Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2018 12:32:54 AM EDT
My buddy just grabbed one...still waiting for him to pick it up, but it got me wondering how many people out there have one and what they think about the sound suppression, tone, and blowback?

I’d be using it on a MK18, 11.5”, and 16” in 5.56.

This will be my first can...I’ve gone round and round between the SpecWar K, Saker K, M4SD K, M4SD II, Socom RC, and M4-2000.  Now I’m on to the Sandman ever since talking with my buddy about it.

Any input on it is appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#1]
You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one in jail. I'm not looking for or expecting crazy quiet. Just wanted something short and light to put on the end of a heavy x39 AR to take the bite off.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered one for my BCM 11.5" months ago - not sure yet if it will live on there on not. My BCM currently wears an AAC SDN6 and it works fairly well - is it heavy and somewhat long...yes, but its reasonably quiet and built like an absolute tank. That was my first silencer in 2015 - I bought it because of the previous years NRA annual meeting I had attended and picked up a cool poster from AAC showing their 300 blk AR w/ the SDN6....so I just had to have it. If I were you, I'd suggest getting a Sandman-S first because its a better overall performer from all I've read. In reality though you can't go wrong with whatever you chose because all cans have their drawbacks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one in jail. I'm not looking for or expecting crazy quiet. Just wanted something short and light to put on the end of a heavy x39 AR to take the bite off.
View Quote
Same here. I already have other 5.56 and 308 silencers. I wanted something short and light to take the bite off, as you said.
A friend has the AAC Mini-4 and it works great for what it is. I wanted similar, but in 308 for 300BLK and 5.56 usage.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
For a first can, I’d go with something else.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My K is in jail but I have been extremely impressed with my Mini 4 on a dedicated AK74.

I bought the K to help the concentricity margin of error with the 24x1.5 front sight block on some of my other 74s. I also wanted to be able to try out the Dead Air mounting system, to test the K on my AK103 (or possibly my Tiger) and to see how good the lower back pressure claims are

I have other full-size cans in process as well but I am a huge fan of the Mini 4 size and am very happy with the compromise between Db and agility. It does a great job and I'm expecting the K to be as good

Z
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
What others said.  Go with something else for your first can
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
It is NOT hearing safe IMHO.  It is even worse on a SBR.

http://www.recoilweb.com/because-fk-your-flame-dead-air-flash-hider-endcaps-133382.html
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with an S if it's your first, I prefer my S on my 10.3/11.5 over the K as it's super loud (indoor's only currently since still in jail). K work's a lot better on my 13.7/16 gun's.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What others said.  Go with something else for your first can
View Quote
Hoping to keep it under 6.5”, but still have good dB reduction...what other can would you suggest if not the Sandman K?  M4SD II or K? SpecWar K or Saker K?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hoping to keep it under 6.5”, but still have good dB reduction...what other can would you suggest if not the Sandman K?  M4SD II or K? SpecWar K or Saker K?
View Quote
Your going to have to compromise a little bit, any short can is going to be pretty loud.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How's about the Griffin Recce 5?

Also take into account that your hosts are inherently loud, especially a Mk18 or 11.5" 5.56 AR.  The best metering/sounding/performing cans will take the edge off of them, but they're still gonna be really loud.
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How's about the Griffin Recce 5?

Also take into account that your hosts are inherently loud, especially a Mk18 or 11.5" 5.56 AR.  The best metering/sounding/performing cans will take the edge off of them, but they're still gonna be really loud.
View Quote
Yeah, I finally realized that after doing a bunch of reading.  That’s why I was looking at the M4SD line and the SpecWar K.  Seemed like they were the best mix of good sound reduction and shorter length.

Recce 5 is a good option...I know I’ll probably get killed for this but I’m not a big fan of the taper mount.  I like the gate style or something that’s got a locking mechanism.  POI shift isn’t one of my top concerns for a can...dBs, length, and blowback are my main concerns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Have you looked at the Rugged Micro 30?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I agree. Maybe go with the S instead of the Sandman-K.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For a first can, I'd go with something else.
I agree. Maybe go with the S instead of the Sandman-K.
This, or the best of both worlds with the Rugged Micro 30.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, I finally realized that after doing a bunch of reading.  That’s why I was looking at the M4SD line and the SpecWar K.  Seemed like they were the best mix of good sound reduction and shorter length.

Recce 5 is a good option...I know I’ll probably get killed for this but I’m not a big fan of the taper mount.  I like the gate style or something that’s got a locking mechanism.  POI shift isn’t one of my top concerns for a can...dBs, length, and blowback are my main concerns.
View Quote
The M4SD did VERY well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Naw, no worries, you're the one that buying this thing and you're gonna have to live with it, so it's very important that you're happy with it.  Everyone has their own personal preference with mounting systems and whatnot, some options are better than others, I don't think any of them are completely and total unusable for most people.

