefer if it didn't, I would potentially look for a used Hogster 35. There are more for sale than usual due to many wanting the new model with the bells & whistles. Bering doesn't care who the owner is. with their generous 4-year warranty, so there is no issue buying one used. The Hogster models have stood-up well to the test of time. I have used all Bering models manufactured in the last 4 years plus many other brands as I test thermals for Night Goggles. Feel free to PM and I will provide my cell number, and we can talk more in-depth on models if you like.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The negatives of the Hogster C, along with most clip-ons, in this price range:

1. You are adding extra weight with two optics

2. You need to attach an eyepiece to use as a scanner

3. Focus of the thermal is in front of day optic so can be hard to adjust

4. You pay a lot more for equivalent specs

Many people when they think ease of operation think a clip-on makes this easier. It might be easier to move from day to night since you aren't removing your day optic but to go from scope to scanner a stand-alone thermal weapon sight is preferred. I admit clip-ons are not my personal favorite.

Based on what you listed, I would recommend the Hogster Vibe 35 if looking for new. However, since you state you don't need recording/WiFi and actually prefer if it didn't, I would potentially look for a used Hogster 35. There are more for sale than usual due to many wanting the new model with the bells & whistles. Bering doesn't care who the owner is. with their generous 4-year warranty, so there is no issue buying one used. The Hogster models have stood-up well to the test of time. I have used all Bering models manufactured in the last 4 years plus many other brands as I test thermals for Night Goggles. Feel free to PM and I will provide my cell number, and we can talk more in-depth on models if you like.
View Quote

Also incredibly helpful; the clip-on negatives you've listed give me a lot of insight and also overlap with some of what GreenMushroom stated above, so that is looking to me like knowledgeable confirmation of what I should consider.

Will likely take you up on the offer to give you a call.

Let me add another consideration for role of the optic and for the sake of keeping this thread going because I can see it becoming a great reference based on these initial responses:  

If we add the requirement of multi-day packing / camping were that full loadout weight factor becomes even more critical; what are some thoughts about the best way to carry a little-to-no compromises daytime rifle and full multi-day backpacking/hunting load while also having a single thermal optic and scanner?  

I'm imagining this as an example approach: carrying one rifle lower with a lightweight daytime upper and optic and a second otherwise lightweight upper with thermal scope (so the daytime setup never has its optic removed in the field for greater confidence in much longer range shots).  

Have guys had good consistent experience with certain specific QD mounts with a thermal unit like the Hogster 35 or other standalone thermal weapon sight where you would utilize it by starting out in the detached handheld scanning role and then relatively quickly and repeatably/accurately attaching it to rifle in field conditions for the final stock and shot on a hog?  

If this approach is viable, it sounds like it may be the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also incredibly helpful; the clip-on negatives you've listed give me a lot of insight and also overlap with some of what GreenMushroom stated above, so that is looking to me like knowledgeable confirmation of what I should consider.

Will likely take you up on the offer to give you a call.

Let me add another consideration for role of the optic and for the sake of keeping this thread going because I can see it becoming a great reference based on these initial responses:  

If we add the requirement of multi-day packing / camping were that full loadout weight factor becomes even more critical; what are some thoughts about the best way to carry a little-to-no compromises daytime rifle and full multi-day backpacking/hunting load while also having a single thermal optic and scanner?  

I'm imagining this as an example approach: carrying one rifle lower with a lightweight daytime upper and optic and a second otherwise lightweight upper with thermal scope (so the daytime setup never has its optic removed in the field for greater confidence in much longer range shots).  

Have guys had good consistent experience with certain specific QD mounts with a thermal unit like the Hogster 35 or other standalone thermal weapon sight where you would utilize it by starting out in the detached handheld scanning role and then relatively quickly and repeatably/accurately attaching it to rifle in field conditions for the final stock and shot on a hog?  

If this approach is viable, it sounds like it may be the way to go.
View Quote

I am very interested to hear which mounts/thermals have the best return to zero.  I want to be able to detach/reattach optics as needed.  I know my daytime optics return to zero perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am very interested to hear which mounts/thermals have the best return to zero.  I want to be able to detach/reattach optics as needed.  I know my daytime optics return to zero perfectly.
View Quote

The names in thermal qd are the same as optics. ADM, Bobro, LaRue etc. You just have to find out who makes what for the thermals you're looking at. I believe the yoter scopes have a LaRue option. My yoterC is based off the rico and takes an ADM rico mount. Nvision and triji are acog rails etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the best deal going on right now.   With the code, it drops to $2700 for a 640 unit.   There is a big thread on the 'Hide with user feedback.

Steiner C35
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is the best deal going on right now.   With the code, it drops to $2700 for a 640 unit.   There is a big thread on the 'Hide with user feedback.

Steiner C35
View Quote

Thanks for this - checking it out. 640 would sure be nice right?  One thing I'm noticing is battery listed looks really low. That might be a major downside for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Steiner C35
View Quote
Holy hell thanks for this.  It was just last week or the week before Down Range didn't even list them now this week with that code (AND the Steiner rebate?) I pulled the trigger.  I know the thing is chonky but I've been researching for over a year now and that has to be the best performance you can get for $2450 after rebate.

Trigger pulled.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks for this - checking it out. 640 would sure be nice right?  One thing I'm noticing is battery listed looks really low. That might be a major downside for me.
View Quote
From what others have said they utilize a higher mAH battery pack if the run time is too low.  USB C iirc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for this thread;  just pulled the trigger on a C35.
Couldn't resist the discounted price!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Did I miss the code on the Steiner?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
DownRangeThermal shows 15 in stock.

DRT
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Given the budget you mentioned, Hogster C clip on probably the best choice.
View Quote

NI. What I came to say.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I've decided to stop being poor and bought a C35.  Do you need an adapter between thermal and daytime optic?  Burris seems to be the only game in town, $177 seems steep for what it is
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#19]
It does not come with an adapter, only the pic mount.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've decided to stop being poor and bought a C35.  Do you need an adapter between thermal and daytime optic?  Burris seems to be the only game in town, $177 seems steep for what it is
View Quote
It comes with a pic rail mount so no adapter is required if you intend to rail mount.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It comes with a pic rail mount so no adapter is required if you intend to rail mount.
View Quote

Yeah just hooked it up, seems to work fine.  Never had a clip on so I didn’t know if the shroud was required, doesn’t seem to be
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#22]
No it is not.

Honestly, I wouldn’t want to hang that kind of weight off my optic objective anyways - you’re talking as much or more weight than most scopes themselves and cantilevering it off the front of he objective…

Sounds like a good way to end up with a damaged thermal AND scope with a drop or fall or bump.

Rail mount all the way (when possible).
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn good price... have it in my cart now, but wondering if the weight at 35 oz with battery is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Pulled the trigger after reading the thread on the hide.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Steiner C35
View Quote

What Code?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Aren't clip on's more money than stand alones?  Get ADM Recon mounts so you can switch to a normal scope.  I've got both showing up tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top