Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2018 9:13:13 PM EDT
Hi guys, been a long time since I have turned to a topic I really know nothing about and asked for help, but when I was new to the AR world, I received a ton of valuable information, so here I am again.

After dabbling in just about every aspect of AR's, the MP5 bug has bit me bad!  To be honest, I have looked at a ton of pictures, but really have zero knowledge about the platform.  I was hoping to get some input from those guys who have been there done that.

There are a few things that I think I have narrowed down at this point, so maybe that will make suggestions and advice easier.

1) I believe I want to go with Zenith

2) I eventually want to SBR this clone, and add a can (Omega 9??)

3) I want to put a T2 on top (I cant tell if I need to order it with a top rail if this is a desire, or if I can add a rail later, maybe even one of better quality or lower profile than is included)

4) I want the collapsible stock (Again, I think?  - open to suggestion)

Just wanted to get as much input as possible so I don't dive down this rabbit hole and realize I should have done something different.

Thanks so much in advance for the help!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]

1) I believe I want to go with Zenith

I have a Zenith Z-5P and find it to be an excellent example of the MP5k-PDW.  I also own a MP5k-PDW registered receiver machine gun and to be honest its hard to tell them apart just by looking.

Put a Franklin Binary trigger on it and it sounds just like my full auto one with a two shot burst ambi trigger group on it.

2) I eventually want to SBR this clone, and add a can (Omega 9??)

Got one on the k and it looks and sounds good.  Filed the Form 1 and made it a SBR shortly after I got it.  Think I have a pic, will post if I find it.

3) I want to put a T2 on top (I cant tell if I need to order it with a top rail if this is a desire, or if I can add a rail later, maybe even one of better quality or lower profile than is included)

My shooting buddy has a couple different ones but can't say I like red dots.  I think I prefer the M-lok forearms the Midwest has for the MP5 and K's more than I like rails on the top of

the receiver --- more a matter of personal preference just don't like the look of the rail on the top of the weapon.

4) I want the collapsible stock (Again, I think?  - open to suggestion)

Collapsible stocks look cool but frankly I don't find them that comfortable to shoot.  The fixed stock is much more comfortable.

Just wanted to get as much input as possible so I don't dive down this rabbit hole and realize I should have done something different.

These are just one persons opinions so your impressions and likes could be completely different.
Thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a TPM.

See my avatar.

Have them weld a top rail on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The collapsible stock is nice, so is the A2. You will end up with both at some point and swap them around. At least that’s where I ended up. Some days the A2 feels right and others the A3.

IIRC, the zenith comes with a top rail attachment.

You could also consider a KAC setup.  

Link to thread.

PIC from thread (not mine):

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with PTR 9CT.

They are 100% USA made. No parts to change out when you SBR it to make it 922r complaint ( huge money saver). The mags are the only non-USA made parts. The fit and finish is far better then most. Do your own research on the web. They are very well liked. No one has report a problem with them.

They come with a welded scope rail. And they come with a MLOK handguard. And if you buy one from Atlantic Arms they have been throwing in a free SB brace. a $200 value.

I prefer to spend my money with a USA company.

I personally took the MLOK handguard off and installed a wide forearm.

Attachment Attached File

I even changed it more now. I changed the lower to a clipped and pinned HK SEF and added the Surefire forearm.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The most comfortable folding stock is the B&T for that platform.  
I own an a collapsible, a full and a B&T. Choate makes a side colder like the B&T.
It costs less and folds to the left rather than right side of the weapon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go with PTR 9CT.

They are 100% USA made. No parts to change out when you SBR it to make it 922r complaint ( huge money saver). The mags are the only non-USA made parts. The fit and finish is far better then most. Do your own research on the web. They are very well liked. No one has report a problem with them.

They come with a welded scope rail. And they come with a MLOK handguard. And if you buy one from Atlantic Arms they have been throwing in a free SB brace. a $200 value.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66213/20180503_155518-550875.JPG

I even changed it more now. I changed the lower to a clipped and pinned HK SEF and added the Surefire forearm.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66213/20180519_0843001-550876.JPG
View Quote
Pretty much this post. I have a Zenith and it’s nice, but 922r becomes a problem if you are going to SBR.

I am partial to the A2 stock, but the A3 stock feels good too sometimes. I go back and forth. Overall, given your stated plans, go with the PTR or the Omega.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Get with Jeff Walters aka Ghilliebear from Parabellun Combat Systems.   He can build you what you want for a price close to these others.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I would get the Zenith/MKE. If you aren't ever getting a registered sear then it's perfect. The price and quality are good.

I would SBR it and not worry about 922(r) personally, but due to a technicality it can never be a problem for me. It's extremely unlikely to ever be a problem for you either.

I prefer the A3 stock for compact transport, but the A2 is a little better on the range. I've got no complaints about firing with the A3 stock though. The B&T stocks are a great compromise, but then of course you lose the classic look. I have to take pliers and squeeze the sheet metal at the rear end of my old SW5 receiver to keep my A3 stock super tight every couple of years. No big deal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go with PTR 9CT.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66213/20180503_155518-550875.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66213/20180519_0843001-550876.JPG
View Quote
This OP.  I am in the same boat as you and this PTR is what I am going to buy.  I plan on SBR'ing it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I would get a zenith or have Ghillie build you a clone. The finish on the PTR looks off, engraving looks poorly done, unknown durability of there own US made parts and the receiver tabs on the top where the claws attach are not machined. If you get an A3 pick up a used A2 stock on the cheap for all day shooting or a B&T stock which is the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#12]
The zenith will come with a rail that can be mounted.  On my Z5p, I did think the rail did get in the way a bit when charging.  (It was a very minor complaint.  It would have been fine to leave as it, and a low profile rail would have probably solved my complaint, but I ended up getting an RMR instead, and it mounts where the rear sight would normally go.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would get a zenith or have Ghillie build you a clone. The finish on the PTR looks off, engraving looks poorly done, unknown durability of there own US made parts and the receiver tabs on the top where the claws attach are not machined. If you get an A3 pick up a used A2 stock on the cheap for all day shooting or a B&T stock which is the best of both worlds.
View Quote
PTR has a lifetime warranty.
It has a welded on scope rail so it will not even need a claw mount.
As for the engraving it looks nice to me as well as the finish.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Go all the way and find a '94 somewhere then send it off to one of the several great HK gunsmiths out there.  This will be a centerpiece of your collection that you'll never let go and nothing beats having a genuine HK.  I'm not just trying to spend your money- this is what I did as well and I don't regret it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a chance to break in my PTR 9TC this weekend.  Shoots like a dream - as good or better than any HK factory gun from my previous life.  The fit and finish are incredibly well done with clean welds and great lock up.  Not a single hiccup in the initial 400 rounds of Super Vel 9mm.  It groups tight.  The two included mags are flawless.  I also ran six German HK mags through it with no problem.

Here she is in current configuration.  I may decide to SBR later, but I'll bet SB Tactical is working on an A5 style retractable brace like they did with the MPX.  If that happens, then there's no reason to pay $200.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76469/IMG_0634-551421.jpg
View Quote
Looks good!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. Lots to think about.

Just out of curiosity, is there really that many registered sears out there? They have to be crazy expensive?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]
There are not very many pre-1986 "transferable" registered sears out there. Yes, they are crazy expensive.

Plenty of MGs have been registered since May 19, 1986 but unfortunately normal people in the U.S. aren't allowed to own them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. Lots to think about.

Just out of curiosity, is there really that many registered sears out there? They have to be crazy expensive?
View Quote
Probably start at $25,000+
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Closer to $30,000+
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top