Also, have you listened to/shot suppressed 5.56 out of a short barrel in person yet?  I just wanted to make sure that you know what you're in for, and to not set your sights too high as to what the end result will be.

Like you say you're looking to keep it under 6.5", and as others have said, it's a compromise.  Smaller K-style cans are cool and all, but they're also generally louder than their larger/full size counterparts.  You also have to contend with port noise with an AR, the report of the shot can be pretty good at the muzzle with some cans, but the pop from the ejection port during cycling can be pretty rowdy.  Or vice versa, with a lower back pressure design, from the shooter's end everything is awesome, but on the muzzle end or to bystanders, it's not as quiet as some other designs.

Along with that, are you dead set on a 5.56 can for your first one?  Do you own anything bigger that you might want to suppress in the future?  Or have any plans of getting any other caliber in the future?
View Quote
I haven’t actually heard anything suppressed in person, which is why I’ve had such a hard time deciding!  There aren’t any ranges around here that have any, and none of my buddy’s have one...yet.  I feel like it would make it mucch easier to make a decision if I could hear/shoot a few of them to hear the differences.

All I know is I want it as quiet as I can get without making my SBR longer than my 16” middy.

I should have just grabbed a SpecWar K when I had the chance.  Feel like it was the best of both worlds.

As for going non-5.56, I don’t really have any desire/use for a .30 cal can.  I don’t have anything to put it on that needs it, I sacrifice sound reduction on 5.56, and typically add a little weight compared to a dedicated 5.56 can.  However, if I was to find one that gave me the results I was looking for on 5.56, I wouldn’t be opposed!
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#21]
The Sandman-K is a .30 cal suppressor.  You can use it on 5.56 but it's designed as a .30 cal can.  I bought one.  Haven't shot it yet, it's waiting on the stamp.  I don't have the urge to go to the store and try it.  I'll just wait.
I have my old AAC 762SDN6 and the old Specwar 556.  I use the Specwar on my 10.5" 5.56 SBR and it's okay.  I can shoot it outside without ears.  Indoors, it's the echo off the walls that bother me.
The AAC is doing work on my .300blk and 6.5Grendel SBRs.   I bought the Sandman-K to dedicate to my 7.5" 300blk to knock the edge off because I plan on making it my next patrol rifle.
I know it's not going to be quiet, but it will help and still be maneuverable indoors and around vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Trying to determine the quietness of suppressors on an indoor range is kind of a waste of time. The echos and bullet impacts are quite loud, even with a 22lr..

These K cans were designed to keep 16” barreled rifles as short as possible but once you start putting them on SBR’s they start to become much less effective for sound and flash suppression.

My strategy is to shoot for an 18”-20” overall barrel/suppressor length to allow for a longer can or less flash from a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone try the Sandman K with the 5.56 flash hider end cap?  That Recoil Mag article suggests it much less flashy.

OP, if you're looking for under 6.5", don't forget the SF SOCOM RC (1 or 2) is only 6.2".
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone try the Sandman K with the 5.56 flash hider end cap?  That Recoil Mag article suggests it much less flashy.

OP, if you're looking for under 6.5", don't forget the SF SOCOM RC (1 or 2) is only 6.2".
View Quote
I’ve been circling back around to the SF Socom at UA...but the suppression numbers on it just don’t do it for me.  I don’t expect super quiet, but one of the main reasons I want a suppressor is for dB reduction, so it’s hard to spend more money on something that measures at the bottom of dB reduction for its size.

I should have grabbed the SpecWar K when I had the chance...I feel like it was the best at everything I was looking for.  The Griffin M4SD II and M4SD K are also high on my list based on what I’m looking for...just haven’t heard many positive things about their CS.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:06:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’ve been circling back around to the SF Socom at UA...but the suppression numbers on it just don’t do it for me.  I don’t expect super quiet, but one of the main reasons I want a suppressor is for dB reduction, so it’s hard to spend more money on something that measures at the bottom of dB reduction for its size.

I should have grabbed the SpecWar K when I had the chance...I feel like it was the best at everything I was looking for.  The Griffin M4SD II and M4SD K are also high on my list based on what I’m looking for...just haven’t heard many positive things about their CS.
View Quote
I'm going to recommend the Sandman-S for you.  It sounds very similar in muzzle performance to SpecWar K but with less blowback (and ringing of your ears) and a deeper tone.  It only adds 4.23" to the overall length of the gun (from the end of the muzzle device).  The K only adds 2.8".  The -S will give you a ton of versatility down the road and it's a fantastic all around can.

