Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2018 8:04:38 PM EDT
I am looking at picking up my first suppressor....I have experience with only Gemtech's Trek can as I have one on my work gun...

I am looking hard at the Dead Air Sandman K...Reasons why are as follows: Small, QD, good reviews on Return to Zero (As it will be used on two diff rifles). Noise reduction isn't the greatest, but considering I will be running ear pro/comms anyway (unsuppressed secondary) its not that big of a deal....I believe it will be enough to be comfortable indoors etc even with ear pro, or if the situation arises, shooting it without protection....

My concern is more in line with, Do I want a self servicing can instead? How much of a disadvantage is not being able to disassemble and clean it compared to those cans which you can?

I was also interested in the Surefire Mini, but i don't think the benefits outweigh the big price difference, plus I know some guys running the mini's at work, and they are not -extremely- impressed with them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d like to see Db comparisons on the Socom mini, Sandman k, Micro 30 etc

No, you don’t want a serviceable cebterfire rifle can. It’s unnecessary.

I like my socom Mini and my Sandman S. That said, I have more than a dozen centerfire cans and they fill roles. I couldn’t have wanted the socom mini as my first. And I paid $695. Look abt lanbo’s armory and arms unlimited for cheap SF stuff
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The K is good to go.   No complaints with mine.  Consider the flash hiding endcap.  It makes a big difference on the K.

https://deadairsilencers.com/recoil-because-fk-your-flame-dead-air-flash-hider-endcaps/
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
just go into it knowing the suppression on a rifle round isn't going to be as quiet as you think it will be.

For a first suppressor, I would go 22 if you want quiet quiet, or a 45 suppressor for pistol and still get fairly quiet. Shooting 147 9mm through my osprey sounds like dropping a heavy book onto a desk

Rifle cans are going to be loud/. Shorter rifle cans are going to be louder. Especially for 556

I'm getting an Omega 300 and I'm going to put it on an 11.5 upper. I know its going to be loud, but I knew that going in.

Just making sure you know and your expectations are matching up with what you're going to see. Spending 600-1200 on a can and stamp to have it be disappointing sucks
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:04:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll be the devils advocate for a minute about a user serviceable rifle can.

Generally I agree that for the most part user serviceability isn't needed on rifle cans but there are some exceptions.
If you are a high volume shooter and/or shoot subsonic rounds.. especially some 300blk loads then a user serviceable rifle can makes sense.

After getting a lot of buildup in a AAC can, my next two rifle cans were user serviceable.
One of them gets used on pistols a lot and has been cleaned a few times. The other I have not yet needed to clean.. but will likely do it in the next few months.

But dont let that be your primary "feature" because like others have said, it's not that big of a deal for most.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Just understand that most centerfire rifles suppressed are still not hearing safe, and at best are unpleasant to shoot without ear pro.

Rimfire cans I have a love hate relationship with becuase they are so fun to shoot but cleaning them kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t have a sandman K so I can’t speak directly to that can but I wouldn’t hesitate to use or buy another mini size can.

Like you, the highest levels of dB reduction are not my #1 criteria for a (especially semi auto) rifle can.  I use a specwar 556K on my sbr and a 16” AR and I am totally happy with it.  I always shoot my cans with ear plugs in and they are completely comfortable in terms of noise level.

I have to protect my hearing and in the past I would wear plugs and muffs but I hate wearing ear muffs - this is honestly one of the top reasons that I bought suppressors in the first place.  The K can takes the noise down to an easily managed level while adding minimal length/weight.  Also, if I absolutely had to use the gun without ear pro, it would be much, much less harmful to the ears compared to a bare muzzle.

Given where your priorities are, I think the sandman K will be a good choice but you might also look at the Rugged Razor and Micro 30.  The next set of cans I buy will include both the sandman K and S.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top