Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2018 4:23:48 PM EDT
Hello all. So I have been saving for a bit now and am at the point where I can drop some money on some gear and a new rifle. Bulk of the money I saved is going for night vision. However, I have a few extra bucks for a rifle. Was thinking about getting something in 308 in an AR configuration. Decided the scar is not for me. Was looking at dd5v1 or colt 901. Trying to stay around 2500ish and unloaded weight of the rifle be under 9lbs. Any opinion on these rifles? Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a Sig 716 which is a great shooter.  Short stroke pushrod operating system, free floating barrel, aluminum quad rail forend , telescoping stock, and Magpul furniture.  With tax around $2.2k for FDE,  shop around could find it cheaper or wait for sale, but 9.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you need to spend a bunch to get a good AR10. I have the S&W M&P10. It eats everything I feed it, is accurate as hell and only weighs 8 lbs.
Sure, some parts are proprietary but I don't think that's uncommon in an AR10.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t mind spending money to get a reliable gun. Would like chrome bore as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello all. So I have been saving for a bit now and am at the point where I can drop some money on some gear and a new rifle. Bulk of the money I saved is going for night vision. However, I have a few extra bucks for a rifle. Was thinking about getting something in 308 in an AR configuration. Decided the scar is not for me. Was looking at dd5v1 or colt 901. Trying to stay around 2500ish and unloaded weight of the rifle be under 9lbs. Any opinion on these rifles? Any other suggestions?
View Quote
Just buy an Aero M5E1 for way less than $2500 and call it a day.

In fact, get one in 6.5 creedmoor.

There is a pretty big 6.5 creedmoor thread that has a bunch of nice rifles in it. Might want to check that out. Anything that's available in 6.5 will be available in 308.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Official-6-5-Creedmoor-AR-Discussion-Photo-Thread/121-713912/
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think you need to spend a bunch to get a good AR10. I have the S&W M&P10. It eats everything I feed it, is accurate as hell and only weighs 8 lbs.
Sure, some parts are proprietary but I don't think that's uncommon in an AR10.
View Quote
This. I’ve got two, an 18” barreled one in .308 and a 6.5 Creedmore one. The .308 has been run hard in 3-gun matches. It’s fairly accurate and has taken a beating with cheap ammo. I have yet to break in the Creedmore as I won it and haven’t had a chance to get an optic for it yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm real impressed with the SR762.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Psa has AR-10 for $600 ish.  I bought a DPMS oracle for $700 ish.  Have 1500 into it now with hanguard and scope, sling PG and bi pod.  Over 3k rounds and she shoots.  I only have a 100 yd range though.  If I were going to spend over 2k scar 17 it would be.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t mind spending money to get a reliable gun. Would like chrome bore as well.
View Quote
LMT's MWS or LM8. Both are 7.62 MRP rifles, and both accept the common and affordable SR-25 type .308 mags, such as those that Magpul makes. For that reason I'd recommend avoiding any .308 AR that uses only the maker's  proprietary mags.

I have the LM8 and can run it with either the 16" C/L barrel or the 18" SS SPR barrel.  I run both set-ups suppressed.

Theoretically, the LM8 is a bit lighter due to the omission of rails on the forend at the 3, 6, and 9-o'clock points. But you have the option to add modular railage as needed, say, for a bipod, light, or foregrip.

The Brits adopted the MWS after extensive field trials involving a number of different 7.62 gas guns.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an Armalite DEF10 and a S&W MP-10.

Both are under 9 lbs, both are very accurate, and both have been 100% reliable.

ETA - Both work with Magpul, DPMS, Fulton Armory, and Remington 7.62 AR mags.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a DPMS GII.  The Recon model.  Stainless steel barrel. Around 8 lbs.

I've changed the handguard, gas block and butt stock.  Only malfunction was a failure to feed correctly on a round from the third SA battle pack.  Brass ejected, next round didn't get picked up from the magazine, had one bullet hole 2" below the others at only 25 yds.  I assumed it was a weak round.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#12]
The Daniel Defense rifle is a fine choice I would buy anything from them with confidence.  Myself I went the SCAR 17s route but I do plan to add an AR10 to the family but I am looking at building or a LaRue OBR or tOBR but that is out of your price bracket.  Knights Armament makes great 7.62 rifles as well but I think they are going to be out of your price bracket.  If you have a line on the DD rifle in your price bracket I would go for it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a few more to add to the list after doing some research. I like the the DD, colt, aero and Armalite. I know the DD is the most expensive but I like DD. Great company
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top