The -K is very purpose built.  It's designed to knock off the major concussion that hits the shooter.  If you have a really good gas system that doesn't open the bolt early, aaaaand it's on 16"+ rifle, you'll find it's surprisingly good for the shooter.  What you notice is a deep boom that bounces back from downrange.  Having said that, it's coming from a very experienced suppressor user.  On an SBR, the "washback" effect from the muzzle report is still up there, so it could be disappointing as a first can.  But, for it's size, it's fantastic on a duty rifle or something like an FN FAL that is brutal no matter what suppressor you have on it--and it helps keep the rifle from beating itself up.

Todd Magee
Chief Nerd, Dead Air Silencers
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Trying to determine the quietness of suppressors on an indoor range is kind of a waste of time. The echos and bullet impacts are quite loud, even with a 22lr..

These K cans were designed to keep 16” barreled rifles as short as possible but once you start putting them on SBR’s they start to become much less effective for sound and flash suppression.

My strategy is to shoot for an 18”-20” overall barrel/suppressor length to allow for a longer can or less flash from a longer barrel.
View Quote
While it performs much more acceptably on a longer barrel,  The Sandman-K was very purposely built for SBRs.  The washback effect of the muzzle sound is a real factor, but it's purpose built to make it just manageable for the shooter while keeping the length down as much as possible to match purpose the rifle.  It's really meant for duty rifles or purpose built short applications.  As mentioned above, I was amazed in development how well it can do on a longer barrel with a good gas system.  The Sandman-S is super good with low back-pressure, and with less baffles in it, the Sandman-K has to do even better.  Overly-gassed ARs (like Daniel Defense) may still have a knack for opening the action too soon--even with the -K.

But in the end it shines on an SBR that's sitting there waiting to be grabbed for that lifesaving shot or critical hunting shot.

It was asked if the flash hider front caps work well.  They really do a great job considering the amount of work to be done.  On an SBR you'll typically observe some light licks of flame reaching out from the 3 slots in the cap.  It's night and day.  Or... day and night, I guess.

Todd Magee
Alpha Nerd, Dead Air

ETA:

Here are some screen grabs from some slo-mo video.  There are a lot of factors (ammo, barrel length, 556 vs 762 cap, lighting, etc.)  These stills capture pretty well what you'd observe.

Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm going to recommend the Sandman-S for you.  It sounds very similar in muzzle performance to SpecWar K but with less blowback (and ringing of your ears) and a deeper tone.  It only adds 4.23" to the overall length of the gun (from the end of the muzzle device).  The K only adds 2.8".  The -S will give you a ton of versatility down the road and it's a fantastic all around can.

The -K is very purpose built.  It's designed to knock off the major concussion that hits the shooter.  If you have a really good gas system that doesn't open the bolt early, aaaaand it's on 16"+ rifle, you'll find it's surprisingly good for the shooter.  What you notice is a deep boom that bounces back from downrange.  Having said that, it's coming from a very experienced suppressor user.  On an SBR, the "washback" effect from the muzzle report is still up there, so it could be disappointing as a first can.  But, for it's size, it's fantastic on a duty rifle or something like an FN FAL that is brutal no matter what suppressor you have on it--and it helps keep the rifle from beating itself up.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/557/19797036699_603fa0d44d_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4615/38465345920_db33789051_z.jpg

Todd Magee
Chief Nerd, Dead Air Silencers
View Quote
Thank you for your responses, Todd!  Awesome information.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The SpecWar K sounds the “best” to me given length/sound comprise of my cans on a 5.56 SBR.  Noticeably more pleasant than my Saker K. Alas, the SpecWar K is discontinued. My Rugged Razor seems pretty comparable to the SpecWar K.  Currently waiting on a Sandman K, but I expect it to perform similar to the Saker K.  I personally wouldn’t get a super short K can as a first.  It would be somewhat disappointing for most folks as a first suppressor.

Were I looking for my first can right now, I’d get the Rugged Micro 30 without question. It’s basically a Rugged Razor and short K can all in one.  So you can still have decent dB reduction or just knock the edge off when you want, and not be stuck with just one or the other.   I still might get one down the line if they have a deal on them. Really don’t need another one at this point.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:13:17 AM EDT
[#30]
The flash hider end caps work very well for the S and K for anything 556 even up for 16".

I didn't know much of a difference for the 30cal flash hider caps using 300blk with subs and supers though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#31]
For comparison, Rugged Micro 30 v. DA Sandman K & S:

Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:49:44 AM EDT
[#32]
The K works great for taking the blast and concuson out of a short setup. Is it quiet- nope; but it is a lot quieter than an unsuppressed gun.  The 7.5” with the K is as short as a 10.5” unsuppressed gun. As long as you buy with the right intentions you will be very happy with the K; if it’s your first suppressor and you want something quiet; pay a little more and get the S.

Here is the S vs K on my 7.5” 5.56 and 10.5” 5.56. It would work great on a 300 Blk PDW also

https://youtu.be/cevsXTH_xdk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top